close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any archery hunters out there??

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by rich e, Feb 18, 2003.

1. rich e

rich e

I,ve been bow hunting for a long time with newer compounds but I think I am going to get into recurves. The whole idea of takedown bows, new carbon arrows that are stronger and lighter than my old Easten XX75,s. Being able to pack my takedown bow in my small kayak. This is like the ultimate silent survivial equipment. Plus if I take a deer with it during hunting season I will be one up on my buds. Any of you Glockers hunt with a recurve? Rich

2. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I hunt compound. My brother hunts recurve.

He's good first shot, and has a ton of deer. I'm good first shot, and can place all the subsequent shots in the same place. That's the difference between no-sight recurve and sight compound.

The trick I'd like to master is being good first shot with a recurve. :)

3. rich e

rich e

I think you can put sights on the newer recurves. All I need is a 20yard pin. Tree stand hunting everything "usually comes in close".

4. method

method

I too want to get a recurve, I have 3 compounds right now, all sighted. There isn't any trick to shooting without sights, just practice, practice, practice. The best analogy I ever read was that instinctive shooting was a lot like learning how to accurately throw a baseball. The best instinctive shooters don't even think about the shot, they come to full draw, anchor for a split second, and release. Fred Bear made accurate instinctive shots on game that most shooters with the most modern equipment and the best sights would never (hopefully) consider.

5. BrianDamage

BrianDamage YouTalkin'ToMe?

just compound right now, but want a recurve or longbow...Byron Ferguson lives just a few miles away from me...maybe he'll give me lessons:)

6. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

rich e,

I have been hunting with recurves since about 1975, and i love them.
    My brother builds custom longbows, and his are fast as greased lightning. I have shot deer, turkey, and even quail(on the ground) :)

My favorite production models are: Martin Howatt Hunter, and Bear Kodiak Hunter... I use Easton XX75's, and wasp, or bear broadheads.

I have taken some very nice deer over the years with these bows.
    I own A Darton compound, (without sights and gadgets), cause i have always shot instictivly. But, it hangs on the wall, and i use the recurves... to me, this is really a challenge, hunting this way, and very rewarding.

Don't be fooled into the trap that you need a ten ton pull. :)
    Even a 55# recurve will cleanly take elk or moose, if you hunt right, and get in good range, and place your shot well.

55/65 # is plenty. 60# pound is a good (or to me) perfect place to land. Over all these years, most all my shots have been within 25 yards.. with the exception of 'one' 55 yard shot. But that was something that i do not recommend, and have never done but the one time.

I made my own back quiver, and travel lite, and use a shooting glove, and that is it. Very rewarding, and fun way to hunt.

Practice till your blue... do your home work for the hunt, get in close, (this is the really fun part), and place that shot well!

have a great time!

CanyonMan

7. rich e

rich e

Canyon Man "you the man". I know what you mean about not needing 60 -70lb bows to hunt. When I was in highschool I shot a 6-point, spike and a doe [different seasons] with a 50-52lb bear grizzly 2. I used to practice with that bow all the time. I really think a takedown 50lb recurve would be alot of fun. Rich

8. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

rich e,

Yes the 50# takedown will work. Make sure your State requirments are within that range for hunting. Usually it is a minimum of 45#'s in most states. 55#'s is a good 'minimum' though! e.g.(conditions, and hunter error). etc.

Most people do not realize just what a bow will do on game, therefore they get the 70# stuff, and then they are bubmed out, after a dozen or so shots. I have used 70# pull recurves, and that is fine with me, but, as i said, 60# pounds is a good place to land. (for me).

I grew up in N.W. Oklahoma, Lived there most all my life. Indian country, and most of my friends were Native Americans, but none of them were bow hunters! :) But, because of our location, and history, i learned alot as a kid growing up.. 'Way back when', Indians would run the Buffalo off the cliffs, over the edge, and they had a long drop to the bottom. This was a favorite way of getting meat. We have even found remains, (bones), in the canyon bottom, and walls. Also, because their bows were very lite pull, on average 35-45 #'s they had to get real close... This meant they had to be 'very good hunters', as well as (good horsemen,) when 'herding off the cliffs' was not the option. I may get flammed for this, but, what's new.. 'If a man does his part, and like anything else he hunts with, places his shot correctly, the broadhead will do it's job'. For Deer, and even elk, 50#'s will suffice, 'but again, 55/60#'s' would be a better "minimum" on the really big game. The majority of longbows coming from my brothers shop, are 55/60 #'s. He will make them stronger, or weaker, depending on customer request. But after talking with the customer first, he usually finds out they just want to hunt turkey, rabbits, small game. For this, he puts them into the 40/50# range, (only because, although much less weight is all that is needed for this sort of game, they may progress up to deer, and then at least they are legal in Texas), and they are not bubmed with the bow, and they got enough to do what is needed. Deer hunting, being the most popular, They go into the 55/60# range, if this is their 'main intrest'.

