Any Cricket Fans Here...or those that Know the Game?? I have a Question or 2.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Nalapombu, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Nalapombu

Nalapombu Millennium Member

Hey all.
    During this insanity that we’ve been forced to endure AND all AMERICAN sports abandoning their fans, I’ve looked elsewhere for sports entertainment. One of those sources is CRICKET. I know it’s weird, but I’m our cable system I was going thru channels looking for something to watch a couple months ago and saw we have a channel that is 24/7 Cricket and cricket highlights. So I watched a bit. It’s NOT baseball and doesn’t have the excitement that other big sports have, but it is something different.

I watched videos on it and read a bit and feel like I have the general idea down, but there are a few things I need explained before I can fully know what’s going on. I hope someone can help me. If you do t want to publicly post, feel free to PM me.

Here’s some questions I have.

1. The Bowler is limited to 6 consecutive throws and then another bowler comes in for his 6. Is that right? If so, can they just keep going back and forth with their 6 rolls each or after both roll their 6, do 2 new bowlers come in and take over?

2. When the batsman swings and barely makes contact and the ball barely travels 10 yards or so and no one runs back and forth, are there any pointS gained by the batsman’s team? Does every ball that’s hit and is in the playing field score points even if the 2 batsmen don’t move and just stand there?

3. Does the bowler have to run to the line to deliver the ball or can he just stand there like a baseball pitcher and deliver the ball to the batter?

4. The length of the games is determined by how many OVERS are set, right? An OVER is a complete series of 6 throws by the bowler...is that right? In this shortened version they have 20 overs. Does that mean there’s going to be 120 deliveries of the ball to the other team and they have to score as much as they can in those 120 deliveries. Is that correct?

5. What is a WICKET? It appears as a wicket is the equivalent of an OUT by the batsman. Right??

6. Last question. There are 2 batsmen that come out at a time. They are on opposite ends. Does the first batsman hit until he makes an out and then the other takes over and does the same? Is that right? Or, can they swing a couple times and decide to swap places and the other bats for a bit? Does the batsman that’s up, stay batting until he makes an out and then the other comes in and starts his batting? Say the first batsman has to face Bowler A, but he never has done any good against Bowler A and he’d rather bat against Bowler B. Can he just swing a couple times to see how he’s doing and then I’d he wants, swap out to the other Batsman until it’s his turn?

Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to understand this stuff better. Damned pro sports in this country is RUINED forever. I’ll never watch that garbage again.

2. bababoris

bababoris

Meh start watching Rugby Union or League. THOSE are real sports!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Budqweiser

Budqweiser

Jesus. I’d rather watch roach wrestling.

Nalapombu likes this.
  4. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

5. drumgod

drumgod

But is that wicket sticky? I tried learning the rules years ago... I gave up.

6. Sgt127

Sgt127

Everything I know about Cricket I learned from The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

In other words, nothing.

But, good luck in figuring it out. It actually seems somewhat interesting.

7. JAMROCK

JAMROCK Working Member

Born and raised here on the Rock. Cricket is our national sport.

I'll try to answer as best as I know...

1. The Bowler is limited to 6 consecutive throws and then another bowler comes in for his 6. Is that right? If so, can they just keep going back and forth with their 6 rolls each or after both roll their 6, do 2 new bowlers come in and take over?

The "6 throws" are called an "Over". And they're not actually throwing. The arm and wrist movement is very limited and straight (rather technical)...something more akin to an underhand throw in softball...just overhand.

Yes, each Bowler gets their 6 Bowls, and then the guy at the other end gets his 6 bowls. And they go back and forth as long as they can, or as long as the captain wants them to bowl their particular type of ball action - fast or medium pace, or spin.

Now, the only time this can change is
    A) if the Bowler bowls a "no ball"...basically an illegal throw. maybe too high, or maybe outside the side markers, or maybe the bowler had is foot crossing the line (like how a long jumper has to stay behind the line).

or B) in some forms of the game (50 Overs or 20/20) each Bowler is limited to the number of Overs he can bowl.

