close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

any javelina hunters?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by mpol777, Oct 18, 2002.

1. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

i have 1 week left to submit for spring javelina. i know of an area where these little buggers hang out and was wondering if anyone has hunted these before.

the ones that i've spotted didn't seem very stout. i was thinking either a .223 rifle or lightly loaded .44 mag handgun to take them.

2. tjpet

tjpet

I've killed 5. First 2 were with a .223, last 3 with a .22 mag. The .223 tore them up to a degree. The mag w/Win. 40 grn. HP's anchored them solidly without damaging any meat.

Your idea of a lightly loaded .44 mag sounds good and should work out nicely. Good luck.

3. ButchC

ButchC 2 B 1 ASK 1

I've had great success with .223, .243 and .257 Roberts. My father uses a Ruger .44 carbine with light loads and has never needed a second shot on a javelina. Up close, .410 slugs are pretty effective, too.

4. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

is there anything specific when it comes the cleaning these things, or is it the same deal as most 4 legged critters?

5. ButchC

ButchC 2 B 1 ASK 1

Cleaning? You want to eat one? The only recipe for javelina I've ever seen goes as follows:

Kill javelina.
    Gut carcass and place on pine board.
    Heavily season with salt and pepper.
    Roast over open flame.
    Throw away the carcass and eat the board.

:)

6. tjpet

tjpet

Cut the musk glands out of the back legs, gut and clean like anything else. Marinate for a day or two, barbecue with sauce, pass the cole slaw and cold Tecate. Aside from the tusks making a nice momento of the hunt the hide makes some of the toughest work gloves going.

7. JOE MACK

JOE MACK

Don't remember when I've missed the HAM season in Az. We also hunt the San Carlos reservation. The musk gland on the back will peel off with the skin. Mainly, we make breakfast sausage out of our kills. Really good with home fries and scrambles eggs. I use a .41Magnum of some kind every year. The 170gr.JHC Sierra at 1600fps works fine on the little critters. Depending on the breeze, you can smell them before they're in sight. RKBA!