Any 883 Sporty Riders?

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by wanderinwalker, Apr 18, 2005.

1. wanderinwalker

wanderinwalker 1911

As the title says, I am curious if there are any 883 riders or riders who have ridden an 883 lurking around here on the Moto forum.

I'm just asking about general riding impressions, especially of the newer rubber-mounted models. My father has a 1200 Custom I have become familiar with while my little SV650 is in the shop the past week. I really like the feeling of the Harley. It kind of tells me to just relax and ride. It feels as though I can just aim up the highway and follow it as long as I want. If the bars were a few inches lower and forward, I'd be able to ride it all day. (Not with the stock bars; they're too high. I'm a drag-bar guy.)

Lately I've been thinking of saving my money and buying an 883 as a gift for myself once I finish up college. Or maybe my Suzuki won't make it that long. I'm at the end of my patience with it from this one electrical glitch. (Who ever heard of a speedo/odo failing at 10000 miles?) So I'm beginning product research now, as by the time I am in position to purchase, I should have a pretty good stack of research done!

So let's hear all of the horror stories!! ;)

2. kshuart

kshuart

A buddy had an 883 a few years ago. It was probably a '96 or '97. At that time, the 1200 Sportster was the fastest bike H-D made and the 883 was probably the slowest. It was a nice bike, but not very big (cramped) and pretty slow. He complained about vibrations at any speed over about 65 mph. I rode it a few times, but didn't really care for it much. He ended up putting 10,000 miles on it or something and sold it. He ended up buying a VTX1800 to replace it. Now he has no problems doing 80 or 90 mph on the interstate. It is a lot more comfortable also.

For the money, I think you can buy a lot better bike than a Sportster. I've been turned off paying that much for a bike, then still having something that doesn't go fast, handle good, or stop good. V-twin is a great choice for a street bike, but I personally wouldn't buy a Harley (Buell is something different).

kshuart
    99 VTR Super Hawk
    01 VFR Interceptor
    95 ZX-6R (Race Bike)

3. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

Most of the membership at Glock Talk is of the male gender. So you probably won't find a lot of 883 Sportster Riders.

4. Glock30fan

Glock30fan Cmbt Tupperware

5. wanderinwalker

wanderinwalker 1911

Funny haha!! ;z

Actually, I have met more female riders of Big Twins than Sportsters. Their #1 complaint? They're top heavy. Being 5' 8" and 150 pounds, I'm not really at home on a Big Twin (I've sat on a few and have the opportunity to ride a friend's Low Rider.)

Of course, coming from Japanese twins and I4s, I'm still wondering why all of the Harley riders call the Sporty "top-heavy." They're just plain heavy, period! ;P

As a comparison, a gassed-up, rubber-mounted '04 or '05 Sporty weighs perilously close to 600 pounds. A gassed-up and ready to roll SV650S weighs about 430 or so.

6. wanderinwalker

wanderinwalker 1911

Oh, forgot to add, I've ridden a GSX-R1000 as well. Unless it's a V&H dragbike or a Screamin' Eagle V-Rod, it probably isn't going to impress me much with how hard it accelerates. (Now that V&H would be fun to ride, but I'm not worthy. ;f )

Point of reference: Going to merge with freeway traffic, the 1200 just pulls along, passing the slower cars, but feels pretty tame and composed. Accelerating onto a highway with the Gixxer forced me to really pay attention to a) not loft the front end too far and b) avoid "go directly to jail" speeds. ;) The SV falls somewhere in between.

7. jthuang

jthuang On The Jazz

I don't own a Harley but I have ridden a Sportster 883 at the HD annual open house at the York, PA final assembly plant. It's a neat event they hold every September.

Besides the rest of the event (it's like a gunshow but with motorcycles), you can ride any HD or Buell bike for free. You just need a motorcycle license and you must sign a release. They provide the helmet; you should bring appropriate clothing and gloves.

They bring 8-10 of each bike and there's a line for each bike. Naturally the lines for the more popular bikes are longer (it was a 1.5 hr wait for a Fat Boy when I went back in 2002) but the line for the Buells and Sportsters were reasonable. I waited a scant 15 minutes to ride on the 883.

Before you think this is just a lame one-lap ride around a closed track, think again! They let you loose around a pre-planned course in and around York PA. It is not a closed course, you are out there in the streets witn York PA traffic and everything. The course takes you through downtown York and also through backroads. Riding at a leisurely pace, it took me and my buddy Charlie about 20 minutes to complete the course. Not bad, eh? :)

You're a little far away (NH) but if you get the chance, I'd highly recommend stopping by.

Anyway, my impressions of the 883 mirror some of the comments mentioned above. It's not particularly fast off the line, or fast in transition. It's a cruiser, not a sportbike.

That said, I did not notice excessive vibration from the bike, although I did not have it over 65 mph because the course only had a few long straightways and they were through backroads where you didn't want to get up to 70 mph anyway. I think I hit 45-50 mph max. I have heard that HD upgraded the mounts on the 883 to lessen the vibration problem but having not taken the bike up to highway speed, I can't say for sure.

8. Dandapani

Dandapani

the 883 is a marketing bike. the 1200 (i used to have an 1100) is the exact same bike with bigger holes where the pistons goes. shame you spend so much more for more power that you should have. the only thing i didn't like about my 1100 sporty was it wasn't a big twin, and will never be a big twin. sold it and never looked back. no more hd's.

