Any alternatives to making a tomcat leave my bird houses alone?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by SouthernGal, Feb 18, 2005.

1. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

Okay, I'm NOT a cat hater here but here's my situation.

I live on a corner lot that backs up to a lake. Last year, I put a bluebird house up in my back yard. I was really excited when the birds showed up the next day and showed interest in it because bluebirds are bug eaters. About a few weeks later, they built in the house.

I started monitoring the nest and noticed the female laid 4 eggs. I was really excited. Just a few weeks after that, I noticed that they quit coming around. I checked, the eggs were still there and were cold--they'd abandoned it.

I scraped the nest and eggs out and hoped for the best as sometimes bluebirds have multiple broods a season. Sure enough, they came back and built again. They laid eggs again and I kept a watchful eye. Within weeks, I could hear babies.

When the babies were just about to fledge, I noticed my neighbor's tomcat prowling my yard. One night when I was outside, the little rascal took a flying leap straight from the ground to the birdhouse, draping himself over the top and reaching inside. I reached for my pellet rifle and took action.

When I inspected the house, I noticed there were clawmarks ALL OVER the house. It is quite likely that he is responsbile for my first nest being abandoned.

My question is--what can I do to keep this cat away from my birds? Does anyone know if those baffles work? Since the house went up, I've built a vinyl fence so I know the cat won't be able to jump on the fence or use it as help to get to the house this year, but I've also put up a martin house this year and I don't want him stalking babies that think they can fly before they really can or jumping on the bluebird house again. I'm trying to keep my bug eaters in my backyard.

The cat is not a total nuisance, he does kill rats and stuff in the field. He left one on my porch for me last year. What can I do to make this cat leave my birds alone and go after other prey?

2. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

My dad posts his birdhouses on top of the poles for the clothesline, or just on top of a flag pole, where the neighborhood cats don't have a prayer in getting to them. I really don't know what else to tell you, not sure what baffles you mean. Cats are predators by nature, birds are prey. Anything you can do to make the birdhouses more inaccesible to cats where they can't jump or climb to it. My Mom hung her hummingbird feeder from the roof of the front porch. The cats can look, but can't touch.

3. SouthernGal

I noticed this time around that dad moved the bluebird house up about another foot to foot and 1/2. I'd bet a determined cat could jump that height though with some practice.

A baffle looks kinda like one of those collars they put around a dog or other animal's neck to keep it from licking itself. You attach it to the pole and an animal standing underneath it can see but can't jump "up" and "around" and the baffle. It can also keep most snakes from climbing the pole as well.

I'm hoping the presence of the fence will keep him out of the yard to begin with but I'll have to wait and see if he finds a way under it.

4. Dandapani

Dandapani

5. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

People, even cat-owning people, need to take responsibility for their pets and the damage they do.

Since your neighbors harbor a dangerous creature and refuse to take proper steps, you must do so.

However I do NOT recommend any kind of pellet gun...the little fink will run home with one in his butt and rat you out quicker than you can say Pit Bull Snack.

No, I recommend you do this first:
    [​IMG]

And, if that fails, combine these
    [​IMG]

With THIS
    [​IMG]

And terminate this marauding, thrill-killing feline. With the extreme prejudice of a precision headshot, quickly and painlessly.

And for all of you cat lovers here who think I am being cruel for merely suggesting this course of action, arguing that it is simply the cat's nature...I agree with you totally, and I understand that this is a nasty situation for everyone involved.

Everyone, that is, except for the 'owners'.

Because they aren't involved at all, apparently. And it is the OWNER'S responsibility to keep this from happening.

Since they have chosen to neglect their 'furbaby', it is clear that the choice has already been made: either kitty goes bye-bye in the Hav-A-Hart Trap or kitty takes a long dirt nap.

End of story.

Theyt chose to let their beast roam without so much as a bell on its collar....that makes them a nuisance as well.

And I'll bet dimes to dollars that this cat is not even neutered. Even money as to whether the shots are up to date.

Good luck, SouthernGal. I hope this can be resolved peacefully, but, if not, aim true.

6. SouthernGal

I own a live trap but I wonder if the little devil is smart as a raccoon is. Most of them will steer clear of the trap or at least try to snatch the bait without going in.

And you're right, he's not neutered. They never bring him in either--last year before the fence went up, he took shelter on my back porch on the porch furniture in the 10 degree weather. The other cat these people had was killed by a neighbor of mine for similar reasons. I hadn't even moved to the neighborhood when that happened.

7. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I have a tru-catch trap. Ain't no critter gonna steal the bait out of it ;f

The "trigger" is down on this photo--the cat is standing with one paw on it. The bait goes behind it and the cat is basically tricked into shutting the trap to get the bait.

[​IMG]

8. Guest

#1 Build a taller birdhouse. Most of those "communes" for birds I've seen are at least 10 feet off the ground. The higher the better for both cat proofing and bug hunting.

#2 option, trap it and return it to it's owner.

#3 option, trap it and "fix" it, then let the local humane society find it a new home.

#4 Shoot, shovel, and shut up.

9. Glennbo

Glennbo

Please, please, let's choose this!

10. Perry F.

Perry F.

11. noway

noway

{I own a live trap but I wonder if the little devil is smart as a raccoon is. Most of them will steer clear of the trap or at least try to snatch the bait without going in.
    }

If you get a double door coon trap then you can make the cat more at ease to walk in ( he feel it less of a threat or not a trap ). Bait it with bacon , but like posted above, if the cat can claw your birdie house, then raise it up or suspend in on a 4" PVC pole base.