Any Alaska pilots out there?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Romulas, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Romulas

Romulas Guest

I'm looking to move to Alaska next spring. From what I understand thats when many of the flying jobs start. I have my instrument, single and multi-commercial done as well as the complex, high performance, and tail wheel (Cub, Super Cub, Pitts and Decathlon) sign offs done. 275 hours total time. 50 hours mountain experience (Colorado). Would any of you fellow GTers have input as to where to look for a job? I can live out of a tent, done that before, so low pay is not a problem. I have 4 years experience with fueling/line jobs so I would also be interested in somthing that could develop into a flying job. Anyone have ideas? Thanks in advance folks.

2. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

:thumbsup: You've already got the best start possible, a great attitude and a willingness to do whatever it takes, good on ya. Now just start banging on doors.

Southeast is mostly seasonal, lots of Glacier Bay sightseeing for the tourons off the cruise ships. If you start early, say March or April, the operators are just starting to ramp up for summer.

Another option is flying to the villages out of Bethel it's a total armpit, but there's lots of flying year round, the Eskimo's gotta have their soda pop, don't cha know.

And the third, possibly best, option that I'm familiar with is getting on flying right seat in a King Air or 1900 out of Fairbanks. After a winter or two in a 207 you will REALLY appreciate bleed air heat. It's a thing of beauty. :hearts: Also, it may be easiest to get hired since you don't have 500 hours yet.

If at all possible before you head up there get 10 hours or so of T&G's in both a 207 and a Cherokee 6. Those two are the work horses and most likely what you'll be starting out in. Make every take off and landing a soft field with a power off approach and always taxi with the prop out of the weeds.

Also, the correct response to how many hours do you have is, "How many do you need?" ;)

3. GlocknAK

GlocknAK Guest

Hey Romulas,

Since you don't have 135 PIC mins, it will be a bit more challenging. However, some guys will hire into the right seat to help you get the time, while you learn the bush game. Then off to a C-207 or a Cherokee 6 variant.

Bethel can be a really good place to go. Some people really don't like it out there, but it does grow on you if you find ways to make the best of it.

I don't know if any of the operators are doing it out there right now, but sometimes you can get a job in the right seat of a Caravan for a few months if you don't have enough time. You learn a lot, and their insurance company is happy that there are two pilots. There are also operators that fly 1900s out of Anchorage and Fairbanks (maybe some other places by now too). Some of the bush operators have CASAs that they fly out in the bush, that require two crew also.

Companies to look into include:

Hageland Aviation Services
    Frontier Flying Service
    Pen Air
    Arctic Transportation Services
    Arctic Circle Air
    Bering Air
    Grant Air
    Alaska Central Express

There are plenty more out there, but all of the operators I listed either have aircraft that require an FO, or may occassionally put a low time pilot into the right seat of a Caravan. Hagelands has (may still) put guys in the right seat of a 'van in the past. I don't think that any of these operators are advertising for pilots with time less than 1,000 hours, BUT GUYS DO GET HIRED WITH LESS. Get ready to hear "No," and just keep going until someone tells you when ground school starts.

Good luck.