Any HVAC experts here?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TheDreadnought, Aug 1, 2020.

1. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

AC Fan went out on our 3 y/o Carrier system tonight. I can’t go back to the guy that installed it because he’s unreliable.

Fan won’t run even when AC is off and set to the Fan On position. The black insulated line running to the interior unit was a little frozen up, but I don’t think it was too bad when I turned off the AC.

But I’m hopeful if it’s not a thermostat issue, (they are probably 20 years old) that the parts will be covered under warranty from Carrier at least.

Any tips on finding a good AC guy and not getting screwed?

catman71 likes this.
  2. sourdough44

sourdough44

No, since it’s the weekend, try some simple stuff. Check CB’s(though it sounds like fan runs with A/C on?). There is usually a switch in the door to change filter, must be depress for system to work.

If it comes to it, only a few wires in the thermostat, easy to change. Look at reviews, likely easy fix for repair person.

TheDreadnought likes this.

3. rj1939

rj1939

Where the movie "Poor White Trash" was filmed
    Mine went out some years ago, fan wouldn't come on, even though the compressor would start and run (til it kicked out, due to fan not running)

I took the top off of unit and laid a box fan on top of it, got enough airflow to keep the compressor running. It was an insanely hot night, to be without AC.
    The next day got the contactor changed out.

TheDreadnought and mj9mm like this.
  4. selogic

selogic

Which fan ? Indoor or outdoor ? I doubt it's a thermostat issue .

5. zonian

zonian

I had an issue with my HVAC once. Old system circa 1991 vintage. Stuck relay on the main CB. Tapped it with a screwdriver and was back in business...

6. Anicius Julianus

Anicius Julianus

1) Have someone check your refrigerant level
    2) Have someone check your capicators

7. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Liberals 'R Bad!!!!

Especially the flux capacitor.

faceplant and FullClip like this.
  8. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

A 3-yr old system is still under some level of warranty. Call a pro and have them fix it. Best way to find a reliable one is by asking around. I have had the same guy for 15 years now. Also, do you have any preventative maintenance done? Most people are too cheap to invest in that but consider it an insurance policy for your air conditioner. It’s cheap and well worth the expense.

faceplant, Micad and TheDreadnought like this.
  9. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Capacitors are the most likely issue...especially its its humming. There are two and one has the job of starting the fan. 10 minute fix for a technician.

10. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

Agreed.

It's not the stat. It's almost never the stat.

11. TwoAnoles

TwoAnoles

Most smaller condenser fans only have a run capacitor, as there is little starting torque required.

OP which fan isn't running? The blower inside the furnace or the condenser fan (one outside). If your furnace blower isn't running, that would explain the frosted up suction line.

12. ked

ked

OP States that the fan won’t run even when the AC is off and the fan control is in the on position

he also mentioned that the suction line was frozen. If that’s the case, the evaporator coil could be blocked with ice. If so, no air would get through the ductwork.

Did you check airflow at the registers, or do you know that the blower motor is not running because you can’t hear it at the furnace?

we certainly don’t have enough information, but if the line is frozen, he needs to check refrigerant charge, as has been mentioned

13. peng

peng

My unit had this problem. It wanted to run, but the fan blades would not turn.

I was told it was the capacitor. Take off the access panel and take a look. A bad capacitor will likely be bulged out, mine was not.

My problem was, the fan blades were simply frozen in place from rust or gunk - being outside uncovered in the winter. The blades are supposed to be free spinning so I just took a chopstick, poked it inside the grates and literally pushed on the blade until it broke free. A butter knife would also work. Ran for the rest of the year, and have had to repeat for the first operation of the year a few times now. Not a hard item to replace either actually.

Give it a try, it's free unlike every other option you have.

14. BuckeyeGlock77

BuckeyeGlock77

I’m not an expert, but I would venture to bet it’s a capacitor. I’m not handy, but change mine when goes out and 99.9% of the time that is the issue.

I just changed mine again. Lasted 5 years and it wasn’t bulged out. Sometimes they bulge, sometimes they don’t. Don’t assume it’s not bad because no bulge.

It’s a $40 part. Get one and try it - if not it, keep on hand. You will need it eventually.

15. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

Thanks guys. I have the AC guys coming Monday.

I’m guessing it’s a capacitor issue as well. Will that prevent the indoor fan from running? That is the one that is non-responsive.

I’d love to look at it myself, but it’s at a hard to access place on the roof. Best to have a pro do it, unfortunately.

On the plus side, things have cooled off here, so waiting until Monday shouldn’t be a big deal. Last week it would have been torture and I’d have to pay emergency rates.

16. peng

peng

If they says it's a capacitor, have them show you with a multi meter. Lots of videos online about this. Poster above is correct in saying the bulge or lack of is not a guarantee of capacitor function.

Neighbor had stuck fan blades, guy came out, replaced the capacitor that was fine (we checked it after), unstuck the blades and charged him a ton. Guaranteed future business. Replacing the entire fan is not very expensive either. Less so than the compressor anyway. Good luck.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  17. rj1939

rj1939

Where the movie "Poor White Trash" was filmed
    My son says capacitors are a common problem, very common.

Another thing he told me, he puts in a good many "hard starting kits" on not very old systems. That isn't very encouraging, but it will buy you some additional life on a dying compressor.
    I know years ago, it wasn't uncommon to have a brand new compressor not want to start, they would put a bigger capacitor on it, whack it a bit, once it started, it would likely not cause any more problems.

LEO/Dad likes this.
  18. BuckeyeGlock77

BuckeyeGlock77

I don’t think a capacitor would impact the inside fan (my inside fan still ran), the outside unit would not run.

I’d say bad thermostat or perhaps even a breaker??

You could buy a new thermostat pretty cheap and try it. Just take a pick of the wires before you take off, and I’d also label them with some labels. I switched to a nest, and again was an easy project.

Good luck!

19. ked

ked

Look at the brown wires (3/16” diameter)where they come into the indoor unit. There’s probably 2 of them See if any are broken or the insulation is off. Also, unplug the unit and open bottom panel of furnace. On the board there should be a 3 or 5 amp fuse. Check visually to see if it’s good. If not, you have a short in the wires. Possibly a rat chewed a wire.
    while your in there, there’s probably a capacitor mounted on the blower housing. You would need a special meter to check if it’s good

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  20. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

Guys, it's the BLOWER that's not running. Not the condenser fan. At least from the info he's given. Changing the outdoor capacitor will do NOTHING for that.

It may be the blower capacitor or something jamming the blower wheel.

TheDreadnought and napp32 like this.