Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the extreme popularity of the 223 these days does anybody out there still shoot/reload this cartridge? It is one of my all time favorites and I shot my first buck with and old Remington 788 in 222

·
M62/76
12,540 Posts
It’s a fantastic old cartridge that many overlook in favor of the 223 and 22-250.

Reactions: TGT

·
Registered
13,549 Posts
I have a Super 14 Contender in 222. Fired three rounds in 1/2" at 100 yards once. I know I got lucky but I still did it.

·
Registered
14,701 Posts
It's just another old cartridge relegated to the dust bin of history. Nothing inherently wrong with it, but it has faded away amid the popularity of other cartridges. Just another redundant caliber that didn't make it. It will probably never fully disappear. Most cartridges hang on with old timers, collectors, and reloaders.

·
Premium Member
42,132 Posts
With the extreme popularity of the 223 these days does anybody out there still shoot/reload this cartridge? It is one of my all time favorites and I shot my first buck with and old Remington 788 in 222
don’t have it any longer but I had a Savage model 24 that was 222 Rem over 20ga
What a fun gun

Reactions: FullClip

·
Glock Fanboi
2,468 Posts
I love the .222. When the .22 Hornet is not enough and a .22/250 is too much. I find it just a touch more accurate than the .223, just a touch. I have it in a CZ and a BDL.

·
Registered
136 Posts
This thread brings back a lot of memories for me. My dad was into hyper-accurate rifles and handloading for them. He had a number of 222 rifles, mostly Remington and custom rifles. He even had a 222 Magnum (Remember that cartridge?). I still have a 222 in a 788 Remington. That rifle is nothing to look at, but I remember a 3/8” 5-shot group at 100 yards with that rifle. That rifle shot many prairie dogs in North and South Dakota when I was younger.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Years ago I had a Remington 700 action built into a .222 bench gun.
McMillan stock, Hart barrel, Jewell trigger. Shooting 50 grain Speer TNT bullets it was deadly on 200 yard prairie dogs .
For paper punching it loved H322 and Berger 52 grain bullets .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts