Any Guitar Players ??

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by mountainboy04, Feb 16, 2010.

1. mountainboy04

mountainboy04

I am curious, is there a fairly noticable difference in the current production made in Mexico fender strats Vs. the current production American made Strats? other than the price tag??

2. fowl intent

fowl intent

My understanding is that they are using the same components, just assembled in Mexico as opposed to the US. So as long as they Mexican strats come with a Fender warranty, it seems like you are paying a several hundred dollar premium for the "USA" label.

3. kestrou

kestrou Pin Member #4

Guitar players? Here?!

Nope, we're all gun nuts - you're on the wrong board, brother! :tongueout:

kestrou

4. UncleLuke

UncleLuke G27 Owner

If you have to ask this, you would be better off with the made in Mexico Fender.

5. mountainboy04

mountainboy04

hmm. i was under the impression the MIM fenders used different pickups...not exactly sure where i heard that from. and i honestly don't even know if the strat would work out that great with me...i have been playing a les paul for a good while. but everytime i see a strat...i feel like i need one!

6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

There is a difference,......

US bodies are normally 3 piece, MiM can be 4 or 5
    Necks are a toss up, frets on US models seem to be a better dressed
    Electronics and hardware are better on the US
    Finish is a toss up
    US Fenders tend to hold their value more.

7. mountainboy04

mountainboy04

anyone know off the top of their heads if the "highway-one" series strats are MiA?

8. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

I would save and get the best one you can, regardless of actual components or where it's made. I did that with my acoustic, which yes, is a great deal different when you are talking an Ibanez compared to my Taylor. However, even with the foreign made electrics, you will want to play and hear it before you buy it. I am not good enough to really compare electrics but I did get a screaming deal on an Ibanez Artist AR300 with a flame maple top and dual humbuckers, I love it. If I could I would get a Les Paul, a real one.

I splurged on the Taylor acoustic and am not sorry at all. To me, the electrics are much different as you can upgrade components and customize your sound. Wood quality, I don't know that much about the solidbodies but I know that Les Paul sustain is legendary. I had a Fender American Standard Telecaster that I kick myself for trading, it was a better playing, feeling and sounding electric.

Save up, make payments to Musician's Friend/Guitar Center if you have to....go big.

9. sawzall

sawzall

Hmm, aren't those the ones that are "assembled in Mexico with US parts"? They were looking to fill the MiM/US price gap I think with that line. Of course, this is going off of my Musicians Friend catalog studies of a year or two ago, definitely could be wrong.

On that note, I bought a US Strat new for $555 back in '98, now they are over twice that price. MiM's used to be about $350, now they are what a US used to cost, roughly.

10. PawDog

PawDog NRA Member

I've been told the Highway One is assembled in the USA, with most components made in Mexico. I have a 1993 American Standard Strat with a rosewood neck, and a 1993 Korean Strat with a maple neck. The pickups are noticably hotter on the US model, but both play great.

I building my own Telecaster right now, using mostly USA parts, but did buy the neck from China.......can't wait to try it out in a couple of months.:cool:

11. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I guess it depends on the model. I've got a MIM RoadHouse Strat that came with Texas Specials and USA components, in writing. It was more than the base MIM Strat though...HH

12. dammechanic

dammechanic

I've played electric bass for 30 yrs. I have compared the mexican jazz bass to an american one. The pickups, bridge, and tunning nuts were all better quality on the American one.

13. sawzall

sawzall

I have used American Musical's payment plan several times, it works great. www.americanmusical.com
    No don't work for them, just a customer.

14. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

You're right, they have a great program too. I bought my Line 6 Spider Jam amp from them.

15. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

Good advice. I love my 2004 Fall Limited 314 CE Tasmanian Blackwood:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Hey Officers...I had a buddy so sold on Martins he wouldn't consider a Taylor...all I had to tell him was to play them side by side. He went home with a Taylor. They have the most amazing sound. Funny ours are almost the same, I have a 315CE (jumbo) with the Fishman system, wish I had the Expression, maybe next time. Nothing sounds like a Taylor to me, they are worth every penny, even if they are on the low end of their selections. That's a beautiful guitar you have there.

17. Tactical black

Tactical black

Every mim strat I played did not sound or play as well as the american strat imo instruments are much more enjoyable to play the better quality you get I think the american strat would be worth the extra money

:music:

18. Tactical black

Tactical black

I love the wood on the back and sides

19. Cooper

Cooper

I work in a music store and I own Fender guitars.

The Fender Standard series, made in Mexico, is absolutely the best value out there in electric guitars. The American guitars are better, but not by much. Americans have better pickups, but these can be easily replaced, and a lot of players replace the American pickups as well with after-markets. The finish is not any better, unless you get a sunburst model, in which case it is usually dramatically better.

The bridges on the American guitars are sometimes considered better, but the standard bridges have their devotees as well.

The necks are great on both guitars. I've seen just as many American necks that I didn't like as Meixcan necks. Just depends on your preference and the individual instrument.

The American guitars come with a case.

The Highway One guitars are indeed American made, using mostly American parts. The finish is fragile. This year they have introduced the American Special series, which goes for $799, and is a good deal if you absolutely must have an American guitar.

All that said, I love my American Telecaster. But if I had to buy another one, I would without a doubt get a Standard, Mexican Fender. The money saved could buy replacement pickups and an amp.

20. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

Thanks, I do too. Tasmanian Blackwood is sort of an Australian cousin to Hawaiian Koa. It sounds a bit deeper and brighter, but still clearly has the punchy mid's of Koa. I frankly love it and wouldn't sell this at any price. Taylor made 341 of these 314 CE L7 Blackwoods and 37 of it's 12-string brother, the 354 CE L7's (I had to grab one of those too when I lucked into finding one).