Any instances of firing pin safety actually used?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by CZ Glock, Aug 8, 2020.

1. CZ Glock

CZ Glock

Glocks are safe guns...with multiple passive safeties. The firing pin safety being the last line of defense should something mechanically go wrong.

Any instances of a non-mod Glock having to actually need to use this safety?

And no... I don't plan on making any mods in my Glock. It's fine the way it is.

I'm just curious..for knowledge' sake.

I guess the first indication of this happening would be to discover a dead trigger (being activated from the forward position) with a round in the chamber....right?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    knoxrocks222 likes this.
  2. MajorD

MajorD

The firing pin safety is essentially a “drop safety” to keep the firing pin from firing a round in the chamber unless the trigger is pulled. Similar to the transfer bar in Ruger single actions of the series 80 system in some 1911’s

1eyedjack01 and Willard like this.

3. knoxrocks222

knoxrocks222

To understand the safeties in a Glock you need to understand how it works first, when you have a round chambered the firing pin isn’t locked in the full rearward position, think of it as a 1.5 action instead of a single/double. When you pull the trigger you are actually pulling the firing pin back the other half of the way back.

nerr and Doc Holliday like this.
  4. okiegtrider

okiegtrider

It is constantly in use. It's just how the pistol works.

1eyedjack01, fuzzy03cls and Willard like this.
  5. Snoopy47

Snoopy47

Slam it on the ground as hard as you can. The hit it with a hammer on the back of the slide.

If it doesn’t go off then the safety is working.

jmontgomery and FullClip like this.
  6. cciman

cciman MacGyver

Yes. It's more like the first line of defense.

Keeps firing pin from hitting the primer under any circumstances unless the trigger is actively pulled, whether or not there are humans around.

Say a Navy Seal is jumping out of a plane and his Glock falls out of his leg holster and hits the ground 3 miles away... FPS keeps the impact from making the FP hit the primer.

Lots of guns do not have FPS: early series 1911's (other single action type semi-autos), AR's, AK's, most revolvers, etc.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    FullClip likes this.
  7. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

Prolly more than we'll ever know.......next.
    YbeingthankfulthefpswasthereandadmittingyouneededitMMV

8. 4Rules

4Rules

It'll work, so long as it's clean, but only when the trigger is either pressed or released.

If it's dirty, and it fails, it'll still allow you to shoot.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uSr-hr88UE

9. KindOfBlue

KindOfBlue

I read somewhere that when demonstrating Glocks for an army, they dropped a Glock with a round chambered from a helicopter hundreds of feet off the ground. After it was dropped someone shot it to show it still worked fine. Sorry if I'm getting the details wrong. Suffice it to say the Glock safety system is very robust as long as nothing touches the trigger enough to defeat the trigger safety.

10. CZ Glock

CZ Glock

The reason I'm curious is that I've noticed wear along the ridges on my firing pin. I'm assuming that's the spot that interfaces with the firing pin safety nub.

I've removed the slide and did the firing pin safety check. Everything seems to be working fine. But I'm curious of what is causing the wear.

11. Parzival

Parzival

i am NOT a Glock expert by any means but i believe the FP safety only contacts the the striker on the front and then once disengaged by the trigger bar it should not be touching the side of the striker at all.

at the top of this forum is an excellent video about how the firing mechanism works on a Glock. its worth watching.

12. cciman

cciman MacGyver

Should have asked that from the start rather than start a discussion about FPS.
    Very inefficient way of getting to a solution.

Now pictures will help
    all, rather than 30 shotgun replies having nothing to do with the problem and leading you into dead ends. Good luck.

L-2 and SARDG like this.
  13. Mike-M

Mike-M

I asked the same type of question about safeties on the 160 W68 nuclear warheads on the 16 UGM-73 Poseidon Submarine-Launched Ballistic Missiles that I once lived with. If any particular safety had never ever actually been used to prevent an unintended or negligent detonation (UD or ND), I guess that it was probably unnecessary.

:)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  14. MNBud

MNBud

SSBN 622, the boat I was on NEVER had either, a UD or ND the entire four years I was aboard.:flag:

15. Nutty Professor 188

Nutty Professor 188 Patrol Corporal

Yes. It was in the mid 80s when the Glocks were just starting to be imported. It wasn't for the army, it was just a demo but cool never-the-less. I met the guy that dropped it at armorers school one time. Or he said he was. No way to prove it.

16. Nutty Professor 188

Nutty Professor 188 Patrol Corporal

The U.S. must build 'em good.
    I guess out all of the bombs lost from U.S. aircraft accident none went supercritical. I think some of them blew up from the conventional HE going off but no magic light came out.