2. When the batsman swings and barely makes contact and the ball barely travels 10 yards or so and no one runs back and forth, are there any pointS gained by the batsman’s team? Does every ball that’s hit and is in the playing field score points even if the 2 batsmen don’t move and just stand there?

No - the batting side only gains "scored runs" in 3 ways:
    A) when the batsmen run between the creases,
    B) when the ball is hit or touches the batsman, and runs along the the ground to the perimeter marker (4 runs)
    C) the ball clears the perimeter marker (6 runs)

3. Does the bowler have to run to the line to deliver the ball or can he just stand there like a baseball pitcher and deliver the ball to the batter?

Because of the restrictions of the arm movement of the Bowler, he needs the added momentum of his body movement to help propel the ball down to the batsman. This is especially true for Pace Bowlers.

4. The length of the games is determined by how many OVERS are set, right? An OVER is a complete series of 6 throws by the bowler...is that right? In this shortened version they have 20 overs. Does that mean there’s going to be 120 deliveries of the ball to the other team and they have to score as much as they can in those 120 deliveries. Is that correct?

Correct - this 20/20 version is the most exciting form of cricket for most now around the world. The game lasts about 3-4 hours, is colourful and fast paced, has exciting action and can be played in the afternoon/night when more people can take off/leave work to attend. Actually, for many, 20/20 has led to a great revival of the sport.

5. What is a WICKET? It appears as a wicket is the equivalent of an OUT by the batsman. Right??

Yes, correct...and some people also call the playing area between the two batsmen the 'wicket".

6. Last question. There are 2 batsmen that come out at a time. They are on opposite ends. Does the first batsman hit until he makes an out and then the other takes over and does the same? Is that right? Or, can they swing a couple times and decide to swap places and the other bats for a bit? Does the batsman that’s up, stay batting until he makes an out and then the other comes in and starts his batting? Say the first batsman has to face Bowler A, but he never has done any good against Bowler A and he’d rather bat against Bowler B. Can he just swing a couple times to see how he’s doing and then I’d he wants, swap out to the other Batsman until it’s his turn?

No - The bowler's bowls his 6 balls from one, fixed end - to whoever is in front of him. So if the batsman hits the ball, and decides to run to the other end, then the new batsman coming in at that end will now face the bowler.

If a batsman hits a ball to/over the perimeter boundary, then he doesn't run.

Depending on the state of the game or if the "in form" batsman is on strike, then the two batsman may decide to play strategically and not take every available run...just to keep or put the "in form" guy in strike.

Hope I was able to help. FYI, the normal 5-6 day matches are really just around now for pure formality's sake. 20/20 Cricket is where it's at! Plus 20/20 allows big sponsors, especially in India, UAE and Australia.
    ...and guess where 2 of the top players come from? (Chris Gayle and Andre Russell)

Take care.

AddAGlock likes this.
  8. Nalapombu

HAHA!! Do you know if a channel that features roach wrestling? If they do then I’d guess those BIG, FAT HISSING ROACHES would win handily. Although down in Texas, HOUSTON area, just about every house has these nasty critters they call Wood Roaches. Oh boy...they’re BIG, NIMBLE and MEAN as Hades!! I hate em.

please pass on any roach wrestling matches I can watch or any PPV matches. Sounds like great tv.

Budqweiser likes this.
  9. Nalapombu

Jamrock,

WOW! You went above and beyond what I was expecting. Thank you very much for your help.

Ive never ever thought I’d watch cricket. This behavior and actions by these pampered, China worshipping slugs is what drove me to this. I refuse to watch ANY pro sports at all, NASCAR too. I hope and pray that the silent majority that works very hard for everything he and his family have will soon wake up and try to right this crippled vessel called America and refuse all of it. No tickets, no sky boxes, no tailgates, no $250 tennis shoes so Jr. can look swell at school and no jerseys for the kids. Let them see what it’s like to suffer. How about forcing them to get a REAL JOB!!

it all makes me so sick. I’m ashamed by a large portion of America. I honestly believe that if there was a country or territory that I could move to that would allow me to keep my guns and enjoy shooting them, I would seriously look at leaving this country cause if Trump loses and the democrats hold the house and take the senate....this country is totally GONE and nothing can bring it back.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020