If all else fails...

You could just 'run them over a cliff!' :)

CanyonMan

9. rich e

rich e

Canyon Man.I believe the only archery requirements in Pa are broadhead use only and no crossbows for deer during archery season.Disabled are allowed crossbows. I don't think there is a bowweight restriction. People don't realize how close the deer come in when your in a treestand. I have deer right under my tree every year. Next year I am taking a camera with me ALL the time. First day I had a big 5 point walk under,browse around,then look right up at me would of made an awesome picture. He was under my stand for probably a minute. The new PA buck law this year was minumum 4 points on one side so I couldn't even take him. I passed up 4 bucks this year due to point restrictions. My doe filled the freezer,thats all that counts anyway really. About the recurve. I was wondering if you can install pin sights on them. I am going to search for a bow forum because I don't know anybody who has a clue about recurves. I'm kinda excited about getting into this. Rich

10. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

rich e,

Hey guy... First of all, i bet the doe meat was good... you can't eat horns antway! :)

Secondly, sounds like you have had some exciting times, even when you couldn't shoot. Just seeing the deer, and being that close is always cool to me.

Next... about the 'sight pins,' rich e, rich e, rich e, ... you are defeating the whole purpose of the romance and 'hunting prowess' of using the recurve man. :)

I do believe there is a company that produces a temporary, and or permenant attachment for the recurve set up with sight pins... BUT.
    you will be "all the more excited," to use that bow, 'instinctivly'!

It is not that hard to master... if you can take the index finger of your right hand, and point it straight at something, and pretend your finger was 'loaded' and went 'bang' you would most lkely hit what you were pointing at right?

Same principal with archery, and especially instinctive shooting.
    Sorry... I am totally anti-pins sights gagets. That, on a bow, makes no more sense to me than does a muzzle loader that don't load from the muzzle, and uses scopes, plastic wads, etc...

If we are going to use a recurve, lets keep it simple. :)

I know everyone has their prefference's, and i 'AM NOT' , trying to start a war or debate, or rail at someone for using these things... those on here that know me, know better than that from me. :)

I just don't compute, using a host of 'gagets,' on a bow, or a muzzle loader.. that is what these weapons are for, 'primitive type sport.'
    I just have always felt the 'challenge' is to 'keep them that way.'

probably dind't help ya much Hoss... but, that's where i'm at with this . But, as i said, there are produts for you, as you desire...
    get on the internet, and type in 'archery equipment'... you will find all you need.

I would like to encourage you though, to do a search on the internet for 'Fred Bear, Howard Hill', etc.. and read some of their hunting exploits, with the recurve bow.. just a string, and a quiver, and arrows with 'feathers', 'not plastic,' and fantastic stalking skills, and tracking skills etc.. it will be real interesting reading for ya, and you will learn alot, and be even 'more excited my man! :)

The "only" modern thing i got, at present, is the aluminum arrows.. i would like to 'go back' to port orford cedar, and will, if i can find some that won't freak out in the humidity here.

HTH in some way!
    P.S..... Look up "three rivers archery" these guys all all the recurves and longbows and "standard equipment" for them you will need, and they are really nice folks.. i bought a martin howatt hunter from them years ago, as i said that is a really sweet recurve.

Have fun!

CanyonMan

11. m65swede

m65swede

rich e: You can try the forums at Stickbow for some technical info; especially the "Resources" forum. You can find it at Stickbow Forum

The following lists many sources of archery info on the web. Archery Web

That should keep you busy for awhile! ;f

Swede

12. rich e

rich e

Swede, thanks for the info.I'll definately check those sites out. Canyonman you would not believe the set-ups my friends have. Peepsight,Kisser button.Silensors and shoot with a release. They get on me because all I use is pins. When my wife bought me my new Goldeneagle for Christmas a few years ago they thought I was going to put all that on mine. Nope. I just put on fiberoptic pins. I still shoot with old fashioned fingers. I feel the same way you do about keeping it simple. I just don't practice like I should. 2-3 weeks before first day I pull the bow out and practice in the evenings. I probably will practice a whole lot more with a recurve. I just would feel more confident with a pin or two. I have patience and wait for the perfect shot. When I was 16 hunting with my dad he took a 45-50 yard shot on a nice 6-point and hit a little off.A solid gut shot.We tracked that deer ALL day. That taught me to wait. BTW my dad competed with his bow locally and was a awesome shot. His bow had more gadgets than a cadillac. After that he said see,let them come in close. Lesson learned. Luckily we had a nice 6 in the truck. I like the idea of having my bow broke down in a small case. quiver strapped to the case with arrows and gear all in one small package. Rich

13. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

rich e,

Your Dad gave sound advice..."Let 'em get in close!"

Let us know how you make out with whatever new bow you get ok!?
    Have fun.. and practice.. :)

CanyonMan