close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any here use traditional muzzle-loading rifles & muskets for hunting?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Fox, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

Buckskinner

I use a Traditions percussion .50 caliber, 1/66" "Hawken Woodsman" rifle loaded with a cast .490 roundball over 60grs of Goex FFG for deer. I will be using it for wild boar pretty soon.

2. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

I do sometimes... it all depends on the weather.

The weather thing isn't what you think though. My father builds traditional muzzleloaders, 18 thus far to be exact! These things are beautiful & I don't care to take them out in the very crappy weather conditions. He has everything from 30 caliber to 75 caliber. My favorite is the 64 caliber "Yeager".

He hasn't built a single "side percussion" muzzleloader yet... he calls them "too modern"! You should have seen his face when I showed him my brand new T/C Encore, he wasn't impressed!;)

Here is a picture of my twin, fully functional, 25 caliber, "GI-Joe" scaled cannons he built for me when I was just a young'in:

3. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

Nice!

If I had those when I was a kid, I would have been shooting down entire regiments of those green plastic toy soldiers.

4. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Yup… I used to have a lot of GI-Joe stuff around… used to……. ;)

My father used to be really, really into "colonial reenactments". He says he’ll get back to them when he retires in a few years. He has all the stuff, cloths, camping gear, etc, etc… He also does Scrimshaw & plays the dulcimer. I thought I had the coolest dad in the whole world when I was growing up… I still do!;)

5. Sugarfoot

Sugarfoot

Just recently used a .50 Cal T/C

Hawken to take a 230 lb russian boar

6. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

Excellent! ;c

Would you have any photographs? Video?

7. Sugarfoot

Sugarfoot

Unfortunately I don't..

You'd think with the planning we had in the trip we'd at the very least have pics we could post..

Dropped the ball major league !!!

8. Matthew Temkin

Matthew Temkin

I have two..A 50 cal T/C White Mountain carbine and a Lyman Deerstalker carbine.
    Both use 100 grains of Pyrodex with a 350 grain T/C maxi hunter.

But my friend just bought a 50 cal. T/C encore rifle, and I am getting tempted. Especially since scopes are now legal here in NYS.

9. bbauman

bbauman Millennium Member

Use a sidelock percussion .50 for deer and sidelock percussion .36 for squirrel/rabbit. Addictive things.

10. thisaway

thisaway

I use a .50 flintlock Hatfield rifle for ML season. I get some looks from the people around here expressing their thoughts that I'm crazy, too!

They only think I'm crazy...I haven't taken out my .75-cal. Brown Bess flintlock musket yet! ;f

11. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

I've got a .50cal Traditions Hawken Woodsman also, but mine is a 1/48" twist, and I've got the left-handed model. I bought mine from Gander Mountain's catalog (when they still had a mail-order catalog) for less than $200 delivered to my door by my mailman. I'll be deer hunting with it this coming Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I use saboted .429", 300gr pistol bullets. Not as "traditional" as the roundballs, but a lot more accurate beyond 50 yards... and you've only got one shot, so it better be a good one. :)