close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any duck hunters use a motorized "spinning" wing decoy?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by rfb45colt, Sep 22, 2003.

1. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

Anybody ever use a "Mojo-Duck" or equivalent type decoy while duck hunting? Do they work as good as they're supposed to? Several states have banned them, so there must be a reason. I ordered one, with a remote controlled on-off switch.

I've been duck hunting for about 25 yrs, and I do fairly good with a couple dozen plain old plastic decoys. But there are days when there's very few ducks flying around, and the few flocks I do see, are fairly far off, and never spot my spread. I figured a little "action" can't hurt. I bought the remote control so I can turn it on, then off, then maybe on again.... more realistic than one that runs continuosly... not to mention the battery life.

I now routinely use a black flag on a 15' cane pole for canada geese (and it's amazing how good that has worked), and a couple hundred white cloth diapers and rags scattered about an open field does wonders for attracting snows... so I was wondering if anybody has had any luck with a motorized-wing duck decoy.

2. Blah!

Blah! Guest

sup rfb45colt, yes i do. i use the rotoduck brand and i put 2 in a my spread. very effective tool. its so effective i hear the state of louisiana is talking about banning them.
    ;g

3. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

That's good to hear. :) I've read that several states have already banned the type with a motor, but still allow the kind that just spin with the wind.

I ordered mine from Sportsmans Guide. Don't know the brand name. The remote control unit came today, but the decoy is on backorder, and expected shipping date is the 26th (which is Friday... the season starts Saturday, and I won't have it until Monday:().

The remote was $17.97, the decoy $53.97. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=99600

4. Blah!

Blah! Guest

thats a good deal. you wont be sorry you got it :)
    just wait till you see those ducks way off in the distance break there necks turning to come check out your spread :)good luck!

5. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

6. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

Duck season opened Saturday at noon. There was a pair of hunters set up about 500 yds away from my blind. We were the only hunters on this creek impoundment. My "spinner" decoy which I ordered has not yet arrived. But the other two guys had one. It was the first one I've ever actually seen in action. I was amazed at how lifelike it looked from my vantage point, 500 yds away. Totally awesome. I might as well have stayed home, or gone grouse hunting. Every flock of ducks that came within sight of their spread (with their roto-duck spinning away), piled right in. Several times, a flock gave my two dozen mallard, and six "super-magnum" goose decoys a "look-over" and in the process of circling, they spotted the roto-duck and switched course immediately. Game over for me. :( Those two guys went through at least a box of shells, and bagged several greenheads. I fired one shot all day, at a greenhead they had missed, which happened to fly in my direction low enough and close enough to hit (but I missed him too). I did enjoy the show, however. The guys with the roto-duck were good duck hunters.... they did some great calling, and let the birds circle in to land before opening fire. They did things the way they're supposed to be done (except their shooting needed some definate improvements... mine too). ;)

Yesterday (Sunday) was a differant story. The guys with the roto-duck weren't there. I had the marsh all to myself. Without the competition from the roto-duck, I did much better... including a double on honkers. Three geese flew into my dekes, but only one left (and he survived only because the daily bag limit is two :))

But the funniest part of the day came when I missed a shot at a low flying woodie. My dog was behind the blind, and was sniffing the dead geese she had just fetched, and she didn't realize I missed the shot, and she went out to fetch the next dead duck. I called her back in, but she wasn't about to waste a good swim, so she "retrieved" my nearest decoy on her way back in. She carried it over to the dead geese, and dropped it in the pile, proud as can be.

7. noway

noway

On my early-season duck shoot, they had one out at one of the hunters location. He stated " that the wood duck actually nearly landed on it".

So I guess it works but I got my fair share of ducks without using a roto duck.

8. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

I have & have had great luck with mine. ;)

9. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

Here's an "update" on the motorized decoys (I now have two). I had ordered one from The Sportsmans Guide before the season started, but they were back-ordered, so I didn't get it until about October 21st. I got impatient, and went and bought a "Lucky Duck" brand, complete with the float, and a remote control. These things really do work!!! And two is better than one.

As far as the two differant decoys are concerned, both have a very life-like decoy body, complete with the orange feet, and both have an identical pose. But, the Lucky Duck is much better made than the "Guide Gear" from Sportsman Guide (and it cost twice as much, so it should be). I'll "elaborate" a bit, for those who are thinking about buying one of these.

The Lucky Duck's battery can be very easily recharged, by simply plugging the recharger into a receptacle on the bottom of the decoy. No need to remove the battery. The battery is clamped in place, very firmly. The switch is a three position toggle... constant on - off - or remote position (the on/off remote control only works in this position). The back of the deke opens up using a small hinge that's pop-riveted in place. It's held down by an elastic cord. The motor is much larger than the other, and looks to be of better quality. All in all, I cannot find much wrong with it. The 4' mounting post is even designed so it can be slipped into 1/2" steel conduit.

The Guide Gear unit's battery just flops around inside. There's no provision to keep it in one place. It must be removed for recharging, and the charger uses aligator clips (pos & neg are well marked). The back opens up the same, but no hinge (you just bend the plastic where it isn't cut all the way... I wonder how long it'll last in the cold? I see a hinge in it's future), and it is held down by three velcro strips. One broke loose the first time I used it, but the other two are more than enough to hold it down. The motor is smaller, and looks "Chinese". It works good though, so far. The switch is a rubber covered push-button. Two positions... on & off. The remote operates in the off position. The Guide Gear unit is just as life-like (maybe even a little more so), and is just a bit larger. The wings are definately larger.

Both units have aluminum wings, that can be detached by loosening thumbnuts. Hooking up the optional remote controls for both units is very simple... you just use the factory installed double-sided tape to stick it to the inside (I used the battery for mounting) and plug it into the factory-prepped plug. Both unit's wings are painted the same... white on one side, and a drab brown, with white & blue speculum decals, on the other.

Conclusion... the Lucky Duck is a much better made unit. My cost for it was $93, $29 for the pontoon float (for use in deeper water), and another $50 for the remote (the 1st remote didn't work, I had to return it for another, which works fine).

The Guide Gear unit from Sportsmans Guide is good too, just not as good. You get what you pay for. It cost $53, and the remote was $18. (This remote was irratic at first, but now seems to work OK).

Edit: Yesterday (11-2), the Guide Gear's remote control quit working. It began acting "irratic" again in the early morning, then quit altogether. Yesterday was the 7th day I used it. I let it run in "constant on" mode, and the battery died in about 4 hours. I must admit though, it was cold out (upper 20's), and the battery was stored in an unheated garage for about 4 days after it's last recharging. I now think having a spare 6v battery (about $15) is a better investment than the remote control.

10. MyT-FastDog

MyT-FastDog

I had bad luck when I was hunting puddle ducks near a group with the spinners last year, so we picked one up in the off season. I've been hunting divers this year and it seems to have little effect on them good or bad. If they are legal and you are shotting puddle ducks you have to have one to compete, but if you are shooting divers don't waste your money.

11. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Thanks for the review rb45. My dad and I are definately getting two before next season. On our hunt this year the fellas with robo ducks in other blinds pulled out almost 2 times the ducks as us fools without them.

Some may say it's cheating, but if your neighbor has one, you better too if you want to see birds fly your way.