any good at shootin pool??

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by youngvr4, Feb 14, 2010.

1. youngvr4

youngvr4

Well I suck as of right now, I'm somewhat new to the game, I've only played a handful of times in my life.
    My dad was a pool champ, big time.
    During superbowl Sunday my dad handed down his custom made original palmer cue stick.
    I went to a pool hall with it last night and the owner and other employees surrounded my table explaining to me how much it was worth. 3-4000 dollars they said.
    I guess I'm gonna put it up and not really play with it until I get really good and play a serious game.
    I'm flattered my dad gave this stick to me with what its worth, I really have to baby this thing

2. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL

3. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Nice. Ask your dad the history of the stick. Could be he won it in a tourney. Knowing things like this, no matter how it came about, you will cherish it all the more.

And take your dad down the pool hall. I bet he'd be thrilled to teach you the finer points of the game.

4. Annoyedgrunt

Annoyedgrunt Dry Heat my ASS

I used to be pretty good- to a point. I could usually hold my own with just about anyone else in a pool hall, but the aggravating thing about pool with me was that one given night I could be on fire- I couldn't miss a shot- and then the next night I couldn't buy a shot. In the end, I just gave it up because the consistency just wasn't there.

5. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR

Pretty much the same with me. I ran the table more than once then I'd scratch the next time, particularly if there was money on the table.

I quit betting on pool a long time ago.

6. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

I win more than I lose, but I just play casual games with buddies and stuff, don't go gunslinging down at the local pool hall and take challengers or whatnot.

Talk to your dad some more about the stick! It probably has quite the story behind it, and knowing the history of it will make the already awesome gift mean that much more.

7. j-glock22

j-glock22

I'm marginal at best, but then again I don't play alot either. I enjoy playing when I do though.

8. Hawker Man

Hawker Man

My dad got a pool table when I was about 12, and proceeded to mop the floor with me. By the time I was 13 the tables had turned, you see he had to work and I spent many nights at that table working on my game. He would have some friends over to play and I would not be allowed in the basement. 8 ball is fun but you should learn to play straight pool. When you think you are good, call all your shots, then call the next 2 shots, then the next 3 shots. It's all about making the shot and knowing where your next shot or two or three shots will be.
    Great game
    Tom

9. NateHodge

NateHodge Here too much

+1 The biggest part of being a good pool player is putting the cue ball where it needs to be AFTER contact with the target ball to line up your next shot. I'd be willing to bet your dad would take pleasure in teaching you some of the basics to get you started.

I'm just a touch above mediocre. I win most every game I play in the bars, but lose 2 out of 3 in the pool halls.

10. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

I used to be great. In fact, part of tom cruise's character was based on me. (the dancing while playing part...)

11. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I used to be very, very good. Played from the time I was 10, till I was about 22.. as work became more demanding, and the pool hall I frequented closed, I got out of it. I won a few local "Jr." pool tournaments, won a couple of other local tournaments.. but its been about 7-8yrs since I played regularly. I've shot here and there for fun, but I've yet to get back into it competitively.

IGF

12. up1911fan

up1911fan

I play with a good group of guy's. Our American Legion team has won the league the last 4 years.

13. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Nope, I suck. It's an interesting enough game, but most of the pool tables around here are in bars, and I have zero interest in hanging out in a bar. None of my friends have a pool table, and I don't have enough interest purchase and install one myself.

Congrats on the heirloom. I hope it serves you well.

14. kestrou

kestrou Pin Member #4

We had a pool table when I was a teenager, so I could play whenever I wanted to - but my 90+ year old Great Grandmother (Mamaw Mandy) lived with us and she played *all* the time (since she wasn't going to work or school during the day and was bored being home by herself).

She liked playing 8-ball so she only had to discern "solids vs. stripes" (and not the exact numbers on the balls) - and SHE WOULD KICK MY BUTT since she practiced so much.

Getting beat by a *really* old lady all the time kinda took the edge of me wanting to play. :)

Gee I sure miss Mamaw Mandy... :crying:

kestrou

15. Just1More

Just1More

Pool is my passion. I've been referred to as a "champion" many times, although I don't see myself that way. Lol. I can, and have many times, beat pro players on any given day. High run in straight pool is 77, if that means anything (just average). Dogged a 9-ball to lose a tournament last week. I suck. Still took home $100. :).

16. Jay9928

Jay9928 I laugh at liberals.

<---- Sucks at pool :cool:

17. W420Hunter

W420Hunter

I can hold my own in pool an its really the only reason I go to the bar. No pool table means your just about never going to see me there lol. There was a time when I had issues like a lot of you talk about, but I just keep playing. The key to a better game is not being scared to play a game you know your going to lose. I know it sounds crazy but its the best way to get better at the game.

18. okie

okie GT Mayor

<----------------Worlds worst player:shocked::faint:

19. Nicky D

Nicky D CLM

I haven't played in years but I did ok. I usually lost but I had a good time. My one friend is pretty good and play tournaments. I always did better when I didn't try to win.

20. odesskiy

odesskiy Crazy Russkiy

77 is more than respectable for an amateur player. Yes', it's not Schmitty's 400 or Thorsten's 408 but it still shows solid understanding and knowledge of the game. I broke 50 a few times, but 14.1 has never been my game.

I also have a lot of respect for 3-cushion players. I think those guys live on a different planet. Take a look at some stuff below that would be totally impossible on a pool table :)

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/109586/trick_shots_by_semih_sayginer_turkish_billiard_sensation/