GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assume it’s the same as some FN model since Winchester got gobbled up by the Belgian Borg. Do 1300 based self defense shotguns over time hold up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,497 Posts
I’ve got a Winchester 1300 Defender.

I only have a few hundred rounds through it, but have no complaints. It’s just a truck gun. Rarely gets cleaned and is tossed in the boat, truck, or on the 4 wheeler rack whenever I’m outdoors.

It’s always been reliable, but I wouldn’t put it on the same level as my 870P.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
I had a Winchester 1300 Defender many years ago. It had a very slick action and I liked it a lot, but there was very little aftermarket support for it so I traded it for an 870. Looking back now, I should have held onto it.

·
I'd be more cynical, but my apathy prevents it.
839 Posts
I wonder if the new 1300s use the same polymer feed throats of the old 1300s.
Cracked feed throats used to be a thing. IIRC, exposure to chlorinated cleaners (like Gun Scrubber and a lot brake cleaners) was thought to be a major contributor to the cracking.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
The Winchester 1300 will serve most needs but it is not the most durable pump shotgun. That probably won't matter for most owners who shoot infrequently, but since these guns are out of production parts will be less available. If you plan to put a lot of shells through it I would instead get a Remington or Mossberg.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
A friend of mine and myself went shopping for a home defense shotgun a few weeks ago. My friend didn't have much money to spend so that did limit us some but we did find this one;
https://eaacorp.com/product/akkar-churchill-612-pump/
all the particulars are listed on the web site.

It's affordable, seem to be built well, so we picked one up. Going to the range later this week to toss some rounds down range and see how it shoots.

·
I'd be more cynical, but my apathy prevents it.
839 Posts
A friend of mine and myself went shopping for a home defense shotgun a few weeks ago. My friend didn't have much money to spend so that did limit us some but we did find this one;
https://eaacorp.com/product/akkar-churchill-612-pump/
all the particulars are listed on the web site.

It's affordable, seem to be built well, so we picked one up. Going to the range later this week to toss some rounds down range and see how it shoots.
How was it?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
How was it?
It handled anything we put through it. Because of the polymer furniture it was lighter than my Winchester 1300 (wood furniture), easy to maneuver. This shot gun will be a great home defense gun. The only additional item we put on this gun was an additional butt stock pad which did help with the recoil for some of the more stout loads.
He paid $265 dollars (including tax), so for that kind of money this is a really good choice for those looking for a solid home defense shotgun without breaking the bank to do it.

·
Venor ergo sum
Gun control is about CONTROL.
3,601 Posts
I think the older ones were fine. I have been completely underwhelmed with anything Winchester built in the last 20+ years. The old S&W 870 knock offs were pretty good guns too.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I think the older ones were fine. I have been completely underwhelmed with anything Winchester built in the last 20+ years. The old S&W 870 knock offs were pretty good guns too.
I have a Winchester Ranger model that to the best of my research was manufactured in the late 80's, perhaps in the early 90's. I bought it from a guy who almost never shot the gun. Very well built shotgun, will far out-last me.

·
NRA Life Member
64,281 Posts
They have always ranked behind Remington and Mossberg among police shotgun choices, but I'd certainly choose a Winchester over the imported nonsense on the market these days.

Reactions: Kentguy

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
They have always ranked behind Remington and Mossberg among police shotgun choices, but I'd certainly choose a Winchester over the imported nonsense on the market these days.
True, police are equipped with more Remington and Mossberg shotguns - because they make a great shotgun and they meet their standards & specs better than Winchester.

I think the Winchester Defender model these days is a fine shotgun for home or property defense and a very reasonable price. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020365177
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020367082

The imports have scratched an itch with the American market in the fact that they offer a shotgun at a lower price. I'm not saying that they are better, just more affordable for the average joe. This is why they have been pretty successful in the past 5 years or so.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Only issue is that I think they only have one trigger group pin and are hinged on the front. Makes it not good for side saddles that uses two trigger pins. Had to use a glue on, bad idea, on my FN P9 which is like the 1300.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts