ANY DEDICATED G42 FANS?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Sheepdoggit, Nov 16, 2019.

1. YES

72 vote(s)
    71.3%
  2. NO

9 vote(s)
    8.9%
  3. I don't know

19 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Other

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

The .380 Aguila is a weak load.

Not saying that's it, but there's a good chance it's an ammo problem and not a G42 problem. Try running some Perfecta [or other sufficiently powered loads] thru it and see how it does.

Since Glock made a few updates to the G42 it's every bit reliable as any other Glock, but it still requires sufficiently powered loads.

Glock has one the best customer service departments and fastest turn-around times in the industry.

Call Glock and ask for Dan Kuczynski. He will 100% make sure you are taken care of.

2. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Shortly after I bought them and I was having problems and I saw on the internet that the guns are full of bugs, I called Glock.

They said, if I would pay the shipping, "They would take a look at it".

Glock puts out a obviously untested design, that is totally unreliable, then they want the buyers to spend more money to get the gun "looked at".

Screw them!

I've despised Glock, the company, for many years (long story)............

So I just wrote off spending the money on THREE NEW Glock design guns as just a dumbass mistake on my part.

Just how stupid is that. I not only buy one new G42, I buy three.
    Then right away I buy a (fairly expensive) Crimson Trace laser, thinking I might use the G42 for pocket carry.

Sometimes you just have to live with the stupid things you do. :)

I just shoot the G42 once in a while on my backyard range.

3. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

But in this case, you don't.

See the bold portion of post #41.

Stop being angry at the world and let Glock make it right.

4. Pistolay

Pistolay Wut? Silver Member

Now that the Aguila is gone (I buy ammo a case at a time to save money), I'll be switching to Speer Lawman. If it can't run with that, I'll call Glock.

5. powernoodle

powernoodle

The 42 is not as reliable as others Glocks. Its just a matter of physics. I think I now own maybe 15 Glocks, more or less, and the 42 is the only one that has choked. It won't eat Underwood Xtreme Defenders, for example. Which is too bad. It has a shorter slide that has very little time to cycle and pick up a fresh cartridge, it uses a weaker cartridge and is more susceptible to limp wristing than other Glocks. That's not a moral judgment. Its just a fact.

I think the 42 can be very reliable, and enough so for carry - when employed by an experienced shooter. But even Jerry Miculek can limp wrist a 42 if someone is trying to kill him, and you want your carry gun to go bang even when you limp wrist it. And it just dawned on me that when it shot a 42, he had a few issues with it. Miculek had issues with hitting the slide stop, and the slide failing to go into battery.

13:35 is one example. See also 21:55.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZOkPAET86c&t=775s

I like the 42, and will still carry it on occasion. But one has to be aware of the downside. And since the P365 fits in a G42 pocket holster, well, you know where I am going with that.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    BDM71 and Pistolay like this.
  6. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

An overwhelming number of respondents to this poll [including me] would disagree with your opinion.

I find that statement absurd.

That doesn't at all surprise me. Jerry has said he can make most any semi-auto pistol fail.

Unfortunately, I don't.

Are you going to expound on how reliable the P365 is or has been?

7. MedicineBow

MedicineBow Formerly TFLWYO

At this point in time, if you discard the 14 "don't know" votes and only count the 63 yes/no votes, the "yes" votes are at 85.7% compared to 14.3% "no" votes.

8. Pistolay

14.3% is kinda high for "perfection", dontcha think? I mean, I'm guessing the same poll done for the G26 (my personal favorite) would be close to 100% yes.

9. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

10. Pistolay

Well, I'm not going to read through all of those, but the first five: aftermarket parts, first time out after buying a used gun, aftermarket parts, could be a real problem, Dick's ammo? Seriously?

BTW, try that same search with the 42.

11. Fyrfytr998

Fyrfytr998

For those summer days I didn't want to carry the 26, I "borrowed" the wife's 42. It's never malfunctioned, and it's so much lighter.

12. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I would guess that figure is close.

I have a couple private ranges. Seldom do I see anyone shoot Glocks, but of the ones I've noticed, it seems a "few" have problems.

I own two G42's, 380
    One G19, 9mm
    One G26, 9mm
    One G33. 357 SIG I bought this, almost new, unfired gun, because of the caliber.
    Had a G36

Years back a friend gave me a G17. I shot it a while, but just couldn't like it. I gave it back to my friend. I don't remember the reliability.

