Any 2nd shift workers here?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by nsl, Sep 28, 2020.

1. nsl

nsl

If so, how do you make it work best for you?
    Biggest problem I'm having is that it seems as if all I do is sleep, work and play on the net.
    I get home about midnight, so there is not much I can do other than play on the net.
    Never been one to go to bed as soon as I get home, but that may have to change.

2. ede

ede

I always tried to have a bed time and set an alarm to get up to. My biggest issue was staying up later and later and then sleeping in later and later. Having a set time for bed and getting up really helped me. I also seen a big difference in the amount of sleep I needed if it was winter or summer, lot less in summer.

redrick likes this.

3. redrick

redrick

Setting a bedtime is what worked for me . Plan out what you are going to do the next day , that will give you motivation to go to bed and get up at . Have a quitting time that you can eat , shower and relax some before going to work .

4. Ranger357

Ranger357 Just pixels

That’s my hardest shift to keep filled, even over the midnight to 8:00 am, so I know it’s challenging. For folks with kids doubly so.

5. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

I worked second shift for years. How did I make it work for me? I got off 2nd and switched to first.

jimcorbin likes this.
  6. JTQ911

JTQ911

I try to go to bed within 60-90 minutes of getting home and try to get up at 7:30-8am so I'm on a similar schedule with the wife.

jimcorbin likes this.
  7. nsl

nsl

Its getting to where it takes about 20 damn years to get on days where I work.

8. redrick

redrick

It took me 23 years to get on the 1st shift . By then I was happier on the 2nd shift .

Uncle Mark likes this.
  9. Uncle Mark

Uncle Mark Bitter American

I worked the 2nd shift for years. I loved it because I could go to bed when I wanted to and get up when I wanted to. Best for me was to go to bed about an hour after I got home and then get up early in the morning to have a few hours to do whatever before going back to work.

redrick likes this.
  10. mike from st pe

mike from st pe

I worked overnight or afternoon shifts most of the time I lived/worked in Florida.
    The 12 hour overnights were terrible, the afternoon shifts were great. But one must have the discipline to get out of bed in the AM. I'd hit the bed after shift within a couple of hours and get out of bed by 8AM. I got a lot of fun stuff done before going to work to rest up (LOL!).
    Best about afternoons was the bosses were gone an hour after I started and even earlier on Fridays.

redrick likes this.
  11. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

I understand the feeling. I did 4x12 a few times through out my career. Same issues but it was better than the times we had a rotating schedule between 4x12s and day tours. My body just could never adjust.
    When it was straight 4x12, I couldn’t go right to bed either. I found activities I could do after work. I found a 24 hour gym.

redrick likes this.
  12. Budqweiser

Budqweiser

You’re better off working 12-13hr shifts. Day or night. Easier to deal with. It’s easier to do the math. Night is just the exact opposite of days. There’s nothing to figure out, you just live on the exact opposite side. Easy. 3 shifts just complicates everything.