Any issues /Vickers Ext Mag Release?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by pm666, Jan 1, 2010.

1. pm666

pm666

I was wondering if anyone had any issues after installing a Vivkers Extended Mag Release? I have one, but I'm hesitant to install it. Even though I don't use/have a holster, I wouldn't way to lay it down, etc. and have the mag disengage. Also, I've seen a number of vids on how to replace it and I pretty much understand everything, I'm just not sure which way to push the mag release spring/lever/rod out of the way.

Thanks,
    p

2. xm21

xm21

No problems with the one I installed in my G19.You can lay the pistol on its side and mash down on the whole gun and it will not release the magazine.

3. FNFAN

FNFAN

It's perfect! Got one for my Son also.

4. sgtlmj

sgtlmj NRA Life Member Millennium Member

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  5. pm666

pm666

The instructions I rec'd with the mag release state, "IMPORTANT NOTE! Some models of Glock pistols MAY have a deeper magazine catch pocket than others. This means your new Vickers Tactical magazine release COULD extend further out than desired, and may release the weapon's magazine when the weapon is placed on its left side on a flat srurface (such as a night-stand, etc.)

Also, the instructions specify right and left sides a few times, but it doesn't specify right or left with a reference point. I'm assuming right or left based on looking at the gun in a normal firing position.

6. pm666

pm666

For example:
    "Using a small screwdriver, reach into the magazine well and place the edge of the screwdriver blade under the LEFT side of the magazine catch spring, close to the magazine catch."
    Then: "Push the spring to the RIGHT, then pry out the groove located at the bottom of the magazine catch."
    Then: "TIP: Be sure to hold the right side of the magazine catch with a finger to prevent the magazine catch from moving when starting to pry the mgazine catch spring out of the groove."

7. pm666

pm666

8. Swamprattler

Swamprattler

I recently bought the new Vickers extended mag release for my 21sf. So far no issues. It is made well, looks great, and is smoothe rather than having the sharp corners of the glock extended mag realeases. Will update if there are any issues.

9. 2nd2none

2nd2none

I bought one for my issued G37, it is far superior to the regular mag catch, I tried Glocks extended one that was too long and could accidentally release the mag with the Glock one but not with the Vickers one, you will love it. The extended one became a project and I grinded it down to similar length to the Vickers one and put it on my G27.

10. tabacm11

tabacm11

You could save about 10 bucks by just getting a glock ext. mag catch and buying some 200-400 grit auto body sandpaper, knock the corners off and take it to the height you want, then you can cut in groves or whatever ya want. Depending on you body type you should be fine with just sanding the corners off. I carry iwb with a vm2 and ss by miltsparks and have never had an issue hitting the release. just another thought for ya.

11. farrellsm77

farrellsm77 Infidel Strong

I have one on my Glock 22 and I love it!!!

12. m4arc

m4arc

USMC03 did a test with the Glock OEM extended and the Vickers version by laying the gun on his nightstand and grabbing and pressing down, trying to simulate grabbing the gun in a paniced mode. He was able to release the mag using the extended version but not with the Vickers Tactical.

FWIW I run the Vickers mag catch in all my Glocks. I love them.

13. TeddyB

TeddyB

My POV, if Glock did not put it in there it does not belong in there and will only detract from designed operation of the pistol.

14. Slide Lock Satch

Slide Lock Satch

Interested to know how this Vickers Mag release works for left hand shooters.

My wife and I are both left handed and she has a problems with the standard short mag release. Of course the OEM is too long.

Any experience out there with lefties?

15. rboatright

rboatright

The OEM is too long, but golly-gee-batman, it's fiber filled nylon.

Get one of those sandpaper boards for doing fingernails. Sand it down until it is the height you like. Round the corners until the shape is one you like. Use a sharp knife or a triangular file to cut however many grooves or checkering you like.

Make the oem release yours. It's a short plastic stick. There's nothing to hurt. and if you over-cut it, buy another one for a couple of bux.

16. rboatright

rboatright

GLOCK MAKES AN EXTENDED RELEASE...

That makes it appear that their position on the subject is different than yours.

17. Slide Lock Satch

Slide Lock Satch

If I modify it myself it will not have the tacti-cool allure to it by being a Vickers product.

I may attempt this approach. Cheap. I have spare extended releases and did I say it was cheap?

18. mo.glocker

mo.glocker

get the vickers and dont look back,its perfect on myg19-jeff:wavey:

19. Palmguy

Palmguy Boom.

If less than optimal ability to release the magazine is the "designed operation of the pistol", then I suppose you may be correct. :upeyes:

20. lastevolution

lastevolution "Senior" Member

Only one problem where the mag unexpectedly came out and it was when I was taking off my pants at the end of the day. So far no problems while carrying and I've had the mag release on my carry gun for about a year now.