ANY DEDICATED G42 FANS?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Sheepdoggit, Nov 16, 2019.

1. YES

72 vote(s)
    71.3%
  2. NO

9 vote(s)
    8.9%
  3. I don't know

19 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Other

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. GlockyQ

GlockyQ

I believe my G42 is a new updated model, and it came with “03” magazines.
    It only experienced some initial hiccups with super weak and inconsistent Freedom Munitions XTP ammo I bought right before they went belly-up (while using the original unmodified factory magazines). But I haven’t had any malfunction with other premium self-defense ammo (e.g., Speer GD, Fiocchi XTP, Underwood +P GD, XTP and GS) and inexpensive range ammo (e.g., CCI Blazer Brass and Aluminum, Remington/UMC, PMC Bronze, FM 100gr reman) that I have ever shot using MagGuts+1 and Vickers Tango down +2. I’m also using the DPM recoil reduction system in my G42, and I have not had a single malfunction of any kind with these mag. extensions and the the DPM systems in my gun.

My baby Glock is as reliable and accurate as my other Glocks. It is also a very soft shooter. I really like it.

HEXE9, Sheepdoggit and Mr Meeseeks like this.
  2. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

My .2 cents. It's a BUG, my wife and grandaughter have had limp wrist FTF stoppage I have corrected. Mine has been flawless. I had all series of magazines 01/02/03 and sent most back to Glock for all 03's.
    In a tactical FAM holster it disappears.

Sheepdoggit likes this.

3. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

No surprise. As you found out, they (re)manufactured some of the worst ammo on the market.

Great to hear your only hiccups were ammo induced.

GlockyQ and Sheepdoggit like this.
  4. woodlands747

woodlands747

Got the G42 after a fiasco with a Ruger LCP 2 which was a big mistake. The G42 is 10 X the pistol. Best 380 pocket pistol out there. Uber reliable. No failures. Trust my life with it. Could not have that trust in the LCP 2, many FTF’s.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Sheepdoggit and ChrisJn like this.
  5. MurrayNevada

MurrayNevada USMC (MOS 0369) (RVN 69-70)

Mine was without issue out of the box. Not being one to leave things alone I enjoyed making it what I wanted it to be. Some things were done because I also shoot Russian 9x18 Mak steel ammo.
    *Crimson Trace LaserGuard (Green)
    *Overwatch Precision Combat Trigger (TAC) Kit Glock 42 Aluminum Black Shoe, Black Safety (5.5 lbs)
    *AlphaWolf Glock 42 9x18 Makarov Threaded Barrel (1/2x28) Fluted - 3.76" - Button Rifled - SBN Coated
    *AlphaWolf Glock 42 9x18 Makarov Standard Barrel - Button Rifled - SBN Coated
    *DPM Systems Recoil Reduction Spring Rod (RSA)
    *Glock 42 AlphaWolf Extractor LCI .380 High Polished Stainless Steel
    *XS Big Dot Sights - Tritium Front & Rear

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Sheepdoggit and GlockyQ like this.
  6. CladderPup

CladderPup

I have carried my G42 every day for the past 2 years. It was not early production; I got it new in late 2017. I have never had a jam or misfeed, and I'm surprised to hear so many people saying that they have had reliability issues with theirs. I practice with FMJs (round count is around 1500-2000, I think), but I did put 150 Gold Dots through it when I first got it, without issue. The only Glock model I ever had issues with was the Glock 20, which would jam when shooting "hot" ammo. I chose the G42 over the G43, which was available at the time, because I appreciate that it's that much lighter and that much thinner. The slightly reduced recoil/improved shootability is nice too. Not a big fan of the G43 grip, but with the light recoil of the G42, it's tolerable.

