Any intrest in the 6mm ARC?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Deltic, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Deltic

Deltic

2. Pete perfection

Pete perfection

Can you shoot it out of a standard ar15 barrel and bolt. Can my bcm fire this round or does it need to be modified to handle this round. If not I’m all for it.

3. Deltic

Deltic

It can shoot out of an AR15 but you would need a 6mm ARC barrel with 6.5 Grendel bolt and magazine.

4. Pete perfection

Pete perfection

No interest here then. I just plink with mine. And when I want a punishing round I shoot my ak47.

5. shooterMcGee

shooterMcGee

definitely intriguing. With a new barrel, bcg, and mags you could shoot 6mm out of a standard ar15.

6. Deltic

Deltic

This is in a way based off of the 7.62x39 AK round by way of the .220 Russian/6mm PPC. The difference is it is meant to be able to reach out and get hits at 3 or 4 times the range. Up close I suspect it would do more damage as the AK round tends to poke pretty clean holes.

7. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

:laughing:

8. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Amigo, thanks for posting this.. I think at this point, I am "all in,' on this '6mm ARC.' I have shot a ton, of 6mm, and 7mm. I gave up my 6mm decades ago and went 7mm Rem Mag, but the presentation you have given here, (and I looked at more of it on you tube, and Hornady sight) has got the 6mm bug to bite again!

This is going to be far better choice, in my 'AR 15 platform,' (for me) over 5.56 out here, 'for my purposes.' A 108gr Hornady at over 27-2800fps, and just a few component changes, (no big deal there) and get the longer range, and flatter trajectory/energy, over the 556, is what I am looking for, and will work fine for me. Scoop up some dies and components for hand loading, and perhaps 'up these ballistic numbers a bit as well.' ;)

While 7mm Rem Mag, has been my ''long range' deer and up, 'do all' rifle/caliber, and I love all my levers, and big bore rifles and hog legs as well, but this 6mm ARC, will keep me in the 'AR platform,' for "Antelope, and 'long range turkey sniper' caliber. ;)

You have just cost me some $$$ ! It will money well spent, 'for me.'

Thanks for the posting!

CanyonMan
    :horse:

Deltic likes this.
  9. Rick James45

Rick James45

10. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

It's basically a 6.5 Grendel necked down to 6mm. The video doesn't say what bullet weight but if it were 110-112 grains that would be awesome. Otherwise I'd like to see the military adopt the 6.5 Grendel just the way it is, but either one would be better than the existing varmint round.

11. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Hornady is currently putting the 6mm ARC out with 108gr bullet. I stumbled across this little dude a few minutes ago, in the link I am providing here.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kmR56KxWgM

So far, I am still liking the 6mm ARC, for 'AR platform.' It will be a fun long range turkey sniper, and most of all for me 'out here,' it will be a great gun for the grand kids, for 'Texas deer' as well, staying in that 6mm cal, and a far better performer, than the 223/556.

CM

12. Deltic

Deltic

I think I saw 102grain and 108 mentioned in one of the many videos out there.

CanyonMan and Bus007 like this.
  13. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

I'll check that out... I know in this video (see above) 'I posted,' I like, "for AR platform," the data this guy showed on his "stats sheets.." Again, for 'me,' I like this in AR, because it has more bullet weight than 223/556. and will be nice for antelope, and even deer, with grand kids, and saying again, long range turkey sniper," for me! HA. Love that.

I have taken so many turkeys in my long life time, I could not say. Between guiding for over two decades for things, and my own personal hunting, and taking family, it is a boxcar full. I used to use the Remington model 788 in 6mm Rem, along the Beaver river in the lower part of the canyon draws, in NW Oklahoma, to pick off these big Toms, coming or going to the cotton woods. The ranges, I will not post here, so I don't get called a liar by those who do not/have not, lived and hunted in this type environment... ;) :D:p

It is nothing "new," to some of us out here in Texas, or on the ranch in Okla., with the right equipment. However, calling them in and working them to almost sit on the front sight of the shotgun (HA) is a tremendous thrill, "still," I do love the "sniper-effect," way out 'yonder...' ;)

I do believe this 6mm ARC, ('which this thread is first I have ever heard of it,' mainly because I hand load everything, and really don't care for factory ammo much) will be just what I need, for what I have mentioned here. May as well have all the extra fun I can, while I can...! Amen!

Thanks again hombre!

CanyonMan