close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any jewelry appraisers out there?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by StoneDog, Mar 20, 2010.

1. StoneDog

StoneDog

A few months ago I found this in a parking lot:

[​IMG]

It has 5 stones, don't know the carat weight and the stones seem to be very high quality. The whole thing is 16.6mm long and the bottom stone is 3.7 mm in diameter

We did the right thing and told the building management about the find and left our name/number. It's been long enough now that I can do something with it and still have a clean conscience.

It has been professionally cleaned and the jeweler said it was probably worth $700 to $900 new. As you can see, the setting needs adjustment...

Anyway, local pawn shops and "we buy jewelry" places are offering between $40 and $75 which seems low (even if they want to flip it for a profit).

Any thoughts on what this might be worth in the real world?

2. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Sandbox Refugee CLM

It looks like a pendant, am I right?

At 3.7 mm your bottom stone is 15-20 points, IOW less than a 5th of a carat. From the pic it looks like they are nice enough stones. Pawn shops don't give **** on jewelry, especially with the economy in the tank because so many of thier customers can't buy luxuries like that now. Getting it fixed will eat up most of what it's worth.

Another thought might be to get it fixed and polished and give it as a gift, maybe Birthday or Christmas to a woman in your life?

ETA - It might sell for $100-150 after being fixed.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

It's simple yet beautiful. I agree with LW. You wouldn't get much for it. If it were me, I would just wear it. Any lady in your life that would wear it?

4. StoneDog

StoneDog

The wife isn't interested in keeping it and is even less interested in seeing me give it to another woman. :)

The stones are nice and it's already been polished up and one of the big name retailers, we just need to have the top setting adjusted. I've put it on craigslist at $250, will see if I get any takers. Maybe I should try the Misc Non Gun Stuff forum here - wouldn't mine turning this into a Bersa .380 or similar...