Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nephew was pulled over doing 81 in a 55 and an attorney is trying to get him to hire him to go to court with him for $600. He is 20 yrs old and has a only one other speeding ticket. Is it worth it to use the attorney to try and get it reduced or dropped or just go to court and face the judge?

Thanks in advance. My sister is driving me crazy on this.

·
No Infidels!
8,794 Posts
$600? Did he find this attorney, or did the attorney find him?

The answer should tell you something.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He found the attorney.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it is a reckless ticket. Just wondering if an attorney will make a difference in that county. I told them to call the clerks office to see if the fine will be less than the $600 the attorney is asking for. Waiting to hear if they find that info.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Honestly... what kind of road was he on? An interstate? A US route? etc... That will determine how bad the speeding was. Was he going that fast?

Most of the time, prosecutors will lower the speed down to give people a break. Since 80 is reckless, dropping it 2mph will mean a lower fine, fewer points, etc.

I'd try to talk to the DA first and if they insist on doing it that way, ask for a lawyer then. I wouldn't pay $600 to a lawyer for a speeding ticket I was guilty of.

·
Registered
996 Posts
My (out of state) father got a reckless for 13 over :upeyes: on I95 in VA recently. He got an atty for $300 to handle his case. They're out there for less than 6.

The bigger concern isn't so much the cost of the attny, rather the effect if insurance learns of a reckless charge. That will probably me much more in the long run than a few hundred in attny fees.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts