ANY DEDICATED G42 FANS?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Sheepdoggit, Nov 16, 2019.

1. YES

72 vote(s)
    71.3%
  2. NO

9 vote(s)
    8.9%
  3. I don't know

19 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Other

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

"Once you break through it you might end up with a reliable gun."

I very seldom count rounds fired in any gun.
    I usually just grab a couple handfuls of ammo.
    Come to think of it, all this ammo is gone. (not all of it was shot in the G42, but a lot was)

380 ammo.jpg

Now all the 380 ammo, and most all reloads and factory ammo, is in 30 and 50 cal steel ammo cans.

This is the stuff I'm shooting in the G42 now days.
    It looks like it's time to crank up the 380 reloader again. :)

IMG_3262.JPG

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    BDM71 likes this.
  2. ShaneS

ShaneS Millennium Member

I started reloading .380 recently. A friend told me a long time ago it was hard to load, but he was wrong. You can do more with the .380 round for use in the Glock 42.

BDM71 likes this.

3. DrewBone

DrewBone

Sometimes it's worth a look outside'a the box, as I appreciate the older technology. I'm still waiting to road test a little guy that I recently scored at one of my usual pawn shop destinations, an FI (Firearms International) Model D in .380acp, a tilting barrel 1911-ish micro pistol with 6+1 capacity, built in the Washington, DC area during the mid 70's, which was the precursor to Colt's Mustang (there's some interesting shared history between these two pistols)...

4. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Sounds interesting.

5. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Straight wall cases, like the 380, 9mm, 45, 38/357, etc are very easy to load. There's just some never break rules like, use the proper powder, in the safe amount, etc.

I hate to admit it but years ago I blew up a 223 AR because I mixed up the powder. (pistol powder in place of the correct rifle powder)
    I'm a lucky bugger, because I didn't get a scratch, although the gun was scattered around.

My Dillon is always set up and ready to begin loading about 15 seconds after I sit down.
    So any time I have a few minutes with nothing to do I can turn out a couple hundred reloads.

Now I'm working on the last few thousand 38 Special lead SWC bullets I have on hand.

Good hobby and allows you to shoot more for your money.

BDM71 likes this.
  6. shadowlands

shadowlands

I loved mine. I sold it to fund a G43. Both awesome guns.

7. BDM71

BDM71

Have you ever tried replacing some of the internals like the guide rod which might have been out of spec?

8. BDM71

BDM71

I'm not implying hot ammo should be the ammo you would normally use, but I've heard from others that running hot loads can help smooth things out more quickly and sometimes in ways the lighter rounds will never do. I'm just talking a couple of magazines worth of something like +P ammo from Underwood or Buffalo Bore.

9. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I could swap parts between my two G42's but they both malfunction. :)

10. Pistolay

Pistolay Wut? Silver Member

This gun has almost 4000 rounds through it. I don't think it's going to get any smoother.

Went to the range today. Good and not so good. 12 rounds of SIG Elite 100 FMJ, and 150 rounds of Speer Lawman 95 FMJ with no hiccups. Then I decided to shoot my last box of Fort Scott 95 TUI and had 5 feed failures in 20 rounds. I'm not going to get too exercised about it because this ammo has a weird pointed bullet and I don't plan to buy any more. But still, another round that my SCCY has no problems with.

11. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

Based on everything you’ve posted thus far, it definitely sounds like an ammo problem...not a G42 problem.

BDM71 likes this.
  12. BDM71

BDM71

I probably wouldn't swap parts out with a gun that doesn't work, but that's me. ;)

13. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Who knows..........
    maybe if I swap parts between two guns that aren't reliable, they both may become reliable. :)

Something to try out if I shoot the G42's some more next week.

Problem is, if I get the G42 reliable I'll have to invest in a expensive Crimson Trace Green laser for carry. :)

fxstchewy and BDM71 like this.
  14. Pistolay

Y
    You may be right. I've had zero malfunctions with almost 400 rounds of SIG Elite and almost 300 rounds of Speer Lawman. But still, it doesn't tolerate CCI Blazer FMJ, Aguila FMJ, and now Fort Scott TUI. It seems to me that a top tier gun should not be that ammo sensitive. Blazer and Aguila aren't exactly Russian crap ammo.

