close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any experience with the Biometric Gunvault?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by emt1581, Apr 9, 2010.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I've been doing some homework on which pistol safe to get for mounting to my bed frame and this one looks the most impressive. Can be programmed with both my/wife's prints, only takes a second or two to pop open, plus it can be plugged in or run on batteries. There's also a key for backup.

Now can a thief steal it with a reciprocating saw? Sure, probably in less than a minute or two. But the point of this would be to keep my kids and anyone else not supposed to be touching the gun from accessing it.

Plus I want something that, while groggy in the middle of the night, I can just touch and have access to my gun...if I don't store the gun in the Gunvault by day and set it on the night stand at night.

Does anyone have experience with the Biometric versions of the Gunvault? What are your thoughts on it? Worth the money?

Thanks!:)

-Emt1581

2. dadeglocks

dadeglocks

3. Flipz

Flipz

I have one of the regular GunVaults (non-bio version) bolted to the floor in my closet. Its the one with a shelf so it has a top and bottom storage area. The key pad is very quick to use and I can open the safe in about 2 seconds. Overall, I like it.

I think the biometric versions are a little to expensive. The regular version I have is just what I need. I can store up to 4 handguns easily if I want to. Right now I have 2 handguns on the bottom and personal papers and a couple loaded mags on top.

I think they are of decent construction and design. But if I were going to spend my money on the biometric version I would probably just get a different safe.

For the purpose you are looking at it for I think it would work just fine. But ask around a little more for others opinions. Hopefully more members will respond with their observations.

4. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Are there actually more expensive single/double safes out there other than the Gunvault? I thought they were at the top of the price bracket... :dunno:

Thanks!

-Emt1581

5. tx787

tx787

I think the biometric is a little "buggy" and I wouldn't want to risk it not opening the one time you really need it to.

6. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

I also have one of the regular GunVaults and it takes just over a second to open. It seems to me I heard of some issues with the early biometric ones but I can't remember any details.

7. FAS1

FAS1

I don't know much about the biometrics other than my experience is the pushbutton locks are just as fast or faster and personally I like simplicity for something like this. From what I understand most scanners used on gun boxes have a failure rate of 1 in 5000 scans. The Inprint line at the link below supposedly has a 1 in 100,000 scan failure rate. Apparently not all scanners are equal. If you are confident in a scanner type box you might try to look into the scanner quality that they are using. Also, all these boxes will keep your kids out since they won't try to destroy it, but look at the weight an gauge of metal used in the box itself and none will hold up very well if someone really wanted in it.

http://9gproducts.com/prod.html

8. kappax12

kappax12

i have the bio verison, it read your finger print fast n open, sometime it misses, sometime it takes 2 times. And if you just got out the shower r been washing your hand long, it will take longer to read your finger, took me about 4-6 time for it to open. can only fit 2 gun (glocks) max adjusted direction.

9. Mr. Zero

Mr. Zero

I agree. And was the reason I ended up going with a model that had a 5-button simplex lock. No batteries to fail ... multiple button combos.

V-line makes some versions that can be mounted as well.

10. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Seems like biometrics might take a swipe or two, but rubbing my finger over a hole/bar is significantly easier, when groggy, in a panic, in a hurry... compared to thinking through a code then implementing that code.

Just my thoughts thus far though....with something so important, I'll be doing a ton of research.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

11. FAS1

FAS1

You can always "pre-punch" the buttons before you go to sleep so all you need to do is turn the knob 1/4 turn clockwise and our box will open. I don't have kids in the house any longer so I open mine when I go to bed and simply close it in the morning. My gun is right there in the same place every night right next to my pillow. Hope you find the storage solution that works best for you EMT. Thanks for considering our solution.