Any Benefit to Shooting +2 Rungs Above Target During Ladder Testing?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by xTerpx, Sep 18, 2020.

1. xTerpx

xTerpx Preferred Pronouns: (It, Ya'll, Bruh)

Loading for minor...130pf target.

I am a 'data guy', but have been pulling the plug on the rung just over my target (e.g., if I reach 130pf at 3.2gr, I will chrono and check the accuracy of the next load up, but then pull the plug). I am just not sure there is any value in recording data for loads I have no plans to use (aside from not having to pull bullets and salvage components). :)

Sure, these data would help me get to know my powder better and aid in future extrapolations after compiling a ton of load data, but firing 20 rounds for the last two loads—two loads in which I have no interest—doesn't make sense to me (especially with the run on primers). :)

I definitely see the value in firing the load above my target, as I might be willing to sacrifice a little bump in pf for marked improvement in accuracy...but shooting another string above that one seems wasteful at this point.

I could be talked into finishing the ladder if I am being...myopic (my word of the day).

What say you?

2. Taterhead

Taterhead

I often have an idea ahead of time where I expect my intended charge to work out.

I do like to straddle that by going a notch or two above. It does a couple things.

Like you said, with variances in the way some powders meter, it gives assurances that a + overshoot from the measure is acceptable in terms of not breaking anything.

It also gives an idea if I'm nudging up against an inclining pressure curve. It is one data point in gaining an understanding of that powder's characteristics. That can pay dividends in future component selections.

I like data, and unless we're talking expensive rifle components, it is well worth the buck or two in components.

EDITED TO ADD: But if you're tight on components, then I'd understand pulling the ammo. If loading cast, I haven't successfully salvaged too many. They tend to bounce off the foam in my puller and goige the corner of the heel of the bullet in the case mouth.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    SARDG and xTerpx like this.

3. xTerpx

Great answer, sir. Many thanks!

I didn't consider that these data would, in fact, give some insight into what an overcharge would mean in terms of pressure/measured velocities (and both myself and the ChargeMaster are known to overcharge), so this is a strong argument for finishing the string...within reason.

...and "inclining pressure curve" language makes my lower extremities tingle, so, with this being Friday, I suspect adult beverages and Excel are in my future. I probably should rough out a template to plot some of these data. Good call. :)

Thanks again, @Taterhead!

Taterhead likes this.
  4. Taterhead

Taterhead

Well, I certainly didn't intend to give you a reaction to the lower extremities the way that BHO did to Chris Matthews!

xTerpx likes this.
  5. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

Whazzat mean?? :eek:

6. xTerpx

I catch it throwing a few kernels over here and there...nothing like the snafu I had that necessitated the Chargemaster, but it's over more than it's under. :)

7. xTerpx

Before answering the call for adult beverages, I took a box of handloads I had packed for the range tomorrow and found a good example where I went two loads up, but pulled the plug on the last load as 1.) too far from my target and 2.) would have probably exceeded max velocity by a hair.

I've been shooting 5x5 different charges to see where I need to be, then take the load that meets my needs and the next load up and do 10rd strings (accuracy and chrono) of the two for the championship.

This one (3.2g) is cutting it close, but it's my 'boo'...

thumbnail.png

...so then I shoot the next load up, which, in this case, is 3.3gr and probably should be favored when compared to 3.2gr:

3-3.png

...and those two would go to the playoffs, but I shot the next (3.4gr) to see where I am at (love the overcharge insurance line of reasoning, @Taterhead):

3-4.png

Max load for the recipe I followed is 3.7gr for 948fps @ 1.157”…loaded a little shorter and started to approach max velocity at 3.4gr (@fredj338 told me I would using recipe for plated though shooting coated).

I had one more string I bagged and didn’t shoot @ 3.5gr, which would have probably put me around 955-960ish.

…a little over the max velocity (feel safe being this close, so wasn’t a concern), but wouldn’t be loading this charge again, so didn’t fire the string.

So I did take your sage advice and glad I fired the 3.4gr charge for data collection purposes, as I will be keeping either 3.2 or 3.3gr load and the 3.4 load accounts for any potential overcharges.

….and no sense in firing the last 3.5gr if going over max velocity? I know, I know, but I am so close it could go either way and would tell me more about the extra tenth.

I haven’t done this enough (obviously) to have an understanding of how every change works…change from 3.2 to 3.3gr was a nothing-burger in terms of fps (12fps), but 3.3gr to 3.4gr yielded another 30pfs…increasing at an increasing rate. I would assume the 3.5gr charge would have at least produced another +30fps, but I don't know.

8. xTerpx

...in a purely platonic way, of course, but I do remember that tingle. :aodnsb:

Taterhead likes this.
  9. sig357fan

sig357fan

you answered your own question for all the reason listed, finish the ladder.

xTerpx and Taterhead like this.
  10. Taterhead

Taterhead

Well, and then it is further complicated when your average velocities are not from a statistically significant sample size. BUT, we don't have to have an exceptionally high confidence value to get a notional sense of things.

Enjoy that beverage. Cheers!

:cheers:

11. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

Oh... trickling-wise, not actual weight-wise.

12. xTerpx

Yes, ma'am. Weight-wise it has been pretty spot-on (unless you walk away for an hour, as previously discussed). :)

After I calibrate both scales and run through our 16.5gr check-weights, I've been weighing everything on both to develop some confidence in the new guy...usually it's the Dillon that ends up off a little here and there (e.g., if the Dillon doesn't match the Chargemaster, I will zero the Dillon, re-'tare', and it will match up...sometimes takes a couple of times, but it gets there).

It should serve me well for years to come. I'm digging it.

SARDG likes this.