My friend gave me a G26. I shot the gun a LOT and REALLY TRIED to like it, since I had returned the G17.
    But after several months and a fair amount of shooting, I just plain disliked the gun. I made my friend take it back.
    Actually, I left it in his house when he wasn't looking. :)

A couple months later I borrowed the G26 again for a shooter, on my range, that wanted to try out a Glock. He shot it, but didn't like it.

When I tried to return the G26, my friend said,
    "Don't you dare bring that gun in my house again". :)

He has a several years old G19 that I doubt has been shot 200 times. Something broke (I don't remember what). At the time he said the break was common on the G19.

The G19.
    One of the neighbor ladies that I taught to shoot, later, for some reason and without me knowing it, bought a G19. I think a local gun store owner talked Her into the gun.

I didn't say anything against the gun and did my best to help her learn to shoot the G19.
    She became a good shot with it. (Although I could tell she really didn't like the gun)

BUT, as I was sure would happen, after shooting the gun a good bit (I gave her the ammunition), she called me and asked if In would go with her to the gun stores to trade in the Glock.
    She admitted that she just didn't like the Glock.
    I felt bad that she would lose a good bit on the Glock, so I bought it from her at a fair price.

Equipped with a Crimson Trace Laser, the gun is in the driver's door pouch of my Chevy 24\7.

I shoot the gun about every two/three months, but it's a chore because of the fired brass randomly ejected into the shooter's face/head.

The G33's trigger guard wears on my finger pretty bad after a couple magazines.

G33 finger.JPG

It's better now after a little work on the bottom of the trigger guard. (It needs a little more work)

G33 trigger guard mod.JPG

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  13. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

As happens when we get to discussing a gun that I happen to have, and haven't shot it in a while, I get the bug to shoot it.

So I was just shooting the laser equipped G42.
    Shot 5 magazines (30 rounds).

I like the little gun. Like shooting it.
    It's accurate. Low recoil. Small in size. Fits my hand well.
    I would sometimes pocket carry it, if I could count on it getting through at least 4-5 magazines without jamming.

On the 15th and 16th round the slide didn't go forward to chamber the next round.
    I used that same magazine the next round, with no problem.

I was shooting at about 3 inch head targets at 7 yards. The few misses were my fault. Strong wind today and I'm not holding very steady.

I'd show the targets but they are not "politically correct" and would no doubt upset the liberal Snowflakes. :)

Time to figure out what's for lunch.
    Then more shooting the G42.

Retirement is nice. :)

14. MedicineBow

MedicineBow Formerly TFLWYO

For a public opinion poll on a forum filled with nitpickers, 85% in favor sounds about as close to perfection as I would expect.

HEXE9 likes this.
  15. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

OK, I have to give credit when it's due.

Just shot the G42 again.

4.5 x 5.5 inch head pictures for targets.
    7 yards distance.
    Two hands, fast firing.
    Very windy conditions.

I have to admit I figured on at least 4 malfunctions of the 45 rounds shot from 7 different magazines.

But the gun ran smooth as can be.
    And all but two shots were in the head targets.

But which by my scoring method is a FAIL. Any miss of the intended target, of no matter how many rounds fired, makes the whole target a "FAIL".
    My scoring system is easy.

But the G42 was a "Pass". :)

It's too windy to fly a Drone, so, I think I'll finish this Coffee and shoot the G42 some more.

16. Pistolay

I just did a thorough cleaning of my 42 today, including a detail strip of the slide. Got a range reservation tomorrow, the Aguila is all gone, and tomorrow will be all SIG Elite, Speer Lawman and my last box of Fort Scott TUI.

I went through my shooting log today and discovered that all of my malfunctions have been with either CCI Blazer or the Aguila, so I have high hopes for tomorrow.

zaitcev likes this.
  17. Sheepdoggit

Sheepdoggit

Have you tried to running some hot .380 loads like Underwood +P XD rounds to break it in a bit more firmly?

18. Sheepdoggit

Sheepdoggit

I've sent guns into Glock and other manufacturers. They often try to get me to pay, but I always ask for a shipping label and they always give me one.

19. Pistolay

If I could shoot loads like that, I'd just carry a micro 9.

20. Sheepdoggit

Sheepdoggit

Yeah, we all make mistakes at some point. I wouldn't give up though. If it was me I'd try to fire the hottest +P .380 rounds I could find for it. I imagine there is too much friction somewhere if you're getting malfunctions. Once you break through it you might end up with a reliable gun.