close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Any advantage to a compensated Glock?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by pzlehr, Aug 20, 2012.

1. pzlehr

pzlehr

I have been considering getting a compensated Glock 19 or 23. I have a G23 now and my question is: Is there any advantage to shooting a compensated model? I have seen one Youtube vid of a fellow shooting a compe model and the non comp model and he said there was no difference in recoil or obtaining quick follow up shots. I'd like other opinions and maybe some have actually shot both and know for sure. Thanks for any info!!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  2. JBP55

JBP55

Sights get dirty quicker and the possibility of hot gas and particles to the face when shooting from extreme retention. This does not apply to you target shooters who do not practice shooting with the pistol held very close to your body. You MAY notice slightly less recoil.

3. pzlehr

pzlehr

For what it's worth, I watched a video of a fellow shooting a ported revolver and he was holding his hand over the ports. He showed nothing happened as far as particles or blast to his hand. Looked a little dangerous to see him do it!

4. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Porting (the GLOCK C Models are ported, NOT compensated) does nothing for recoil. That's not what porting is designed for, not what it does.

What porting does do, is dramatically reduce muzzle rise during rapid fire shooting. If you are doing slow, target shooting, you will not notice a difference. However, load up a mag and shoot as fast as you can get the front sight back on target, and there is a dramatic difference.

There are no issues with muzzle falsh/blinding/flames/etc., with good quality ammo.

5. barth

barth six barrels

I have an extended ported Sig Sauer P220/45 and Glock G27-357.
    The porting on the .45 holds the barrel down, but does not reduce felt recoil.
    The 357 Sig high pressure high velocity round seems to work better with ports.
    As the muzzle flip and felt recoil are noticeably reduced to me
    (compared to my OEM G33 barrel).
    My sights do not dirty due to the ports at all.
    With SD ammo, in daylight, there is no additional flash I can see.
    At night any firearm, ported or not, will flash and temporarily blind you.
    I've fired a non ported 40 in a closed room with no hearing protection.
    Adrenaline deals with loud noises. Porting wouldn't matter.

I don't have experience with a ported .40.

Also all porting is not the same.
    Placement, number and design of ports matter.
    Mine are both dual ports, on the end of an extended barrel,
    manufactured by Storm Lake.

6. 9mmmountaineer

9mmmountaineer

I have a g19c and the dirty front sight is not true with my gun. I've put several hundred rounds through mine (only had it two weeks) and the front sight is still completely clean. Even if it got dirty you would have to wipe your finger across it to clean it

Love my G19c

7. 9mmmountaineer

9mmmountaineer

Also the muzzle flip is like zero with my gun super fast follow up shots. I love it

Love my G19c

8. CigarandScotch

CigarandScotch Fartacus

It took me a lot of practice to be able to take advantage of the difference (mine is a 17C), but now I can truly say that I am glad to have the feature. As stated above, it doesn't change the recoil, but rather it reduces the "flip" of the muzzle so that you can reacquire your target faster for the next shot. Once you get the hang of it, you can shoot rapid strings of shots in tight groups. And the front sight issue is a non-issue. You can wipe it with your thumb when needed, but that is seldom.

9. JTSmith

JTSmith Œgfdrïńëçł

I had a 19C a few years ago. All I remember was it was LOUD, kept my front sight dirty, and did not cause any blindness from flash in low light shooting.

10. glockpeter

glockpeter

11. CigarandScotch

CigarandScotch Fartacus

If you are concerned about flash in a defensive situation at night, you should be using good defensive ammo anyway, which utilizes a low flash propellant. That looks more like cheap practice ammo.

12. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

But...but....

I found this picture on the internet that seems to support my incorrect assumptions about porting. Do you mean I'm wrong?

:rofl::rofl:

13. youngdocglock

youngdocglock

No your 100% correct the internet would NEVER lie. :)

14. 9mmmountaineer

9mmmountaineer

The extra flash is true, but in evening low light shooting I did see the flash, although it was not blinding. I'm sure in pitch black it would temporarily inhibit shooting. I wouldn't recommend it an an only choice for CCW, but a day carry option def.

I don't carry my 19c as of now, working on getting a replacement kydex for my white hat holster.

Love my G19c

15. CypressTrout

CypressTrout

I have a 19C I am looking to sell. I ordered a 19 FDE and don't need 3 G19s.

16. Clem Eastwood

Clem Eastwood

i was shooting my buddies 19c one time at 50y using a tree to stabilize me, i have never had so much **** fall out of a tree on me in such a short period of time. it was pretty funny.

17. Keyhole

Keyhole

I've shot a 21c and thought it was great. Clearly less muzzle flip and negative on the dirty sight. A pleasure to shoot...at arms length.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGe9OJbInhI&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGe9OJbInhI&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

18. rilkil23

rilkil23

I dig mine. No issue with dirty front sight and it is yet to blind me or pepper my eyes/face with residue. Great carry piece.

19. jem375

jem375 NRA Life Member

Will have to let you know... just bought a G20C.. haven't shot it yet but will quick..

20. Andy W

Andy W

I can't attest to how much the C models reduce muzzle flip but I can say that they get a lot dirtier, a lot faster, than a normal Glock. On a normal Glock, you will get carbon build up and powder residue on the frnt of the slide and maybe the first 1/4" of the dust cover. However, the front sight and the inside of the slide forward of the chamber and outside of the barrel should be fairly clean unless you've put a pissload of rounds through it without cleaning. However, the other day, I saw a range rental G19C, after only a couple hundred rounds, the entire top of the barrel was covered in crap, as well as the front sight and probably the inside of the slide too. So they will definitely require more frequent cleaning.