ANY DEDICATED G42 FANS?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Sheepdoggit, Nov 16, 2019.

1. YES

72 vote(s)
    71.3%
  2. NO

9 vote(s)
    8.9%
  3. I don't know

19 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Other

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. Sheepdoggit

Sheepdoggit

I'm always looking for an excuse to own another concealed carry firearm. Lately, I've been looking at the G42. I've had six Glocks but the G42 isn't one of them. I don't currently own a Glock, but I was thinking a G42 with Underwood XD rounds might make for a phenomenal pocket carry option to replace my Ruger LCP II most of the time, so I am interested in hearing from people who either carry the G42 exclusively or at least carry and practice with it often to know it really well (which I know is subjective).
    182202.jpeg

2. slamdunc

slamdunc JAFO

Mine is totally dependable (total round count 650) with no FTF/FTE issues. I hesitate to shoot mine because the ammunition is fairly expensive (my department doesn't pay for it), and I don't keep much .380 ammunition on hand since we only have a G42, a PPK/S and a LCP-II in that caliber.

GlockyQ and Sheepdoggit like this.

3. jnichols2

jnichols2

I consider mine reliable, with one caveat. The G42 likes a firm grip.

I won't say it's prone to limp wristing, but it has little tolerance for a limp grip.

Sheepdoggit, srwoolc and slamdunc like this.
  4. SASI

SASI

YEP! gotta have good grip or it will limp wrist. For me, great pocket pistol with boraii pocket holster. Use underwood extreme penetrator. Had a lockup with Tul Ammo, didn't think I'd ever get the slide off to clear it, but did. At least 2K rounds through it

Sheepdoggit likes this.
  5. Danielsuzuki

Danielsuzuki Happiness is where you find it

The first time you touch off a round, it’ll steal your heart. The limp wrist phenomenon is significantly less critical with 1200fps ammo.

Sheepdoggit, slamdunc and HEXE9 like this.
  6. RVER

RVER

I had the opportunity to run 1200 rounds thru the G43 when they first came out and chose to stay with my G26 because I was inadvertently hitting the slide stop. Have any of you had this happen? I'm sure that my issue was tgat I've carried double stacked Glocks since 1987 as a LEO and have developed a great deal of muscle memory with themand the smaller dimensions of the G43 threw me off. I didnt like the recoil impulse either. Thank you and be safe!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

7. -JCN-

-JCN-

^This. It’s reliable and reliable enough. But not as reliable as my other Glocks. That’s partially a function of the cartridge.

It’s nice and light, but size wise there are 9mm with that form factor that I like for carry better.

n2g, Sheepdoggit and srwoolc like this.
  8. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

I've run about 3k thru mine and no failures.

Sheepdoggit likes this.
  9. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I would like to say "Yes" but the G42 isn't close to being as reliable as my other Glocks, and none of them are 100%.

My three "early" G42's pretty much sucked, and the two I still have won't get through 2-3 magazines without jamming.

Too bad, I like the size of the gun.
    I even invested in a Crimson Trace Laser, but the G42's are too unreliable to trust for carry.

G42 brand new.jpg

G42 laser.JPG

It is even fun at 52 yards.
    G42 at 52 yards.JPG

Pretty accurate with 9x18 (Makarov round barrel) but a pain to get the G42 running any near reliable. I don't bother with it anymore.

G42 9x18 lead.JPG

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    slamdunc likes this.
  10. glocking26

glocking26

Love mine it goes everywhere with me except going into the city
    (Philly) then the 43x comes out. Never had a problem with it.

11. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

We own five 42’s with several thousand rounds thru them and never a single failure of any kind.

Wife carries two every day, one IWB and the other in her concealed carry purse. She trains religiously twice a week putting 200rds+ downrange, mine see more on the average of 150rds a week.

The G42 is not prone to failures with limp wristing or other poor shooting technique, but the .380ACP cartridge in general can be.

She literally does everything she can to try and induce failures with her 42’s and it never happens. She even has an old purse and jacket for running drills firing from inside the purse and jacket pocket, never a failure.

We personally know a couple dozen folks that also carry the 42 as primary, back-up and/or off duty and never hear anything negative. In the circles we travel, it is hands down the most popular pistol for those roles.

The 42 is the best carry pistol ever made chambered in .380ACP.

12. HardlyAble2

HardlyAble2

Summertime carry....shoots anything, nary a hitch..
    42w.jpg

13. SK2344

SK2344

Being a Glock Guy, I would have bought a G42 in a heart beat but I already had a LCP II which I bought in 2017 and it has been flawless for me and it is the perfect size that I like for a .380. Having said this, I still would have purchased the G42 if it was just a smaller size, like most of the other .380 guns on the market. I think Glock made a big mistake when designing this gun because IMO, the whole purpose for having a .380 is for ultimate conceal carry which the 42 does not have. Having said this, I still may buy a G42 in the future because I just love glocks!

14. Gregoire G

Gregoire G

I carry mine in a BugBite ankle holster. Hardly know it's there.

15. Pistolay

Pistolay Wut? Silver Member

I guess I would say that I'm dedicated to trying to get my 42 to run reliably. Could be ammo. All of my malfunctions over the past 700 or so rounds have been with Aguila 95 FMJ, which my SCCY CPX-3 has no problems with. Anyway, the Aguila is finally gone and next up is Speer Lawman 95, so I guess we'll see.

I will say that when I carry this gun, it's with SIG Elite 100 FMJ, and after almost 400 rounds, I've never had a malfunction with that ammo.

powernoodle likes this.
  16. Johnssd2

Johnssd2

I love the 42. Mine is very new (Born September 2019). I didn’t get it for pocket carry; I bought it specifically to carry appendix (in a Vedder) for when I want to carry light, which is often. It’s been dependable and is highly accurate. I haven’t messed with the mags (extensions or anything and won’t) but added Glock oem night sights. I have a Kusiak holster for it on order. I prefer it to pocket rockets because it has more reach if needed. Still roll a p32 in the pocket and an extra 42 mag. At night I still carry the 26.5 though.

17. hannstv

hannstv

I got mine in a trade so I don't know the round count. I have put a little over 250 rounds through it with never a bobble. I have only used a couple of different HB ammo and Critical Defense in it. It is what I carry when I go on my daily walks.

18. MedicineBow

MedicineBow Formerly TFLWYO

Mine has been 100% reliable with factory ammo, including multiple types of self-defense ammo. I try to limp wrist new guns, and I have not had a problem. That is much better than my Gen 4 Glock 19. I did have some tolerance stacking problems with some new cases and CCI primers when I first started loading them on my Dillon 550, but that is behind me now and I buy jacketed bullets by the thousands and load them for about 13 cents a round (excluding brass). It is a really fun little gun to shoot. Everyone should try a Glock 42!

[​IMG]

19. jim goose

jim goose "The Goose"

If your a Glock fan, I think it’s one of those guns you’ll end with anyway.

Sheepdoggit likes this.
  20. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

@MedicineBow
    That 42 looks great in Battleship Grey!

Sheepdoggit and MedicineBow like this.