Glock Talk banner

Any formor or current SF soldiers?

4013 Views 79 Replies 39 Participants Last post by  Bullwinkle J Moose
Have this guy who claime he was SF Officer in Vietnam.

Stories do not add up, know there is SF Association, he is not member.

Would assume Army keeps records of those who made it throught training, and graduated.

Looking for Database 1960 - 1964, point me too if it is public domain.
Reactions: Inyo Tim and Rotn1
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Check with the guys at SOFREP if you really want to pursue it. They have all the connections to get records and find guys that know everyone across all the Service SOF. They’ve outed pretenders false claims on a regular basis.

· Registered
1,971 Posts
Theoretically possible if he just loved jumping. I've never heard of a unit jumping that much. My grandfather did cause he's crazy about flying. Wasn't airborne was a mp jumped once a week 50 times in a year cause he wanted to and they let him. 90 years old no discs left in his back. It was nearly a funeral when he sold his last plane (piper cub) at 84. Man just loves to fly.

I've never in my life met anyone else who jumped more than 20x in a year in the military. Maybe someone on here was a jump instructor and maybe they jumped more? Dunno never really knew any of them.
My friend,Bobby Ratliff,was a paratrooper. Don't know his rank or outfit. He loved jumping out of airplanes; and,would have 5 chutes lined up on the ground,jump in the plane,take off,gain altitude, jump,hit the ground and put on another chute. Plane would land,pick him up and repeat x5.

I remember watching him floating down and he was singing or hollering. He loved it.
Seemed to me like he was always tempting fate. Tough dude and a good friend,may he rest in peace.

Not sure how many jumps he did total; but,five in one day seemed like a lot to me.

· Registered
15,390 Posts
this guy who claims to be SF Officer said he also had 130+ jumps in 4 years service.

Seem like a huge amount of parachute jump in for years of military, and two of those in RVN.
I did about 40 jumps in 4 years, that would be about average in the 82d.

· Registered
2,387 Posts
My friend,Bobby Ratliff,was a paratrooper. Don't know his rank or outfit. He loved jumping out of airplanes; and,would have 5 chutes lined up on the ground,jump in the plane,take off,gain altitude, jump,hit the ground and put on another chute. Plane would land,pick him up and repeat x5.

I remember watching him floating down and he was singing or hollering. He loved it.
Seemed to me like he was always tempting fate. Tough dude and a good friend,may he rest in peace.

Not sure how many jumps he did total; but,five in one day seemed like a lot to me.
but those aren't round chutes they are foils much, much softer landing.
I did about 40 jumps in 4 years, that would be about average in the 82d.
Once a month gets you jump pay so many units aim for that.

And it's hard on you.

· Registered
609 Posts
I had an acquaintance that claimed to be a F4 pilot in Nam. Yet he was quite short and I doubt he could have qualified as a pilot. Plus he didn't know squat about the Phantom. I'm strictly civilian but I knew much more about the airplane than he did... such as the fact that the airplane had 2 engines (!) & that it was a 2 man airplane. He also claimed to be a Florida Highway Patrolman, retired, but I had my doubts about that as well. He passed away a few years ago due to eating himself to death! To bad it's not easier to check on people who make these types of claims. Even tho I never served in the military (I tried but no one would let me fly due my wearing glasses... except the army would let me fly helos, which I had zero interest in doing!) but I have a great respect for those who served and hate when there are cases of stolen valor!
Cheers,
crkckr

· AK-74
5,319 Posts
THERE ARE MORE THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE OUT THERE AND EVEN GETTING V.A. MEDS.And free meals gym membership and jobs and raises. in some cases women who like Vets.{talk about crazy town}i think it really is a mental disease with these types. Hey if you did nothing in life great live with it. Let the rest of us alone that did something.no matter how large or small.{ Stolen Valor or just plain lyin vermin, They all should have to wear a crap stained pair of skivvies on their head in public when caught.

with a sign on neck "Ask me how great i am with being a Liar"
Welcome to the new age and the internet. Everybody is a badass. read about Dakota he made it back and made a difference.
Publication Poster Font Advertising Magazine