9. k12lts

k12lts

There is a test of the new 883 in a recent "Motorcycle Consumer News". They were not impressed. They looked thru all their performance data for a bike to compare it to and the Suzuki Bergman Scooter had comparable numbers. (600cc and an automatic transmission)

If you can't afford the 1200 Sporty you should keep your SV650, it's a great bike.

10. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

For a measly $1000 more you can get the 1200 Sportster.

11. wanderinwalker

wanderinwalker 1911

Okay, this is the information I was looking for, without knowing how to express it.

I want to keep this SV650. It IS a great bike, no doubt in my mind. One of a few "sport bikes" I would throw saddle bags over and do a weekend or longer tour on without reservations.

What I dislike about the Suzook is the idea that it will have some kind of issue every 5000 miles. Once fixed, it will go all summer without a hiccup, unless I let the battery die by leaving it parked with the parking lights on. (Not that I'd ever do that... ;Q ) But so far I am two springs and two trips to the shop because it is an issue I can't sort out myself. Last spring it was the rear shock, under warranty, so the dealer got that call. This year, it's electrical. I attempted to locate the issue, but ended up pulling more hairs out than it was worth and turned it over to the "pros," who still haven't gotten back to me.

Now, if I get through next spring without issue, it will get some new fork springs and braided brake lines. If it breaks down (again), we'll see what happens.

Thanks all.

BTW, fnfalman, I'm pretty sure the 1200 is more than $1000 more than the 883. On the Harley forums they talk like it is cheaper to buy the 883 and punch it out than it is to start with a 1200.

Edit: Though I agree, all Sportsters should be at least the 1200. Bigger would be good too! ;f

12. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

From Harley's own website:

883C Custom in Vivid Black = $7995
    1200C Custom in Vivid Black = $9495

Okay, it's $1500 difference.

It would be $2000 difference if you compare the basic 883 to the 1200C. I don't see a basic 1200 Sportster.

The 1200R Roadster is even cheaper at $8495.

Hell, these things already weigh around 550-lbs empty. That's plenty big.

13. Dandapani

Dandapani

You think the HD will be problem free? ;z ;a ;z

I had my 1100 Sporty two years. In the first year, I had engine oil leak, counter shaft sprocket. Then they recalled the alloy wheels (cracks were discovered). Then finally, the ignition module gave out. Final straw. Bye bye.

14. wanderinwalker

wanderinwalker 1911

I think any motorcycle I touch is going to be a lemon! ;a

Maybe I'm looking the wrong way for a reliable two wheeler. This might be a better choice:Reliable two-wheeler

Mechanically dead simple. I can tear it down and rebuild it in an afternoon and evening. Gets great gas mileage and is capable of going as fast as I can! ;b

15. Stop CPR

Stop CPR

I have had a Sporty for over a year and had no problems. Like the sound the look and the looks I get from riding HD.

16. norton

norton

I don't know if they still offer it, but I always liked the orange and black 883 that was decked out to look like one of HD's flat track bikes.

17. wanderinwalker

wanderinwalker 1911

I'm not talented enough to post the image, but yes, Harley does offer the racing orange 883R. And I agree, it looks hot, especially with the blacked out componentry. Bore that baby out to a 1200, add SE or Buell heads and I'd have plenty of fun.

As for top speed and acceleration, well, I did put many miles on a Ninja 250 while assorted other (bigger and faster) machines were doing shop time. It always made me smile, even though it would barely out accelerate my Altima and inspired the fear of death on many a bumpy turn at speeds I should not have been going! ;L If an 883 can keep up with traffic that well, it really is enough motorcycle.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/PR/M...B8f34ym7rK7V91UcrF6MKfd3ayZNqQWhJsr9dDkFtRwgx!-884812581!181237813!7005!8005&bmLocale=en_US&market=US&family=Sportster&model=XL883R&modelSection=gallery

18. Cryptoboy

Cryptoboy Sr. Sr. Member!

Most of the older Harleys are that way, but I'm on my 4th now (2 of them were Buells), and didn't have one issue (had some carb problems with my 03 Lowrider, but that was poor jetting on my part. Easy fix). Granted, I've only had my Electra Glide for about 1000 miles (just bought it about a month or so ago), but I put 14k miles on my Lowrider.

The newer Sportys are rubber mounted, so they are a smoother ride. To be honest though, most people don't keep Sportys long. So you can get a good deal on an 02-04 (04's are rubber mounted too). One of the sales guys I ride with had an 04 Sporty 1200 for about a year, just traded it for an 05 Superglide (1450cc motor, but close to the Sporty in size). A Superglide will set you back about $13k though for a new one. Keep in mind you aren't going to set any speed records, but you have enough power and torque to keep you ahead of most vehicles! Definately something you can ride 3-400 miles at a time without severe back pain (legs might be a little sore though! LOL)

Your current bike is a pretty hot model, sorry to hear you are having problems (sounds like an isolated event though, first I've heard of any problems with that model).

19. wanderinwalker

wanderinwalker 1911

Well, the SV is home now, finally (3 1/2 weeks down; who knows how much mileage I could have put on it in that time!).

I forgot how well this bike runs. Runs smooth, shifts are light and precise, everything is crisp and tight. Even at its worst vibes, the thing is only about 1/4 as bad as the Sportster when it shakes through the rubber mounts. Looks like the Suzuki narrowly misses the chopping block for another summer.

Enough of this, time to go ride! I've only got 25 miles on it now, with the new dash panel. And it will never do to have a bike with that few miles! ;f

20. quinch

quinch Turgid Member Millennium Member

883? Chick bike. Go to a local hang out and see.

You want a power cruiser for less than a fortune, with reliability, VTX.

Edited to add, the SV650 is a great bike!