15. BDM71

BDM71

It seems to me that with such a wide variety of ammo you should be able to narrow down a minimum amount of muzzle energy required to cycle the action. If it's not that easy, then it may or may not be specific to the bullet weight and/or velocity producing the muzzle energy. In other words, perhaps a certain amount of energy, including bullet weight and/or velocity, are needed to ensure it will cycle reliably (though I'm sure other factors like bullet design or steel ammo might also factor in). The more you know about it the easier it will be to diagnose.

My feeling is that it is a combination of ammo and one or more parts being out of spec. Or, it might be that the tolerances of each part are technically within spec but are stacking in a way that is causing an issue or issues (which may or may not be immediately resolved by swapping out other parts). I wonder if Glock would be willing to look at your slide, for example. Being out of warranty, you might not want to mail your firearm, but it wouldn't cost much to send them the upper to ensure it works on other G42 frames.

If they uncovered a milling issue with the slide and/or the barrel's lockup, for example, you might resolve the issue for less than $10 in shipping. I had to do that with my Beretta PX4 Storm Compact recently. Look at this picture. Not only is the dovetail jacked, but other cuts were not perfectly symmetrical as CNC machines have to be calibrated as they eventually start to drift.

upload_2019-11-22_10-49-49.png
    upload_2019-11-22_10-50-28.png
    upload_2019-11-22_10-51-2.png
    upload_2019-11-22_10-52-10.png

When you see mistakes like this, it makes me think about the rail tabs running through the slide channel. If it was milled wrong it could require a lot more energy to cycle reliably (that is if you've ruled out things like the return spring).

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  16. Gregoire G

Gregoire G

My G42 likes Speer Gold Dots and functions fine with them. I was watching Guns & Ammo TV the other night and they were showcasing Black Hills Honey Badger self defense ammo. The bullets don't need to expand like hollow points in order to be effective. I ordered two boxes of twenty and went to the range with it. My pistol jammed on almost every round of the first twenty round box. I think I got it to shoot three times consecutively without jamming. They weren't stovepipes just failure to feed issues. I saw no reason to continue on with the second box. Anyway, I thought I would pass that along. I was disappointed.

Pistolay and BDM71 like this.
  17. BDM71

BDM71

Interestingly enough, the Honey Badger stuff I've seen was very low power. But someone commented earlier that their G42 didn't like Underwood XD bullets either which use the same technology (and are far from underpowered). This might have to do with the fact that the recoil spring can only be so heavy before the bullets don't have enough energy to cycle. Because sharp flutes are cut into the bullet, extra friction is experienced when the nose hits the feed ramp. My P229 chambered in .357 SIG, for example, has a stronger return spring than my 9mm, and although it never gets hung up, you can still tell when you rack it that it's having to overcome the flutes (and that is with a bottlenecked design). This is also true on my Beretta PX4 Storm Compact in 9mm. Perhaps polishing the feed ramp of your G42 might help run this type of ammunition reliably.

Ps... I can't seem to type today

357 vs 9mm.jpg

18. fxstchewy

fxstchewy

My G42 "HAD" issues before I sent my old mags to Glock and replaced them with 03 ones, but i only had issues with cheap range ammo, i never had issues with any defensive ammo.

BDM71 likes this.
  19. ShaneS

ShaneS Millennium Member

FYI: I have found through reloading and chronographing that there is a definite point where .380 ammo is not strong enough to operate the G42 slide and it seems pretty close to what some factory ammo companies load.

3.0 gr of one powder would not run the slide reliably but 3.2 gr did. The good thing about it is the G42 can handle warmer ammo with seeming ease.

There are known issues with early model G42s (before updating) and tolerance stacking, exotic bullet profiles and weak ammo could definitely contribute to potential reliability issues. That being said, my 3 early production updated G42s are all reliable and a pleasure to shoot. they are my EDC.

Send it to Glock. Better than having a frustrating gun or taking a loss on selling or trading.

BDM71 likes this.
  20. Pistolay

For now, I think I'm going to just stick with ammo that I know will work. Being able to buy ammo online, I can always get the brands I want.

In any event, my G26 will continue to be my EDC, for as long as I can shoot it. And when I can no longer shoot it, my SCCY CPX-3 will probably take over. It has almost 2000 rounds through it and, no matter how much Glock fans don't want to hear it, the SCCY has been FAR more reliable than the 42.

BDM71 likes this.