· Registered
149 Posts
In the Legion, we jump more than most, and I got to 78 jumps in 6 years (and don’t remember a single one I liked). I was, for 4.5 of my 6 years, a “tireur de précision” which is kind of a hybrid between grunt, designated marksman, and sniper. I have the chronic bladder infection, bad back and knees to prove it. Thing is,they don’t tell you (and some of you guys know what I’m talking about) about the bad bladder, the fudged up kidneys, the second degree burns on your dick from laying on hot rooftops in Africa, all the good stuff. I could tell a lot more stories about having to embrace the suck than I have funny ones, I can tell you that much.

· Registered
973 Posts
He could have had that many jumps but NOT two combat jumps in Vietnam. That's BS. If he was on one of the VERY few CBT jumps in Vietnam, he'd be very well known.

I got a TON of jumps in just by burning chutes on fun jumps or if we had nothing else to do and still had air. Got 7 jumps in on one day down in P-Cola as a young guy. Had a truck full of chutes, a Huey, and not a lot of folks to burn them. The actual night, combat equipment jumps were much fewer and further between. Those were the one's that tore you up.

So far as the guy going into Group by skipping Robin Sage...., that's bull****. Successful completion is a requirement. One of my buddies got rolled in his patrol base the very last night of Robin Sage. He didn't have time to Z-out the radios. He was recycled through the whole last phase.

· Banned
360 Posts
In the Legion, we jump more than most, and I got to 78 jumps in 6 years (and don’t remember a single one I liked). I was, for 4.5 of my 6 years, a “tireur de précision” which is kind of a hybrid between grunt, designated marksman, and sniper. I have the chronic bladder infection, bad back and knees to prove it. Thing is, they don’t tell you (and some of you guys know what I’m talking about) about the bad bladder, the fudged up kidneys, the second degree burns on your dick from laying on hot rooftops in Africa, all the good stuff. I could tell a lot more stories about having to embrace the suck than I have funny ones, I can tell you that much.
People that remember the "good old days" must have been in a coma for most of them. IMHO.

· Registered
5,437 Posts
Theoretically possible if he just loved jumping. I've never heard of a unit jumping that much. My grandfather did cause he's crazy about flying. Wasn't airborne was a mp jumped once a week 50 times in a year cause he wanted to and they let him. 90 years old no discs left in his back. It was nearly a funeral when he sold his last plane (piper cub) at 84. Man just loves to fly.

I've never in my life met anyone else who jumped more than 20x in a year in the military. Maybe someone on here was a jump instructor and maybe they jumped more? Dunno never really knew any of them.
A guy I used to work with was a recreational jumper. He had something like 75-80 jumps total and his back is a mess. Man he had some stories… like landing on electrical lines. On top of buildings had a few times his chute got tangled up and he had to cut himself free to get to his backup chute. He had broken legs, arms, shattered his pelvis, overal beat up pretty good but he sure loved the sport.

· Banned
360 Posts
A guy I used to work with was a recreational jumper. He had something like 75-80 jumps total and his back is a mess. Man he had some stories… like landing on electrical lines. On top of buildings had a few times his chute got tangled up and he had to cut himself free to get to his backup chute. He had broken legs, arms, shattered his pelvis, overal beat up pretty good but he sure loved the sport.
I knew a guy who thought getting beat up in bar fights was fun too. I would put him in the same category as your friend. Not to bright! IMHO LOL : )

· Registered
2,387 Posts
I met a ranger like that. Jumped out of a boat at 70mph. He no longer has a spleen. He'll argue with anyone over anything. Sigh

· Banned
360 Posts
Not really a friend per se more a work association. He was definitely smart. Crazy smart. I think Uncle Sam likes them like that for unusual assignments.
When I was in Marine OCS they told us the avg Marine was 18-19 yrs old with a 9th grade education. Yup, they like em not to bright so they do what they are told with out question.IMHO

61 - 80 of 80 Posts