Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Tactically Epic
13,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at mags, I've tried the mag pul and they kind of suck. Gen 1 fits in my rifles but don't have the reinforced locking tabs, gen 3s don't fit at all. 'theres lots of taco and such with bad reps. I do see new brands popping up left and right but only see YouTube reviews of various levels of credibility.

Before I just stock up on surplus, anyone use any modern mags that are good?

·
M&P
6,406 Posts
I’ve had the opposite effect with my new PSA GF3 and Magpul. They only seem to want to work with Magpul. Tapco? No. US Palm? No. Steel ribbed? No. Aluminum? No. Russian? No. Yugo? No.
Some do work sometimes with medium modification. But I’d not trust them in life dependent situations.

·
Farmer, House Sitter and Cook
7,961 Posts
I bought a Korean plastic and a Polish metal from CDNN and they work just fine in my two AK rifles. Both brand new magazines not surplus. And they were each only $8.99 + shipping.

My Magpul 30-rd with the metal tabs is flawless in both my guns.

·
M62/76
14,439 Posts
I’ve had the opposite effect with my new PSA GF3 and Magpul. They only seem to want to work with Magpul. Tapco? No. US Palm? No. Steel ribbed? No. Aluminum? No. Russian? No. Yugo? No.
Some do work sometimes with medium modification. But I’d not trust them in life dependent situations.
PSA AKs don’t work with milsurp AK mags??? Geez, the folks that moaned about PSA getting into the AK game weren’t kidding.

Reactions: R_P_K_

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Anyone have anything to say about the Arsenal Circle 10 magazines?? I've wanted to try one for awhile now just never hit the buy now.....

The reviews on them are pretty impressive!
They are nice but they're about $50 ea.

For new production, steel mags I'd go with the Bulgarian (Gun Mag Warehouse) or Zastava steel mags.
The Zastava will have the BHO (bolt hold open) feature.

·
MacGyver
10,004 Posts
It's not the mag that is the problem, it is the gun-- every AK in the USA is different, even guns in your collection of AK's-- some are very picky (tight), others are loose. What works for one AK, may not work for another (variations in mag width, and receiver cutout, and pivot point and profile of the mag release catch- these are not cookie cutter ARs).. You have to find the one that works best for that specific gun. You have already discovered that some that don't. Trial and error.

I'm one of the few that likes the cheap Korean ones, and they fit all my AK's in my stable, and they drop free. YMMV.

·
MacGyver
10,004 Posts
It's not the mag that is the problem, it is the gun-- every AK in the USA is different, even guns in your collection of AK's-- some are very picky (tight), others are loose. What works for one AK, may not work for another. You have to find the one that works best for that specific gun (Comm block Euro mags are all over the place in variance). You have already discovered that some that don't. Trial and error.

I'm one of the few that likes the cheap Korean ones, and tehy fit all my AK's in my stable.

·
Tactically Epic
13,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My guns are a build on a nodak receiver a psa 103. All my surplus work, russian bake and waffle. Hungarian. Romanian.Yugoslavian. just fine. The magpu l Gen 3 with tabs straight up won't fit in either with several examples. Hen 1 that came with the psa fits in both but the lack of reinforcement is a joke. So magpuls off the table.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I have 1 or 2 of the MOE Magpul mags and have never had an issue, fine for range mags. Same for the Gen 3 with metal tabs. This is in stamped and milled Bulgarian and Romanian examples.

I do have a few Circle 10's bought at not today's prices and are what I prefer for defensive use.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have a fairly old AK that will feed and function with every mag I've tried to stuff into it! While the steel mags are a bit heavy, I simply don't like plastic mags (including on my AR's). They just seem cheap, although they do work in both platforms. I suppose if someone else were paying for them and they got tossed on the ground and forgotten every time I emptied one, I would feel better about them!
So far I've been able to pick up $10 or $11 used steel mags out of my LGS's "bucket of used stuff" and have not had any problems with any of them. Same with the 40 rounders, although you don't tend to find too many used ones. In that respect, AK's are great!
Cheers,
crkckr

·
Federal Member
30,476 Posts
I have 4 AK's, and many magazines, and drums. I have yet to find a AK mag that won't work in my AK's.

I have one 30rd Norinco mag, (that I paid $5 for) the mag spring is weak compared to my other mags. Even with a weak mag spring, it still feeds all 30rds every time I use it.

·
Rational
17,329 Posts
I bought these last year. They fit in my WASR 10/63, but it's a tight fit. Which doesn't bother me with how loose the mag well is.

Try the Bulgarian metal mags that CDNN SPORTS out of Texas sells
I was looking at these last night on GunMagWarehouse. Nice mags at a good price. Can't beat the old Soviet-style metal mags. I might just stack these deep.

Anyone have anything to say about the Arsenal Circle 10 magazines?? I've wanted to try one for awhile now just never hit the buy now.....

The reviews on them are pretty impressive!
VERY nice mags. I have exactly one that I will never part with. It was one of the first polymer mags I ever purchased, and I bought it at a gun show years ago, probably around 2006-ish or so. If I remember correctly, I paid something like $42 for it at the time, but don't quote me on that. I was totally naïve to the world of mags at the time, so I didn't think to buy more (and I don't recall more being sold anyways). It has always run reliably without a hitch.

If they weren't so damned expensive I'd buy more. Their 40 round version is $100.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts