close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any Deputy US Marshals here?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by COLOSHOOTR, Feb 12, 2010.

1. COLOSHOOTR

COLOSHOOTR

I'm considering a career change since my Deparment is pretty much a dead end place right now. At my District we are averaging 8-10years before you get specialized training like SWAT, Detective (CID & Vice/Narc) or K9. Add the time it takes for a position to open up after you've gotten the training and you see where I'm coming from. To add to the mess they are still cutting our staffing and sending guys to the airport so they can hide officers on the federal budget. On the street we are at the same staffing we were at in the mid to late 70's even though we have a booming population and they still consider us to be over strength. I love it on the street I just don't like the fact it's going to be several more years before I get to try something new and even then slots are pretty hard to come by right now....

So that gets me to the point. I'm interested in a career with the USMS. I do understand that I get to sit and be bored at the court house for a few years and I'm okay with that. What I'm really interested in is the Investigative side and possibly being on a task force or something after I do my time as the low man. I'm just looking to talk to someone that can give me some info. I've heard conflicting things about the chances of even doing the fun stuff in a USMS career. Some say that after a few years you can get out to a field office and do investigations after you've done your time elsewhere. Others say you might never do investigations and might never get any street time on a task force. Anyone who has info feel free to PM me or post what you know here... I just want to hear about it the career options and chances of those options from someone else who is not a recruiter.

2. Bobshouse

Bobshouse

Don't think you'd get to sit and be bored at the courthouse. Most US Marshalls are into prisoner transport. To and from court to jail/prison. From Federal Prison to Federal Prison by plane, train or automobile.

3. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

I looked in to US Marshalls.. Thing is they hire for large regions, so it was almost certain that I'd have to move within my region (what are there, like 6 marshall regions?).. My family is more important to me..

Other than that, probably a pretty good gig.. Especially if you can eventually get a spot on the fugitive apprehension teams..

4. merlynusn

merlynusn

PM Sent.

Yes, they do hire within regions and you can go anywhere within that region. Most probably to one of the main offices (I'd imagine the 2-3 places they are doing the hiring processes).

5. TexasSchool Cop

TexasSchool Cop

From what I know (I am on a Task Force). most of the DUSM's start in the district office and can be assigned Court, Transport or to the local district task force (if they have one). After several years of paying your dues, you can try to transfer to A Regional Task Force (there are only 6) Witness protection or other fun stuff.

The guys I work with are highly motivated and we get a lot of good cases. It is usually a lot of fun. In our district DUSM's rotate through Court and Warrants every 3 months. They also go to special assignments like high profile trials etc. USMS make more arrests than other federal agencies, but almost all of their investigation are fugitive investigative based. Sometimes they may get a investigation on someone smuggling contraband into a federal jail. Some are assigned to Judicial Security or Protective Intelligence.

It is a hard place to land a job, but I don't see many leaving to join other agencies, however I do see other 1811's trying to get into USMS. Good luck

6. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

The various alphabet agencies who were recruiting our class during second year of law school were all putting on a good show and telling us how cool their agency is. The DUSM came and said, "You guys have law degrees, you don't want to join our agency. You'll be bored to death."

I asked about the fugitive detail which was the one I was interested in and he said it's possible, but it takes time to get on the manhunter squad. I'll be more likely to be shuffled to asset forfeiture than fugitive detail.

Forget Witless Protection. No interest in babysitting scumbags who decide to rat out their own to protect their hide.

7. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

What District are you working?

I was mostly District 4 (in the 1980s) but some 2 and 3 with a tiny bit of 1.

8. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Marshall's = Cheap clothes.
    Marshals = Cool Feds.

:supergrin:

PM sent.

9. MVD

MVD

Is the USMS still pushing this BS as a selling point?

10. COLOSHOOTR

COLOSHOOTR

I'm at 2 right now.

Thanks for all the info guys... I don't really trust recruiters anywhere since they tend to sugar coat everything and won't be 100% honest since their job is to get applicants. It's nice to get some straight answers I really appriciate it! My better half has given me the go for the change if I decide I want to and they open up hiring soon.