close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any danger to adjusting AGP bus voltage?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by charlisity, Mar 14, 2006.

1. charlisity

charlisity is full of it

A friend of mine bought an ATI Radeon X1600 Pro for his Dell 4550 and it won't work with his motherboard.

If his bios says the AGP bus voltage is different than what the card requires, is there any danger in adjusting it to match the cards voltage requirement and try installing it again?

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Is there a Molex jack to hook to the power supply? Make sure it has its own cable, if so, with no drives, lights or fans sharing it.

The PCI-E interface carries more juice, so I don't believe they need the PSU plug, but AGP's of this caliber need the extra wattage.

If that doesn't help, check his PSU. Could need to test with a bigger one to make sure, but it sounds like one of these conditions is the root of the issue.

3. charlisity

charlisity is full of it

There was a power cable provided but I don't know if he gave it a dedicted wire. I took the video card home and tested it on my pc and it ran without the wire. It powered up with just the agp port voltage. The fan ran too but the screen was a blur of colored lines that seemed to be locked on a constant refresh cycle.

His computer didn't show anything. In fact, the monitor only displayed the orange led power light and nothing else. No beeps either.

4. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Okay, then it sounds like his Dell PSU is too weak to run a decent card.

That's probably for the best, since a hot GFX card in a case with poor ventilation is probably doomed to an early death.

Since it is a known-good card, the problem is most likely the power supply.

he'd need to get an adapter to let him use an Antec or some other decent 480W PSU in there, and then it should run okay.

But first you should try resetting the CMOS...unplug the power cord, pull the battery from the MOBO, and hit the power switch on the case a few times. Then put the battery back in, plug in the cord, replace the side panel and boot up. You will have to run the BIOS setup again, though this may fix the problem in itself.

Thing is, this is a Dell we are talking about; there probably isn't an option to ramp the FSB clocks or the vDIMM/vAGP in its pi$$-weak BIOS.