Glock 23 Any Gen 5 rumblings?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Deputydave, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

Although I haven't kept close tabs on it, seems like the Brazilian contract for Gen5 G22's is going well. Anyone heard anything about the possibility of Gen5 .40's on the U.S. market? I know I'd be VERY interested in a G23.5. I very much liked my G23.3 but didn't like the finger grooves, they just don't fit my hand right on the compact sized Glocks. A Gen5 without finger grooves would really trip my trigger.

Rusty Guns, Jayman28 and PeterG like this.
  2. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

KY where the taxes are as high as half the people
    I have serious doubts that there is enough interest in anything 40 for something new to come out. Not saying it won't or that there isn't some interest but they cant sell the 40s they have around here. That is what I am basing my opinion on.

jr24 and Deputydave like this.

3. DLL9mm

DLL9mm

I hope they make some 40’s in gen 5. I have no problems with my Gen 4s though.

Deputydave likes this.
  4. H&K .45 AUTO

H&K .45 AUTO Gunslinger

I realize that the .40 is simply not as popular as it once was, and that Glock is in the business of selling as many guns as possible. Still, there are those of us who prefer more power than a 9mm can offer, and I personally won't buy a Gen 5 pistol in 9mm. I am issued one, but I absolutely hate it, and a big part of that hate comes from the barely adequate round for which it is chambered.

I already own a Gen 4 G22, and a Gen 3 G27. I don't currently own a G23 because I won't buy a .40 Glock older than a Gen 3, and the finger grooves on the mid sized frame simply don't work for me. Oddly enough, I really love the finger grooves on the full sized guns, but not on the mid sized.

If Glock wanted my money, they would make a run of Gen 5 G23's, with no finger grooves, no cutout, and with front cocking serrations. That would cause me to buy one.

Deputydave and Mike-M like this.
  5. ChrisD46

ChrisD46

It would be interesting to see what (if any) additional calibers are developed in Gen 5 series ... What ever Glock decides will speak volumes .

6. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

Two weeks ago the subject came up, nothing profound other than this 22 is heavier and larger than the other generations. The ambi slide and a safety graces this platform so far.

Myself an advocate since the 90’s adopting a frame and upper to accommodate the .40 vs dropping it in a 9mm platform as in the past.

Some angst from those wishing
    smaller frames, but after 2 years competing with the 22’s early on I cannot agree.

On paper most calibers perform well but everything man made has its pitfalls. Glocks digression on the Gen 5’s in certain areas has still left many hollow in satisfaction, although most seem happy campers.

There will be winners and losers as is the way the world turns, regardless of opinions.

7. Preyhunter

Preyhunter Huckleberry

Not really. It'll be .40/.357/.45GAP.

8. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

That's how I feel. The finger grooves on the full size don't bother me. On the sub-compacts I would prefer they don't, but it's doable. But the compact size just never felt right. If a Gen5 23 what offered, like I said above, I'd be sore tempted to get one. And yes, no cut out would also be great. The cut out would probably be a deal breaker for me.

jr24 likes this.
  9. QNman

QNman Old timer

When I was at the factory in Smyrna last April, I was told the .40 is coming. I was told no sooner than SHOT 2020, and maybe after, but almost assuredly in 2020. Now I wasn't exactly talking to Gaston, so take that for what it's worth, but I suspect they are actually coming.

Deputydave likes this.
  10. triaxle

triaxle

I love the 9 and the price of some of the ammo that comes along , I carry Fed HST 124 gr I would think it can do the job . I still think that 275 pd gang banger type would give up the fight with a good hit from a 40 cal Gold DOT or Fed HST round 180 or 165.

11. ChrisD46

ChrisD46

Rocky 7 : Has the G22/23 Gen 4 had any more robust upgrades versus the Gen 22/23 in Gen 2 or 3 ?

12. zennashton

zennashton

9mm is the new rage or old rage that killed all other caliber debates. Either conform or linger like the other dead calibers. Yea I know you can still find the other ammo but price you will pay or stockpile you will not have. Keep up or fall behind. It's fine you you have a need for other ammo. Hunting or what ever but 9mm is the standard for self defense and sells 75% of the market now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

13. Rocky7

I have not seen or heard any comment other than the Brazilian 22’s release of specifications. I myself am curious, apparently some leaks have kept us waiting for more information. I wonder if the Brazilians have received other platforms than the 22 myself?

AdamRodgers likes this.
  14. gatorboy

gatorboy ( . Y . )

Check out an APX 40. I really like mine, no complaints.

15. Rocky7

I can appreciate diversity. Personally I gave up window shopping in the 90’s. The plastic guns have remained Glock and since Im just a shooter other than 1 Ruger Alaskan the other 7 are Glocks.

Curiosity in fixing a long standing issue, and not necessarily an admission of purchase.

AdamRodgers likes this.
  16. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

A G-43x in .40 maybe , yee ha!

17. DrewBone

DrewBone

I won't be purchasing anything Gen5 unless it's a Gen5 G39C.

18. Rusty Guns

Rusty Guns

I agree with you about the finger rooves on the G-23/19.
    I have carried a gen2 G-23, since it came out.
    I have been waiting for a new G-23, without finger grooves for years. As far as that goes, I've been waiting for a new G-19 too. But the G-45 feels good in my hands. The G-17, and G-22 are fine.

Deputydave likes this.
  19. fastbolt

fastbolt

I'd imagine that Glock has been too busy trying to meet demand for the 9mm models, as well as the Brazilian contract for the stated 40,000 of the new Gen5/.40's. It's probably just a matter of time for them to release the spin-off of the MHS .40, meaning as soon as production capability and demand permits.

20. jim goose

jim goose "The Goose"

I will buy a gen 5 22, and I don’t care if they are giving away gen 4’s and 3’s.

I just hope it is Glock approved for my .357 barrel.