close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any good wireless PC card adapters?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by huntery, Aug 25, 2004.

1. huntery

huntery

I just broke my Orinoco card last night, messed around with it once too many times.
    Currently on a cheap $10 SMC 2635W card which disconnects every 15mins or so.
    Any good 802.11b PC cards out their that's not too expensive or a good PCI card adapter to try?
    Not looking to spend over $50 which was what the orinoco costs over 2 yrs ago.

2. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

3. huntery

huntery

Thanks d.g.
    I'll probably get 2 cards from them, a laptop and desktop pci.
    They sure have changed from the antenna on the card to an external one with a base. Some good reviews on the lower priced ones, too.

4. RonC

RonC

huntery...I just ordered a D-Link 802.11g PC card from Frye Electronics. Comes to $14.95 after $20 mail in rebate. Should be here today.

I use a D-Link wireless router and have been well satisfied. Since the wireless ethernet is 'good' if you don't know it is even there, I assume here is not a lot of feature discrimination available other than speed.

5. huntery

huntery

I'm using a D-link wireless router/AP now, No problems whatsoever, great range with dual antennas. (it's an older model)
    I'm just looking for the must avoid opinions. for instance, this SMC 2635W which I heard does not work well with XP. I'm using windows 2000.
    I also heard the Microsoft Cards do not work well. (they were in the $15 range after rebate, SMC was $10 after rebate)

6. lomfs24

lomfs24

In windoze I have liked my D-Link card. In Linux I like either an Orinoco card or I have an EnGenius card. The problem with the EnGenuis is that it has no antenna on the card. It has a place to plug an external antenna into. That's great for some applications and crappy for others. All in all both have been great cards for me.

7. gudel

gudel

i use linksys wpc54gs, and i also have netgear ma111. they all work fine. the linksys is $80, the netgear is $50, but there are rebates on those.

8. RonC

RonC

I received the D-Link cardbus card last night.

I was impressed. I ran the driver load from the CD. Shutdown and installed the card. Upon boot up, the installer ran, installed the software and the card came on-line, found my network and I was in.

Laptop is running XP. Took all of 10 minutes to complete the install. The card protrudes about 1 inch from the cardbus slot. The device is D-Link DWL-G630 (54Mbps) and total cost with shipping and after rebate will be $22