close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any coyote hunter's?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by RMTactical, Jun 11, 2004.

1. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

What do you shoot (gun and ammo)? How often do you go?

I have gone a few times, we tried calling them in but last time they were really shy about coming in. We could hear them howling and we even saw a few. Any advice other than "keep quiet"? I am probably going out again in a few months.

2. mchgnmike

mchgnmike Millennium Member

3. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Right now is my self imposed off-season. I hunt for skulls and pelts and the fur isn't worth taking a life over right now. Here in the desert I'll hunt from mid October to late February. Colder climates can start a little earlier and go a little later.

I'be been using a .22-250, but it tears them up too much I end up spending a lot of time sewing. After seeing how well the .17 rem does on coyotes that's what I'll be using this year and from now on. The chance of tearing up the fur drops substantially on coyotes and even more on fox and bobcats. I hear a lot of bad stuff about the .17 rem, but after seeing it in action I think it's all bunk. When guys who have killed thousands more than myself choose it, their experience speaks for itself.

I like to mouth call, but last year added a Western River electronic call to the arsenal. A very fine tool. It plays mp3's, is very light and the remote is a nice feature. The biggest advantage is that the coyote coming is focused on the sound with both eyes and ears. With a mouth call that sound is smack dab in the middle of your face. A much bigger chance to spook them at that point. With the electronic call 20 yards away, you have a bit more freedom.

As for technique, most new folks, including myself, start out by setting up on the biggest field they can find. I was showed the way by some guys who have been doing this since before I was born and the smaller pockets is where it's at. Coyotes feel safer in cover so if you can provide them a route to your call that has it, they'll come in easier. Some areas don't allow this because it's all open, like Nebraska, but even a fence row is better than nothing. When they pop out of cover at 75 yards, it's a done deal. If on a large field and they pop out at 350 yards it's either a really long shot or some work to get them in.

Camo and setup is pretty important. A face mask is a good idea and the 3D camo has worked great for me. Any decent camo will work as long as you back yourself up against something (bush, tree, rocks, etc).

You should also be wary of other critters you'll call in. I've called: coyotes, bobcats, gray fox, cous deer, javelina, dogs, cows, hawks, buzzards and some day hikers. You may also get the odd bear or mtn. lion in there as well.

4. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member Millennium Member

I hunt coyotes with surplus military rifles that I have refinished. There are many sites on the net you can get info on predator hunting. Try predatormastorsforums.com and the links you find there.

I just returned from a hunt in NV. I like to use a combination of open reed howls and jackrabbit distress calls. Here's my last kill with my 1939 Russian Mosin Nagant 91/30 7.62x54R. Shot this on at 13 steps as it charged me. It was getting dark, but never knew I was there. Camo, camo, camo! And don't move or they'll bust you.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. RMTactical

Good stuff guys, thanks.

sharpshooter,

nice set up man!! I just got some camo and I think it will do good.

I shoot my AR15, so do my brothers and brother in law. Most of the guys I have gone with shoot bolt guns in .223 or .22-250.

We go in and around southern Nevada and Southern Utah.

6. MI10mm

MI10mm

7. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

I do coyotes once in awhile; there's more fox where I'm at, so I have to drive a bit to get to good 'yote country.

I use .223/5.56mm (scoped AR, usually) for close and medium range sets; a .308 bolt action with FMJs for long distance shots/sets.

Prefer standard dying rabbit mouth calls, or a handheld bulb-type squeaker for brushy areas. Lottsa fun when you walk-in quietly, wait for a few minutes, then hit the squeaker and one pops-up close by!

8. Guest

I have lots of rifles to choose from. Both scoped and standard iron sights. Everything from small to large caliber guns.

My buddies that were avid deer/bear hunters with me used to laugh when I took them out the first time for predators. I started out with a scoped bolt action .223 with FMJ bullets (to prevent the hide from tearing up).

Then one year, I decided that I was able to call the critters in really close to me, usually within shotgun ranges. So I swithced to using my little Winchester lever action .22Win Mag. I use a hollow point made by CCI.

The bullet tears the insides out of small prdators like coyotes, fox and bobcats. I've never damaged a pelt yet.

I figure that using my .22Mag is no different than using a compound bow when it comes to distance/range.

If I can't call the animal in really close then I don't have a shot. That's part of the fun for me. I really don't get excited with 200-300 yard shots from a bench etc....Some people like that and I'm not knocking it for them. For me, I enjoy a different challenge.

Calling the animals in close also keeps my calling abilities sharp. Along with keeping my scent, winds and camo abilities just as sharp too.

9. lomfs24

lomfs24

I would also post a vote for the 17 Rem. I am also looking stronly at the new Ruger 204 cartridge. Looks like a screamer. I may not buy that until next year though as I just picked up an AR-15. It has iron sites as well as a ATN sight that is like an advanced Red Dot. But it still has no magnification.

I would like to pay off the AR this winter with pelts but I don't know how much I will really get to go. Pelts are good when it is 20 below zero but it is a bugger to stay sitting out there long enough to make it worth going.

10. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

lomfs,

From what I've heard the .204 isn't much better than .223 on pelts. Especially with the commercial loads being Hornady v-max. Just what I've been hearing.

You could always get a .17 rem upper for that AR. I know a guy who uses a .17 rem AR with an Eotech sight as his calling gun and it's a sweet setup.

11. MARTIN FISHER

MARTIN FISHER

Do I call coyotes?? Yes! I have called in and shot coyotes with my G23, 10mm, shotgun, H&K USP 40, AR-15, Rem 700 30-06 (loaded with Sierra 110 gr. HP) and 22-250.

My favorite gun to use now is a Ruger Ultra-lite .223 bolt action rifle, which has been Devcon steel epoxy bedded action and scope rings, fire-lapped barrel, tuned trigger, trigger overtravel stop, a Luepold 2-7 Vari-X I heavy duplex shotgun scope with butler creek lens caps, a sling and Harris med by-pod. The gun weighs just under 8 pounds, shoots about a half inch at a hundred yards with Sierra Blitz king 55 gr. hand loads (with a 16.5 inch barrel, off a bench, of course) and is sited dead on at 200 yrds. Oh, it is completly camo painted as well. I also use shooting sticks and have hit coyotes right between the front legs at 200+ yards, sometimes they just won't come any closer.

After hunting coyotes in Arizona and New Mexico for the last 17 years or so, I could not come up with a better rifle, load, scope combo for me.

I know the .17 rem is a better pelt gun, but the .223 is a better gun for where I hunt, because the chance of calling in a Mountain lion around here is very real and I wanted the 55 gr. bullet in case that happened. The Blitz King is a great bullet, very accurate and deadly. I do not use soft point or FMJ ammo, only HP or poly tipped and only 55 gr. because I have used everything else and they do not kill fast enough with less then perfect hits. And there are many not so perfect hits on coyotes.

I use Natural gear cammo head to toe, and cover scent and a hand call or electronic. I have had coyotes so close to me or my calling partners, I could reach out from where I was sitting and touch the paw prints in the sand where they stopped. In fact, I have had a coyote jump over my partner one time to get away, it was great.

I have also shot three bobcats in the last two seasons, and my partner got one (the furthest shot on those was 12 yards)!

GL, if you are ever in North Eastern AZ, let me know, we can go callin'!!!! Bring whatever gun you want, I'll put right in your lap for ya!!!

12. 2240

GL, used to hunt in and around Vegas. Those coyotes around there are so educated it's not even funny. With a population of 2 million, there are tons of callers there around Vegas. You might have some luck at the beginning of the season calling in yearling dogs. Southern Utah is the same way. Those guys living in Utah get really bored and have lots of times on their hand, just look at how many kids they have, LOL. Your best bet is to hit central Nevada, away from the population center. Avoid Caliente and Pioche, they have calling contests every other w/e, no lie. I used to use the rifles exclusively when I first started calling. But now I probably kill 80% of my dogs with a Mossberg 835 shooting 3" Federal Premium #4 Buck. Sometims I carry both the rifle and the 835 to the stand. Finally, be patient and watch the wind. You'll will get skunk on somedays and somedays you'll kill 4 or 5 of them. Good luck.

13. MARTIN FISHER

MARTIN FISHER

Oh yeah, as soon as you get it all figured out, you make 10 stands on a "perfect" day and get skunked. Then, you go out and do almost everything wrong and get three or four on one stand, its wierd. Maybe that is why we keep doing it??

14. RMTactical

Thanks for all the replies fellas!! It is nice to know there are others out there that enjoy this stuff.

You guys know of any other varmints that need their populations thinned in the Southwest?? I wanna do some prairie dogs but don't know where any are round these parts. Maybe up north a little ways.

15. lomfs24

lomfs24

I would think that there would be a boodle of things that need shot or shot at out in the desert there. I don't know though. I have never been off the highway in that country.

16. varmint killer

varmint killer

I hunt coyotes on an average twice a week in the winter when I am not hunting other game. I most often use a heavy bbl flattop AR with 55gr soft points. I have a springfield armory range finding 4x14 scope. If you have a scoped rifle keep it on the lowest power setting. I also use 52 grain match kings. I stay away from fmj's. Coyotes are pretty easy to kill with any hunting bullet 22 cal or larger. A lot of guys I know use 243's and do well. I know a couple of older guys that use 17 rems and are very successful with them.

As long as you are wearing earth tones just about any camo will work. I strongly believe it is far more important to sit motionless than anything else. I have shot a # of song dogs not wearing camo. No doubt it helps though. At least it helps those who sell it.

Read the terrain and wind, sneak into and out of your setups, don't slam truck doors and be patient and you will soon be skinning. latex gloves are not a bad idea when skinning dogs, as most have ticks and fleas.

happy hunting.

17. noway

noway

Whats the common power scope used by the hunters of the "little wolf"? I'm thinking about buying a decent scope for a coyote rifle and was wondering what's everybody scope specifications where. The area this gun would be used at would limit everything to within 150-200yrds TOPS. The coyotes stay along the tree lines and hardly travel across any distances thru the fields until total darkness, you get about a good 5-10secs of visibility on them.
    One smart varmint in my book

18. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

noway,

I started with a 3-9, then dropped to a 2-10, now I'm set up with a 1.5-5. I'll see how that works this season. A couple guys I hunt with use red dot sights of various brands instead of scopes with good success.

Most of my shots are between 50-100 yards. Some days when the wind kicks up I'll stretch out and hunt more open ground. Then I'm looking at 150-200 yards. Even then I only put the scope up to 4x because the second you crank up the maginification a coyote pops up 25 yards out and you can't see a damn thing.

19. RMTactical

Went out the other night and we did not even see a dog. Probably too early in the season. It was fun though. My brother took a jack rabbit with his AR. Thing jumped once and fell over dead.

We saw plenty of jack rabbits, even a few cotton tails. No predators though. Not even a fox (which we can't shoot anyways). Saw wild horses (can't shoot them, not that I would want to). Saw some campers (not that we can shoot them either ;f ).

I was carrying some Winchester 45 grain HP varmint stuff made for 1/9 twist. I really wanted to see how it performs.

20. lomfs24

lomfs24

It is tourist season here. If you buy a permit you can take 5 a day. Or at least five in your possesion. ;f ;f

Oh, and you don't have to count tourists from the east coast.
    ;z