Any HK VP70 owners?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by .45Super-Man, Mar 26, 2010.

1. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

I have an opportunity to pick up an excellent condition VP70 and have a few questions. Aside from actually being the first polymer pistol ever, it has several characteristics that seperate it from the rest of the pack and I've always had a natural attraction to more unique firearms. Are the triggers really THAT horrible? Do the Wolff striker springs make a noticeable difference and does anyone know where extra mags and spare parts can be found? It's remarkable just how far ahead of its time this thing was! To think, production on these blowback autos began in 1970 and at that time there was NOTHING that used it's method of construction or even vaguely resembled it. Having an 18 rnd capacity makes it more than competitive with anything out there today. How anyone could leave this pistol off of a "top ten" list of most innovative handguns ever, is beyond me??!!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  2. Chronos

Chronos

I don't own one, but my $.02:

No doubt it would get the job done for self defense, and be cool as a unique and historical piece.

But really, a user-friendly trigger is hugely important. To me, anyway.

3. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

I agree, but this wouldnt be a "nightstand gun", I have a Steyr M9A1 for that. Just something very cool, unique and significant from a manufacturing standpoint.

4. bac1023

bac1023

I want one at some point as a collector, but not for serious use.

5. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

I had a VP70Z. The VP70 is a select fire machine pistol. The VP70Z was very unpopular. It was listed in Gun Digest at $599 for the first few years, then the price dropped a hundred or so dollars until it bottomed out around $250.
    Horrible trigger, blowback action, space gun looks and came in a cardboard box :rofl:

It boasted only 4 operating moving parts, but I recall more than that such as the cross bolt safety and the take down lever, but these were not designated operating parts. It could be detail stripped with a coin. It utilized a unique light and shadow sight picture.

I don't think any aftermarket spring will help the trigger much. In addition to being heavy, it is long.

I traded mine for a Ruger Security Six in stainless steel and felt bad for the other guy, who was very pleased at the time of the trade but still gives me a hard look to this day some 30 years later. One of the few guns I do not regret trading, regardless of any perceived collector's value.

6. ronin.45

ronin.45

I've shot several and yes, the trigger is THAT bad. Cool gun all around though. It was ahead of it's time for sure.

7. blueiron

blueiron

Are the triggers that horrible? Yes, they are.

It was designed as a military firearm and designed to be a machine pistol with the shoulder stock.

Changing spring rates isn't going to do much to eliminate or reduce the roughness and geometry in the mechanical fire control interface.

Interesting piece, but they are more collector's curios these days and parts are not easily available.

8. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I've had one since they were imported with 4 magazines.

It is an unusual gun.

Back when HK was user friendly they sent me a couple extra striker springs free. I started to cut one down a quarter inch at a time until I figured another cut would make the gun unreliable. It greatly helped the trigger but it was still bad.

I lost three of the magazines in a fire in 1995. At that time I found a couple more magazines but they were $75 each. I didn't buy them. No telling what they would cost today if you did find any.

Something interesting about the gun that most people don't know is the barrel lands/groves are so deep that the bullet can't seal the propelling gas. The gun is designed to blow by, thereby reducing the pressure of the 9mm round. This also reduces the bullet velocity by hundreds of FPS. I chronographed it years ago and as I recall the velocity was down to about 800-900 FPS.

In the past when I was on the road a lot I thought about using the gun for a car gun but decided against it due to the low bullet velocity. My idea of a car gun is one that will go through a car.

The sights are also super weird. The front sight is not a post, but a cut out in a ramp, giving the impression of a front post. This is a novel, but dumb idea. The front sight blocks too much of the threat from view.

I would love to have the gun as the machine pistol it was designed to be.

9. ubersoldat

ubersoldat

Yup, I agree.
    I sold mine last year.
    Great for a collector but horrible to shoot. And I for one, like to shoot my guns.

10. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

Thanks for all the comments, I'm having 2nd thoughts now.:upeyes:

11. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

Another vote for a horrible trigger

12. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I'll probably never sell mine but I don't see any reason to have another.

13. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

When a man with over a dozen Makarov's says that you best pay attention.

14. Gokyo

Gokyo

Seriously You really can not believe how bad the trigger is until you try it.

My first 10/22 had a horrible trigger my friend desribed the ruger's trigger as...

Dragging a cinder block up a flight of stairs

I would say the VP70 is like...

dragging a 55 gallon barrel of cement up a flight of stairs.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  15. ubersoldat

ubersoldat

Yea if the stairs were covered in 60 grit sandpaper, and the cement in the drum was still wet!

16. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

One of the few guns that I was glad to get rid of. It was too ugly to be cool. Too crappy to be interesting. Not even the historical value was enough for me. I was glad to trade it for my P225.

17. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

Yea, I think I'll pass on this one.

18. ronin.45

ronin.45

It's been so long I forgot all about the crazy sights. They were a completely novel solution to a problem that was already solved.

19. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

First Lego gun. :) From what I've read, crappy trigger. I'd like to have one as a novelty / collector's item.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  20. TED

TED Millennium Member

I've owned two. I was a slow learner. Both times I was gald to get rid of it. Don't do it.

TED