Any Documentaries GT folks would like to recommend?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Slug71, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Slug71

Slug71

Just watched Murder By Proxy on Netflix last night and definitely recommend it. Rings very true today.

Another couple I liked was I.O.U.S.A. which I also watched on Netflix as well as Food Inc.

On a lighter note, BBC's Planet Earth is pretty awesome too. Would like to see their "Life" one

2. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

I doubt you'll find it on Netflix (I don't use it so I don't know) but I highly recommend "Byzantium - The Lost Empire." You'll learn all about the Roman Empire after it converted to Christianity and moved it's capital from Rome to Constantinople. It was a major eye-opener to me when I first saw it. It's a four-part series and it's on youtube, so here just watch it (go to youtube and switch to 480p for better display).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCVYF_XIfvk"]Byzantium, The Lost Empire: 1. Building the Dream - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLHtimYpr4E"]Byzantium, The Lost Empire: 2.Heaven on Earth - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kck65BL3-EE"]Byzantium, The Lost Empire: 3. Envy of the world - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdf7qsLoZ74"]Byzantium, The Lost Empire: 4. Forever.and.Ever - YouTube[/ame]

3. Slug71

Slug71

Awesome, thanks. :)

4. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3qkf3bajd4"]Yuri Bezmenov: Deception Was My Job (Complete) - YouTube[/ame]

5. WarCry

WarCry

Not sure specifically what you're looking for, but if you're into movies at all, I'd really suggest trying to find The Rocky Saga: Going the Distance. Great look at the making of these films and the majority of it deals with the first movie, working with small budgets and (most interesting to me) technological developments created for the movie (for example, this was the very first movie to make extensive use of StediCam rigs).

6. PersonOfInterest

PersonOfInterest

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ3F0e0uj-M"]Ned Kelly Uncovered Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]
    I just watched this recently - you can watch the whole documentary on you tube - really interesting goes into the politics and even the actual physical possibilities of what happened or didnt really happen. The story of Ned Kelly and his gang i think alot of Americans would appriciate alot, he is a real hero here in Australia.

7. ChiTownPicaro

ChiTownPicaro

Check out "Hungry for Change" on Netflix. You will look at food very differently.

8. Threefoot

Threefoot

"Before The Music Dies"

I found and watched it on Hulu. Not sure if it is available elsewhere.

9. N4LP

N4LP

Free on iTunes from Audi:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtmNOsgfiV8"]Truth in 24 Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

Truth In 24

It's 24 hours of pure exhilaration, complete exhaustion, and it's not for the faint of heart or the ill-prepared. It is the legendary 24 Hours of Le Mans. But before you win it, you have to master finishing it. This film chronicles the dedication, the determination and the spirit required to not just survive 3,000 grueling miles, but to be in a position to win one of the greatest races in history.

Truth In 24 II: Every Second Counts

The Le Mans 24 Hours are a legend. They are mentioned in the same breath as the Rallye Monte Carlo, the Monaco Grand Prix and the Indianapolis 500. Since 1923, hundreds of thousands of motorsport enthusiasts have been flocking to La Sarthe year by year to experience the one-day race. To watch the protagonists in their sports cars battle for each place and each meter of tarmac with bated breath. The drivers cover 4,800 kilometers in 24 hours - almost as many as the Formula One racers in a whole year. Every Le Mans winner has gone down in history. The three Audi drivers André Lotterer, Benoît Tréluyer and Marcel Fässler did so in a special way with the triumph they achieved in 2011. The film TRUTH IN 24 II documents the tenth and arguably most emotional triumph of the brand with the four rings at this sports car classic. After two Audi R18 TDI cars have retired following spectacular accidents, the remaining Audi fights a dramatic battle for overall victory with the three Peugeot 908 cars which the Audi trio ultimately decides in its favor with a narrow margin of 13 seconds. The film captures the entire drama of the fourth-narrowest running of the Le Mans 24 Hours with intimate insights into the team of Audi Sport and breath-taking pictures.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  10. Restless28

Restless28

Who Killed The Electric Car?
    America:The Story of Us

11. stevelyn

stevelyn NRA Life Member

In The Shadow Of The Moon.

12. ArtCrafter

ArtCrafter ¤Hocker Mocker¤

On NETFLIX, I would recommend:

• The Invisible War (2012)

• Auschwitz: Inside The Nazi State (2005)

• Ken Burns: The Civil War (1990)

• Plus about a bazillion others...

HTH :wavey:

13. Slug71

Slug71

Thanks for all the recommendations. :)

14. Andy W

Andy W

There are some interesting documentaries about the adult film industry on Netflix. I should refrain from listing them here though. They are rather explicit so keep that in mind.

On the cleaner side, there is a good one called "How Beer Saved the World." Talks about the importance of beer in early civilizations through the middle ages and also even in the formation of the United States.

15. aplcr0331

aplcr0331

16. Slug71

Slug71

I did see one there and do plan on watching it. :D

17. Slug71

Slug71

Definitely. Also really want to see that Senna one. Heard it is awesome.

18. VonHoffmann

VonHoffmann

Check out "Restrepo; One Platoon, One Valley, One Year"

Very well done documentary about a firebase in the Korengal valley of Afghanistan.

Can be streamed on Netflix.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  19. Slug71

Slug71

Thanks. :thumbup:

20. Annhl8rX

Annhl8rX

"Man On Wire" is awesome. If I were to recommend just one, that'd be the one.

If you're into sports at all, the ESPN 30 for 30 series is great. My favorites from that are "Catching Hell" and "The Birth of Big Air".

"Supersize Me" and "Superhigh Me" are both fairly entertaining. "Beer Wars" is a nice look at the brewing industry.

"Special When Lit: A Pinball Documentary" was surprisingly interesting.

"Beyond the Mat" and "Hitman Hart: Wrestling with Shadows" are both good wrestling documentaries, if that interests you at all.