Any favorite hamburger recipes...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by XDRoX, Apr 12, 2012.

1. XDRoX

XDRoX

I need to make hamburgers this weekend for a party. I don't want to buy the run of the mill frozen ones from the store and don't mind buying fresh meat and having it ground or buying ground meat and making it my own with a recipe.

So any favorites out there?
    Thanks

2. XDRoX

XDRoX

Oh ya, cost isn't really an issue, but let's not get carried away either.
    There will be 75 people at my party.

3. MrKandiyohi

MrKandiyohi Millennium Member

I guess I'd go with the basic ground beef and use the fixings to make them unique. Get every type of veggie, cheese, sauce that someone might want on a burger. Let them build their own. Give them choices of bun instead of the normal, stale bun.

Can someone have a chicken breast instead of a burger?

How many burgers are you going to get for 75 people? You'll end up with extras, so you'll end up freezing them anyway.

4. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

just get good ground meat. Nothing too lean either. 80-20 is good mix.

Salt, pepper on the meat before hand. Let them sit on the counter for 30 min or so. Cold meat doesn't cook as well.

Cook till your desired doneness but don't smash them.

5. bmoore

bmoore

Good ground beef. 1 packet of dry onion soup mix. Worsterser sauce, salt/pepper, just a dab of your favorite BBQ sauce, montreal steak seasoning, garlic salt and any other seasoning you may like.

6. huskerbuttons

huskerbuttons

2 pounds of 80/20 ground beef, 1 10oz bottle of A1 Steak Sauce, 1 packet of Lipton Onion Soup mix, 1/2 cup of bread crumbs. Mix it all together and press them into patties. Grill them to perfection. Yummy.

7. Mendoman

Mendoman

Just good quality ground beef and salt and pepper. The other night the wife wanted to add tons of extra stuff ( onion soup mix and A1 to the burgers before grilling them. I didn't care for them. LESS is more when doing burgers. As another poster said make the fixing to suit the crowd. Maybe some different types of cheese and buns.

8. woodasptim

woodasptim

If you can find it locally and for a decent price, Bison makes some really great burgers.

9. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

You might try making sausage burgers by mixing ground beef and pork, along with herbs, chopped onions and garlic. They have great flavor and be a fun departure from ordinary all beef burgers.

This morning we had I call Elk Sausage McMuffins. We make different sausage recipes by grinding venison and pork shoulder along with herbs, etc. They're delicious as burgers. We'll cook and freeze some as patties, then nuke them for breakfast with a toasted muffin or bagel.

10. All Pro Sports Hero

All Pro Sports Hero

Best hamburger I ever had was at some frillly function. I asked the chef/cook/'whatever he was' how he made such yummy burgers. Told me to make the burgers with ground ribeye.

At first, it may sound like ruining a perfectly good ribeye to make hamburgers. But it's hella good, so screw it. :eat:

Mix at least one part 80/20 ground chuck with one part ground ribeye. (But, more ribeye and less chuck is even tastier.) Do not trim away the fat. You can use a food processor to grind the steak.

If cost is a concern, buy the ribeye at the market that has been marked down to sell before expiration. You're going to grind it up anyway.

:grill:

11. devildog2067

devildog2067

Good beef. Nothing else.

Dry packaged soup mix? Seriously? That's just nasty.

12. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Most posters have it dead on IMO, the best start to any hamburger is the right burger mixture to start with. A good lean mix of at least 80/20 is the best way to go for my taste. Anything with less than 20% fat is a bit light on that flavor and anything with more is.....well, just too much for my taste.

Everyone has their own durthers on sauces/flavorings and what not, but that's to be expected. Whichever way one likes it.....a nice thin slice of onion, lettuce, tomato, and oh my yes......the cheese and you have a true American original delight. A toasted bun and perhaps a tiny dill pickle and it just doesn't get any better.

It seems every man is a total expert when it comes to grilling out on the week end. And you know that's right!

13. Alchemy

Alchemy Senior Member

I just slape it on/ leen that is. Do what you wish that pleases
    your palate. :wavey:

14. TalkToTheGlock

TalkToTheGlock Zombie Hunter

80/20 is the best meat for flavor in my opinion. I dint like anything exotic. Just burger, cheese, and bun.

iPhone 4

15. SmokeRoss

SmokeRoss GTDS Member #49

First you kill and butcher a MOOSE.......

Actually some of the best burger meat I have had recently was from a bear my son killed. It was mixed with pork when the butcher shop ground it. I'm looking to get me one this spring.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  16. trajan07

trajan07 dimly lit

I made some chorizo burgers a while back that came out really good. It's just a 1 to 1 mix of chorizo and ground beef. I think all I added was a little salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

17. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

There are 3 secrets to a PREFECT burger.

1. 80/20 that's coarsely ground. The fat keeps it juicy. Less fat and you have a dry, tasteless patty.

2. Don't over handle the meat. Get the stuff that looks like ropes, not the pink slime. Or have it ground. Over handling the meat, mixing, and forming the patty's tightly entangles the protein chains and leads to a rubbery patty. Flake the meat into a big bowl, sprinkle the ingridiments over the top and toss gently to mix. Form the pattys just enough that they hold together.

3. The ingridiments. Salt, Pepper, 1 clove garlic (Pressed, not minced), 1 pinch sugar, and THIS IS KEY 1 T Nuoc Mam per lb of beef. Seriously. Once I discovered this any other burger tastes 'flat'.

For the best burger in the world serve it on Pan De Sal with Jufran.

Dry soup mix? :upeyes:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  18. trashcat

trashcat

Last weekend I made the best burgers I've ever had. I ground up a couple of locally raised lamb shoulder chops mixed in salt, pepper, and a mix of diced onion and garlic sweated until it almost starting to caramelize. Cooked them medium rare and topped with soft goat cheese mixed with chopped fresh mint with a balsamic vinegar and barley malt reduction on the chibata bun.

For 75 people I would just go to the local restaurant supply store and get the best frozen burgers they have I know sysco has a couple different grades of most products. Or you could look for a butcher that makes preseasoned burgers with their own recipie.

19. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

I saw something on TV where the host added Hidden Valley Ranch mix to the burger. I might have to try that. I'm an old-school add-the-lipton-onion-soup kinda guy, too.

Mmmmmmm, burgers.

Although all that stuff you people call burger is dog-crap. I only eat the fresh-killed kobe beef ground while the cow is still mooing and cooked while the milk is still pouring out of it. The rest of the stuff you all call "beef" is junk. Period. :rofl:

(No, not really. But someone's gonna come on here and tell everyone how what they eat is dog-poo.)

20. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

Ixnay on the onions. Bleccch. I like A1 and some garlic powder, but the key is the toppings. With that many people you are pushing it with food preferences.