Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just gotten back into road cycling (started back into cross country last year) and I'm wondering, if you do carry while road riding, where do you conceal it?

I don't carry while on the trail for a variety of reasons. I do carry while on the road bike because I usually start from home and sometimes ride through some sketchy areas while on my why to where I'm riding. I'm also somewhat paranoid about running into someone I've locked up.

Lately I've been wearing a pair of cargo shorts and tossing my .380 Kel Tec in (in a pocket holster) in one of my cargo pockets. I'd really rather not ride with cargo shorts on.

If I carried it my jersey pocket would my sweat damage the gun?

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

·
BOOSH
4,012 Posts
In the last few years I've ridden into work a several dozen times, until the bosses put the nix on that for various reasons. Anyway, I initially bought a S&W 642 for the fact that its stainless and relatively concealable. Relatively. I would just stuff it in the cargo pocket of my shorts, but since buying my Ruger LCP, that's pretty much my go-to concealment gun. The only downside (and I could see it being the same with your Kel-Tec) is that sweat WILL rust the slide. If you want to carry it in a jersey pocket, i'd try a couple pocket holsters to see if they will make it look like a wallet and still protect it reasonably effectively.

The other option would be to rig it to a Camelbak (if you wear one when you're playin roadie) or something. All I do is trail ride, and when I'm goin OTR, I just slap some semi-slicks on my trail bike, so with the cargo shorts and Camelbak I don't look TOO out of place.

Another option would be that holster shirt thing from 5.11. I haven't heard anything bad, but I still feel like there are better options. Keep us updated.

·
BOOSH
4,012 Posts
Fanny pack?

Chest Raider?
Can't speak for the OP, but I found when pedalling with the fanny pack, my thighs would constantly smack it, making it severely umcomfortable. Just my observations

·
Cover is Code 3
4,277 Posts
Motorcycle, I usually wear it in a belt holster same as I do for regular off duty wear. I have overpants I pull over top of my regular pants and they and the motorcycle jacket conceal it well.

On my pedal bike, I either don't carry (ung) or I throw a 642 in a small fanny pack.

I guess if you pocket carry and worry about rust from sweat you could ziploc the gun...?

·
38,473 Posts
I tried carrying the same way as usual while riding and scared a few friends when they saw my gun showing as I was going down the highway. Lucky nobody called the chippies. It has happened a few times recently that chippies stopped off-duty cops on bikes because motorists called in a motorcyclist with a gun.

That's why I try other ways to make sure the gun stays concealed. Our sport jackets are cut very fitted and the waist does not leave room for a gun and if you sit and it pops out, the jacket is tight enough that it won't ride over it again to cover it. It will just stay on top of the gun or behind the gun, leaving it exposed.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
zebra: your first issue is the fact that you are wearing cargo shorts while road cycling

wtf!!!!

Riding is just about the only time I don't carry. Too hard to conceal and retain. Also a decent danger if you were to fall and land on the gun. (Injury, not misfire)

·
Massive Member
26,363 Posts
zebra: your first issue is the fact that you are wearing cargo shorts while road cycling

wtf!!!!

Riding is just about the only time I don't carry. Too hard to conceal and retain. Also a decent danger if you were to fall and land on the gun. (Injury, not misfire)
THis...

I do carry though, in fanny pack on front. If I fall and land on the gun, I want it to be against soft tissues like stomach, rather than against bones like a hip, and definitely NOT my spine. And I'm skating rather than riding. Same issues with carrying/falling, if not concealment.

·
Registered
27,990 Posts

·
Zippy's Friend.
6,662 Posts
I ride to and from work when the weather allows. I have two small packs or bags on the bicycle - one under the seat in the back, and one just behind the handlebar stem on the spine of the frame. The forward one fits a cell and my KT P3AT perfectly. I got both packs at a local bike shop for under $25 each. Well worth it.

And how the hell do you wear cargo shorts riding? Doesn't your taint complain after a couple of miles?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
SPD: The one that mounts between the headtube/stem and top tube is called a "Bento Box" (usually). They come in varying sizes, that might help you out zebra.

·
Registered
11,701 Posts

·
Registered
27,990 Posts
How does that conceal for a bicyclist? Seems like it would REALLY obvious under a T-shirt or especially that skin tight lycra-stuff that a lot of bicyclists seem to wear.
I wear t-shirts all the time without anyone noticing the weapon. Skin tight jersey's is another matter.

It has a money back guarantee. Most comfortable holster I've ever used.

·
BOOSH
4,012 Posts
And how the hell do you wear cargo shorts riding? Doesn't your taint complain after a couple of miles?
Most mountain biking shorts are cargo-style shorts over an included liner. So its not like you're NOT wearing the diaper, you're just saving everyone else from having to see your grapes. And as a clydesdale, those are all I wear, cuz it gets real ugly otherwise. Ugh

I like the idea of having something mounted forward on the front triangle, just haven't found something I like yet. Of course, "off body" carry has its own set of problems, but its an option. I can see the belly-band type holster working with a loose-fitting jersey, or maybe if you put the weapon high up under your armpit, but that limits accessability, too. Gotta find that balance, I guess.

Just OC, that'll solve all your problems! :supergrin:

·
38,473 Posts
Most mountain biking shorts are cargo-style shorts over an included liner. So its not like you're NOT wearing the diaper, you're just saving everyone else from having to see your grapes. And as a clydesdale, those are all I wear, cuz it gets real ugly otherwise. Ugh

I like the idea of having something mounted forward on the front triangle, just haven't found something I like yet. Of course, "off body" carry has its own set of problems, but its an option. I can see the belly-band type holster working with a loose-fitting jersey, or maybe if you put the weapon high up under your armpit, but that limits accessability, too. Gotta find that balance, I guess.

Just OC, that'll solve all your problems! :supergrin:
Off-duty chest raider FTW!

http://www.survivalsheath.com/holsters/frame.htm

·
BOOSH
4,012 Posts
Off-duty chest raider FTW!
That is the most ridiculous, wacker-esque piece of psuedo-equipment I've ever seen, heard about or come across!

I MUST HAVE ONE!!!

:rofl:

If a fanny pack screams "concealed handgun", what does this thing scream?

·
Fear Dli
2,003 Posts
Funny you should mention this. I've been riding for years and never carried. Last week I took the girlfriend and her 7 year old to our Rails to Trails trail. We misjudged the time and it was dark as we were nearing our parking lot. There was a shady looking character walking along the edge of the trail. The 7 year old called out something to her mom and, hearing her, the guy tossed away his cigarette and moved to the center of the narrow trail. I stayed right behind him as the others closed on my. Then as we passed I called out: "Hey, how are ya?" He didn't reply and we picked up speed to clear the area.
I think I may find a place to tote the P-3AT. I like that little clip.

·
Registered
245 Posts
There was one guy on our cycling club that would stick his Keltec P3AT in a pocket holster and then just put it under his lycra shorts near the waistband so that the jersey tail would somewhat cover it. I never said anything, but it looked like it would get covered in sweat, not to mention uncomfortable! The only time I carry on my bike is when I do some urban riding in the city. Depending on what I'm doing or what other stuff I need to carry with me, I have it in a backpack or fanny pack moved to my back. When I had my Keltec P3AT, I have carried in my Camelbak. I never carried it chambered though.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts