Glock Talk banner

Any formor or current SF soldiers?

4013 Views 79 Replies 39 Participants Last post by  Bullwinkle J Moose
Have this guy who claime he was SF Officer in Vietnam.

Stories do not add up, know there is SF Association, he is not member.

Would assume Army keeps records of those who made it throught training, and graduated.

Looking for Database 1960 - 1964, point me too if it is public domain.
Reactions: Inyo Tim and Rotn1
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

· Registered
2,896 Posts
I used to work with a guy that was in the Marines during the Vietnam era . He was an electronics guy and never stepped foot in country . He compensated by making up stories about his accomplishments . The problem was that his stories didn't line up . He was only in for 4 years or so but he had a lifetime of stories that took place all over the world . It was shameful that he felt the need to lie about his service .

· Registered
598 Posts
just ask to see the 214, school/training, will shut most up quick.
hate stolen valor, most real hero's don't come home. IMO
RIP: MR. West 10/23/83, Marine Bombing- BS setting ducks,
and they want to give Iran a nuke. Sorry carry on
Sarge

· Registered
168 Posts
My experience in the military has taught me many things. One of them being that 90+% of those who talk about it are full of ****. The "outside the wire mentality" necessitates that. It's the fobbitts that have seen some ****.. done some things man!

· AK-74
5,319 Posts
My experience in the military has taught me many things. One of them being that 90+% of those who talk about it are full of *. The "outside the wire mentality" necessitates that. It's the fobbitts that have seen some *.. done some things man!
I have to remember that now on every book, on combat from Audie Murphy, Doolittle,Guderian,Patton, Rommel,Bidermann,Alvin York,Sadler,Chesty Puller, and his son's book Fortunate Son and a 1,000 others.

Outside the Wire 2021, yeah it was different.

· Registered
15,390 Posts
Did they have challenge coins in the ‘60’s???
Do not think so.
"The Roman Empire rewarded soldiers by presenting them with coins to recognize their achievements.[5] In Rome, if soldiers excelled in battle one day, they would receive their typical day's wages along with a separate bonus coin each. According to some accounts, these bonus coins were specially minted, featuring the marks of the legions from which they came. As a result, some soldiers apparently kept their coins as mementos, instead of spending them."

I probably have a couple of challenge coins in storage. It was never something I cared about.

· Registered
35,064 Posts
There is a stolen valor website, that will do an exhaustive search. I’d also ask to see a SF Challenge coin.
Challenge coins weren’t a thing back in the eighties when I was in, 11B, so I doubt 60’s-70’s vets will have one unless obtained in the 90’s or double naughts and beyond.

Check out professionalsoldier.com, the guy that goes by Team Sargent, chases down such things. He’s the Don Shipley of the snake eaters.

· Registered
10 Posts
How many records from that era were destroyed in the fire?
HAHAHAHAHAAA And of course all his records are classified, so no one can see them anyway! :)
OP could try contacting Don Shipley, he has a direct connect into the records center and if he's not too busy,m and you ask real nice, he could probably confirm or deny in a day or two...

· Registered
500 Posts
Have this guy who claime he was SF Officer in Vietnam.

Stories do not add up, know there is SF Association, he is not member.

Would assume Army keeps records of those who made it throught training, and graduated.

Looking for Database 1960 - 1964, point me too if it is public domain.
If he claims SF, perhaps not because it wasn’t “sf” at the time. It had a different name and if he is not familiar with it, you have your answer… I do recall a number of groups who can search a database (former/active) oathkeepers, keepers of tradition type pages that will look people up.

· Registered
11,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
The guy is in early 80&s talks a lot of Bull, personally only know few who served in Special ops community.

Most are very very quiet, no long, let’s say what they did was job, nothing more.

Remember meeting this onSF Guy years ago in Sacramento.

He was retired E-8, quit, so poke softly, if he has been in civilian clothing. You might say dishwasher.

Roy Benvenedez, MOH Receiptent. Very intresting story.

· Banned
360 Posts
Contact Don Shipley its been said here before.{HE NOT ONLY DOES THE SEALS.} THIS IS "FRENCHY' DID 3 TOURS FIVE PURPLE HEARTS.
was a good friend of mine.was in Marines. Was also one of the first.in special operations group,I remember him telling me on his third tour getting hit with a frag, and a AK round which got him his fifth purple, He was done and not going back for a 4th. time.

the worse part about the Stolen valor guys they make money on it.And Bobby anytime he caught one in n.y. area. he would pin him down.Marines were pulling out in 1971/72 so if somebody tells you Marines 1975 they must have been in Saigon EMBASSY DUTY, Not many left there in 1975. View attachment 1121897
View attachment 1121901
View attachment 1121899 View attachment 1121900
My personal pics from Pendleton and Nixon with the presidential unit citation.
I was a Marine Liason Officer and i was there in 1972-73 as were many others. it depended on what your assignment was.

· Banned
360 Posts
The guy is in early 80&s talks a lot of Bull, personally only know few who served in Special ops community.

Most are very very quiet, no long, let’s say what they did was job, nothing more.

Remember meeting this onSF Guy years ago in Sacramento.

He was retired E-8, quit, so poke softly, if he has been in civilian clothing. You might say dishwasher.

Roy Benvenedez, MOH Receiptent. Very intresting story.
In the early days from 1960 on, there was no selection for SF, because it did not exist. There were Recon teams and LRRP teams and they were made up of volunteers and others with experience usually. Most were grandfathered in when the SF was formally started with the Kennedy push. IMHO

· Registered
11,893 Posts
My general experience is that those who talk the least did the most.

Over the years, I've met braggarts who were nothing and soft spoken who were bona fide heroes. Particularly with older ones, Vietnam era and earlier.

Reactions: Snake Pleskin
41 - 60 of 80 Posts