I owned an LCP II briefly, but did not like it at all so I sold it. Since it was mentioned by others, I'll just summarize briefly why. The grip shape was too squared off and didn't fit into my hand; it was too easy to accidentally touch the slide lock in recoil, causing the slide to hold open while shooting; the sight picture was annoying, as it included part of the top of the slide within the rear notch and I have no interest in a black-on-black sight picture on a gun manufactured in the modern age; the magazine springs were low quality and wore out prematurely when I left one loaded for a few months; and the trigger still wasn't that great. The G42 has an advantage because it's "full featured." The controls are where I expect them, and all the ones I expect to be there, are there. The sights, which I can change, give the same sight picture as a full size gun. The recoil feels like any other gun. It shoots like any other gun. Also, the slightly larger grip is easier to draw from a waistband holster than the LCP II.

Sheepdoggit likes this.
  7. bac1023

bac1023

As long as you can get a good grip on it, the G42 is reliable.

Sheepdoggit likes this.
  8. GlockyQ

GlockyQ

They actually did, right before they went bankrupt. In their defense, though, before their business started going south I had shot many thousands rounds of their 9mm reman ammo with no issue at all. They were a bit weak and light, but otherwise worked just fine as range ammo. Even their .380acp 100gr RNFP reman ammo worked just fine in my G42 with no issue at all.
    It was just their .380 XTP rounds that were so crappy that even my super reliable G42 had hiccups...

Sheepdoggit and HEXE9 like this.
  9. ChrisJn

ChrisJn "Old Bill"

Absolutely love mine and wouldn't swop it for anything. The only problem I have ever had was when I first got it shortly after they came out and had lots of FTFs with my reloads for the LCP which it replaced. Once I upped the powder load to max never another problem. It does like full power ammo. When carrying I use Hornady XTP. Probably my most accurate Glock along with my G26.

Sheepdoggit likes this.
  10. Dukeboy01

Dukeboy01 Pretty Ladies!

Never had a problem with mine. Since I retired, it's basically become my primary carry gun. I carry it about 70% of the time, with my G43 being carried the remaining 30%.

Sheepdoggit likes this.
  11. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

It's more "shootable" than the smaller .380s.

Sheepdoggit, ChrisJn and GlockyQ like this.
  12. MIckeyR

MIckeyR

Have two. One lives in the truck and the other in the van. When traveling one is in the motel. So easy for pocketing.

Sheepdoggit likes this.
  13. ShaneS

ShaneS Millennium Member

My wife and I own three early production model G42s. All were completely reliable before I sent them back to Glock for updating. All continue to be completely reliable since. No problems with limp wrists for us. My main concern is hitting the slide stop or touching the moving slide with my thumb. They like more powerful .380 ammo best.

We are definitely fans of the G42, and I pocket carry one every day.

HEXE9, GlockyQ and Sheepdoggit like this.
  14. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

M&P .380 EZ is the best thing going in the caliber the concealed carry these days. Check it out.

Sheepdoggit and alien1 like this.
  15. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Sheepdoggit likes this.
  16. ShaneS

ShaneS Millennium Member

The M&P .380 EZ is very nice but quite a bit bigger than the G42. I like the M&P .380 and hope to own one if they come out with a "Pro" model without the grip safety. It is great for training and general use.

Sheepdoggit likes this.
  17. zaitcev

zaitcev

It depends on the size of your pockets. In most of my pants, G42 sticks out from the rear pocket, while LCP II fits in. The hip pocket is less of a problem, but check for yourself.

For the reliability, I get a bubble once in about 800 to 1200 rounds, at least on one my G42, which I shoot the most. This is not ideal if your yardstick is H&P USP. But I think it is acceptable for carry. These numbers are with training ammunition, mostly Fiocchi.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    Sheepdoggit likes this.
  18. Sheepdoggit

Sheepdoggit

Did you ever try sending them to Glock to make them right?

HEXE9 likes this.
  19. Sheepdoggit

Sheepdoggit

I have, but it's too large for my needs. I have a Performance Center Shield in 9mm though which I love.

20. Pistolay

Pistolay Wut? Silver Member

I know this wasn't addressed to me, but thought I'd mention that I did send my 42 back to Glock. They replaced a bunch of parts, including the mags, which were already 03 anyway. It's still not 100%, but it's more than a year old, so it would have to go back again on my dime.

Sheepdoggit likes this.