close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any machine shop or metal type dudes tuned in?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by KC Kahr, Apr 30, 2012.

1. KC Kahr

KC Kahr

Had a trailer mishap a couple of years ago and bent the tow bar or tongue bar or whatever it's called.

Goes down the road OK, don't pull much. But it does wear my tires unevenly and those cheap-*** things cost a fortune and didn't last 3500 miles when it was straight.

Any suggestions on how I might straighten that? Tried a sledge. Tried a pipe wrench, big cheater bar and a torch, but looked like the wrench (Chinese pot metal) was ready to bust.

Could a machine shop do it and what would be a ballpark figure, ya think? Thanks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  2. Resqu2

Resqu2

Try this, if you got some big clamps and a solid piece of metal that's kinda long clamp it along the straight section real good then use a few more clamps to try to pull the bent part over. May or may not work, you really need that piece replaced and it shouldn't cost that much to do, it's so simple I'd do it for you if you wasn't in Kansas.

3. Cubdriver

Cubdriver

I'd say your best bet might be to take it to a welding shop and have them cut out the bent section and weld in a replacement piece.

No clue on potential cost.

-Pat

4. texasglong

texasglong NRA Life Member

You need a Welder, not a machine shop.
    Cut out the kink, replace the square tubing. weld it back. It may effect the towing capacity some though.

5. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

You can heat it and straighten it to some degree.
    The best option would be cut the tongue aft of the bend/crease.
    The replace the bent section of tubing. Larger tubing can be
    used to strengthen to splice joints. Welding would be the best
    option, but splicing and bolting could be an option.

Less than $100,....where in Kansas are you?
    Drop me a pm.........I'm in Manhattan

6. arclight610

arclight610

Cut, reweld, reinforce with bolted on/welded plates. Job for someone with a welder, not a machine shop.

7. KC Kahr

KC Kahr

Kansas City. I rarely carry more than 500 lbs and probably never will. Rated for 2,000. If I could bend it back a couple of inches, I'd be happy. I'm really not worried about weakening the bar or the cosmetics of it all. And I'm a cheapskate, too.

Cut out the bad and weld in new is probably the best option, but I'd rather try a redneck solution first. I've got a saw and a flux wire welder (may be too weak) but I'm a crappy welder also.

Thanks for the tips so far.

p.s. - I've got the wiring to screw with, too that runs inside the bar....

8. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Local fabrication shop should be able to fix you up. If you are a poor welder I wouldn't try to fix that myself, I have seen loose trailers on the interstate, on I75 in Michigan I watched a guys boat turn back into fiberglass mat.

9. bobby_w

bobby_w Alienigena Platinum Member

That is a pretty long tongue piece. I would cut out the bent section, clean it up and bevel the ends and have it butt welded and maybe have a strap welded on each side. If the welder is any good, it will be stronger than the original metal.

I have done a lot of metal work and that is my .02 cents.

10. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

Don't be a dumbass and do it right. Bending it a couple inches won't fix the problem. Doing it the right way will be easier anyway.

11. 17&27

17&27

Have a welding shop cut off the bent section, sleeve the remaining section with tubing that is an internal slip fit, install new material for tongue, butt weld tongue material and rosette weld tongue to internal sleeve.

12. RustyShackelford

RustyShackelford > OD Glock 32

That might fit both the "red-neck solution" and actually be a good solution besides. My first impression was that it looked longer than most others I'd seen.

/that's what she said

13. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Why not just replace the entire piece? Your local steel supplier has box beam and c-channel in all sizes and should sell by the foot. HH

14. jknight8907

jknight8907

You don't straighten it. The damage is done, bending it back will only make it worse (though it will look 'all better'). The real fix is to cut it out, weld in a new section of tube, and plate the joints.

That being said....it looks like that's just a piece of square tube that bolts to the trailer. If so, forget the welder or fab shop. Just buy a new piece of tubing and cut to length (now is a good time to add more length if you want a better-pulling trailer), and swap the coupler over to the new tubing. Any fool can do the simple cut & drill for that, and it will be cheaper than paying a welder to fix the existing one.

15. Kevin108

Kevin108 THIS IS IN ALL CAPS

+1

Although I would be game to try jackknifing the tongue against a tree and (with a spotter) backing up some to straighten it out. Your combination of yard and/or vehicles may not allow for that but if it does, what else have you got to loose?

16. LippCJ7

LippCJ7

Done this several times, two choices either will suffice fine and keep the existing tow rating.

1. Replace the tongue completely, probably slightly more expensive but would need better pics but the ideal solution and probably the most common.

2. Cut the bend out, sleeve it and reweld it with butt welds at the splice(beveled edges) as well as a couple holes cut in the tongue to weld the sleeve, paint and done this is quicker but just as strong you can do most of the work yourself and it will take a welder less then an hour, the welder will be your biggest cost.

Total cost parts and labor are probably in the $300 range for option two, option one as stated I would need to see how far the tongue extends past the load portion of the trailer.

Bring it by my house and we can do it this weekend for a case of Corona, feel like a road trip?

17. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Don't section it out. Have the entire piece cut out and have a new one welded in.

You don't want to take chances with these kind of things. Trust me. I've seen it happen. Do it right and don't skimp!

18. dwhite53

dwhite53

You might be able to straighten it using a come-a-long. Hitch the trailer up to your tow vehicle. Load up the trailer. Wrap the come-a-long around the bent area and connect the other end to a tree or some other substantial fixture and start cranking. Be sure you're not bending your hitch on your tow vehicle. Try this at your own risk. I won't be responsible for any damages that occur. Otherwise, I'd cut, sleeve, and bolt/weld it back. All the Best, D. White

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  19. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

make sure to film it for youtube

20. vafish

vafish

Welding in a new piece is the right option.

But a piece of chain and a high lift jack would straighten it.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine