Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Glock 43 that I often use as a carry gun, it’s 100% reliable. I am thinking of adding an Agency barrel and comp. It might be a bad idea because I want my carry gun to be reliable.
I know the merits of keeping it stock, but I have an Overwatch trigger in it and a Taran connector and its worked great for a couple years like that. No issues. I also added a Tango down slide release which I haven’t had any issues with either.

Is a comp going to screw up the cycling? I have no experience with them. My brother has a compensated Glock 19 and I loved that thing, it shot really flat and I was really taken back by it. I am not expecting the same thing in my 43 as his 19 but it peaked my interest.

Does anyone have experience with a compensated G43, preferably the Agency comp and one they put on and not done by a professional gunsmith or custom shop.

And yeah, I know the engineers at Glock know what they are doing (just to get that out of the way)

Anyone experience any failures to eject or feed... cycling?

Thanks,
G_B

·
Registered
144 Posts
I tried the Agency Arms 417 comp for the G43, but didn't like the increased size or the idea of cutting up my existing holsters. Switched to the DPMS recoil spring instead.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried the Agency Arms 417 comp for the G43, but didn't like the increased size or the idea of cutting up my existing holsters. Switched to the DPMS recoil spring instead.
I use a crossbreed and its open at the bottom so holsters are not a big concern of mine.
the increased size does give me pause but slide length is not really an issue as much as grip length. My issue with gun size is printing and the 43 does not print that much for me.

did you have any reliability issues with the comp? I might still decide to keep it stock. I would only consider changing the springs if i was having cycling issues, not to reduce recoil impulse. I actually added a heavier spring to my Ruger SR9 which makes the recoil worse but it improved reliability. for some reason, the OEM spring gave me stovepipes. I tried lighter and heavier springs and the heavier one solved my issue. that was 6 years ago too.

thanks for your input. If you didnt have to alter your holsters, would you have had a different opinion?

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Why would you want a match grade barrel and comp on a non target gun or speed gun?? The agency barrel glock at a shooting course I was at had one failure to feed because the feed ramp was machined wrong. Other than that they are top notch equipment.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why would you want a match grade barrel and comp on a non target gun or speed gun?? The agency barrel glock at a shooting course I was at had one failure to feed because the feed ramp was machined wrong. Other than that they are top notch equipment.
I shoot the gun poorly after a few mags. Some glocks i shoot well and other glocks i dont. Maybe i should get rid of the gun but i like how it rides. I have forgone shooting my other handguns that i enjoy over the past few years so that i can try to get better with this thing and i just cant seem to pull it off. I am not recoil sensitive, i love shooting snub nose revolvers with buffalo bore and self defense loads.
i am afraid that i may make the gun into a money pit if i keep adding stuff to it. i know i should "practice more" but i really cant get the hang of it. I dont know if its the shortened frame or what but i cant seem to squeeze the trigger on it consistently. I thought, maybe its the recoil on tiny gun. I dont know... I was looking at ways to tame it it bit. I have dry fired the 43x and the 48 and they both fit my hand a lot better. I dont know if glock changed some things on them but my first gen g43 is not an easy shooter.
Why add the barrel? well the factory one isnt threaded.

My brother has a compensated 19 and i love how that thing shoots. its so flat. I know the 43 isnt anything like the 19 and wouldn't expect the same results but it got me thinking.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
It’s a waste of money that you’ll never get back. I’d either look at selling to fund a 43X/48 or changing your philosophy of training. Either:

1) Shoot just a few mags each session; once fatigued..stop

2) Reduce recoil way more than a comp ever will for your practice sessions. Do this to make it an enjoyable gun to shoot, to get extra trigger time. This can be accomplished one way. Handloading. Work down in powder charge until the slide quits cycling. The better your grip fundamentals. The softer you can load. Still practice with Carry ammo some too, but use soft loads for extra trigger time.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I use a crossbreed and its open at the bottom so holsters are not a big concern of mine.
the increased size does give me pause but slide length is not really an issue as much as grip length. My issue with gun size is printing and the 43 does not print that much for me.

did you have any reliability issues with the comp? I might still decide to keep it stock. I would only consider changing the springs if i was having cycling issues, not to reduce recoil impulse. I actually added a heavier spring to my Ruger SR9 which makes the recoil worse but it improved reliability. for some reason, the OEM spring gave me stovepipes. I tried lighter and heavier springs and the heavier one solved my issue. that was 6 years ago too.

thanks for your input. If you didnt have to alter your holsters, would you have had a different opinion?
I didn't have any malfunctions with the Agency comp although I only put ~100 rounds through it of Federal HST 150 grain micro.

I like the G43 for concealed carry when I can't carry something bigger. For carry, I use a stock G43 except for some better night sights. I wanted to do a G43 roland special type build with a comp, rms, weapon light, trigger, etc - just as a range toy / fun project. What I discovered was that I liked the G43 for the Glock reliability and deep concealability, but with my size XL hands, I just don't enjoy shooting it as much as the larger models. Spending 2-3x the cost of the gun trying to make it into something it wasn't improved it some, but not by much. I think the biggest improvement for me was the TTI +3 base plates and talon grips that allowed me to actually get a good grip on it - something you can now accomplish with the G43x.

It comes down to what you want to do with it. If it's going to be your daily carry I would keep as stock as possible and if you do go with the comp just make sure to test it thoroughly with your carry ammo. I personally would not use a comp on a G43 for carrying, and although the size increase is minimal I would more likely just carry a G19 instead. But again I didn't actually have any malfunctions in the very limited testing I did with the comp on it. For concealed carry my top priority is reliability - it's a weapon I carry that will probably never be used, but if/when I do it needs to work. Having a comp on it is not going to change the outcome of SD scenario where stress and adrenaline will be so high you'll be lucky to even use the sights and register the muzzle flip happening.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
I shoot the gun poorly after a few mags.
Here's your answer right here ^^^
Stop putting lipstick on this pig because it will remain a pig.

Then go to a range that has a well-stocked rental fleet and start trying other subcompacts until you find one that works for you.

I hotrod the bejesus out of my range guns.
My carry is a bone-stock PPS-M2 and I can shoot long range sessions with it.
And yes, it's only the first couple of shots that matter, but it's nice to be able to train with your carry.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think you fellas are on to something that i should have been aware of. I started thinking of my carry gun as one of my range guns. I think i did this because I put most of my other handguns on the back burner in order to get accustom to the 43.

I dont have a 19 so maybe i should go get one of those MOS models and just add stuff to that to have another fun gun. maybe get another full size gun. I dont have a handgun with a red-dot type sight on it yet...

I did put talon rubber grip tape on mine a year ago and my groups got considerably better. The problem with the 43 is the short trigger reach. I cant shoot it nearly as accurately due to how my finger squeezes the trigger.

also, i live out in the country, we dont have well stocked ranges with lots of rentals. There is usually just a G19, GP100, Ruger MK III, a 1911, an economy AR, and a couple Taurus revolvers. Thats how it is it every range in my parts that even has rentals.

I havent been to the range in a couple weeks, i am going to go again and see how pissed the thing makes me before i decide on what to do. At 10 yards, my group is usually in the 9 ring with it. And that is slow and deliberate shooting.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i looked into it and I came to the conclusion that the risks of adding an aftermarket barrel and comp outweigh the benefits (mostly ascetic and slight recoil reduction). I don't want to mess around with springs trying to get it to cycle if it doesn't. I also like HST and i read that some aftermarket barrels don't feed it reliably. My gun, now, does and i dont want to mess with that.

I figured that i will just get another gun and play around adding stuff to that one. Or, get a G48 and then mess around with the 42 as it wont be my primary carry gun anymore.

I will pick up a new 43 "minus" connector for my gun though. My 43 is first production run.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts