Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the Forum, I am interested in acquiring a compact 10 mm glock,and having the ability to also shoot 40 cal from the same platform.I know that some manufacturers have conversion kits available (Sig Sauer for one)
Does Glock have such kits available?
I have heard that some Glock 10mm owners have had success just loading 40 cal into their 10mm. Does anyone have any "Direct" experience doing this?
Please advise a "Potential" New, Glock Owner.
Thanks

·
Registered
681 Posts
Most guys typically run a simple conversion barrel. I also have a couple of friends who just run .40 through the oem 10mm barrel. The strikes on the primers look a little funny, but the guns seem to run normal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most guys typically run a simple conversion barrel. I also have a couple of friends who just run .40 through the oem 10mm barrel. The strikes on the primers look a little funny, but the guns seem to run normal.
Are the conversion barrels model/ Generation specific?
Also, thank you for your prompt reply.
And while I have you "captive"
LOL
Any recommendations for a certain model?
I carry a variety of platforms from a full size 1911 to a Sig p365.
Size is not a huge issue, but I do want that sweet spot between concealable and ease of second shot reacquisition of target.
Thanks again for your opinions and information.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
Barrels that fit Glock 10mm pistols are NOT generation dependent, but they are very model dependent. A barrel for a G40 will fit a G20. A barrel for a G20 or G40 will not fit a G29. A barrel for a G29 (even an aftermarket lengthened G29 barrel) will not fit a G20 or G40.

·
Registered
39 Posts
As far as 1st hand knowledge goes, I've personally shot several hundred rounds of .40 through my factory Glock 20 barrel. No issues. I do have(they don't sell it anymore) a 6" 9mm conversion barrel for the same gun from Lone Wolf. I use the same factory 10mm magazines too, last round won't chamber tho.
Look into Lone Wolf/Alpha Wolf, KKM, Barsto, Double Diamond, Storm Lake.. all should be drop in barrel conversions. There is a .357sig made by one of them.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Barrels that fit Glock 10mm pistols are NOT generation dependent, but they are very model dependent. A barrel for a G40 will fit a G20. A barrel for a G20 or G40 will not fit a G29. A barrel for a G29 (even an aftermarket lengthened G29 barrel) will not fit a G20 or G40.
I did not know this. I have a 6” G20.3 barrel that I may try in the G40.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I do have(they don't sell it anymore) a 6" 9mm conversion barrel for the same gun from Lone Wolf. I use the same factory 10mm magazines too, last round won't chamber tho.
Learn something new every day - shame dont sell them now. I have 9MM Glocks but there's just something appealing about a gun that can shoot 3 or 4 calibers with mere barrel swaps.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
I have a 6” G20.3 barrel that I may try in the G40.
The OEM G40 barrel is the same part as the OEM 6-inch "hunting" barrel that Glock has sold for the G20 for many years.

Reactions: OdinIII

·
Captain USN ret.
572 Posts
The .40S&W works in the 10mm Glock because neither round headspaces on the case mouth, but is held to the breach face by the extractor. The only issue may be that some reduced power .40S&W ammo may not properly cycle the slide with the 17# RSA. I've shot thousands of .40S&W rounds through the G40 with no issues ... accuracy seems good. Rather than buy a conversion barrel, I purchased a police trade-in G27 for EDC for not much more $$.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently bought a G20 and while I like the 10mm, I do want to have the option of running some .40S&W through it. I am thinking of getting a conversion barrel instead of shooting it straight out of the stock 10mm barrel. Any thoughts on the quality of the different manufactures. AlphaWolf and Double Diamond are the cheaper options. How are their quality overall? Sounds like Steady Glockin has no issue with AlphaWolf.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I would not get a compact 10mm. You're best bet for control of such a powerful weapon is the mighty G20.

Quick story here. I was at my local indoor range before this whole virus outbreak. No **** there I was shooting my S&W Model 29 when in walks this guy who you can tell drove a lifted truck. Anyway Brody looks at my gun as he walks by and snickers. He slowly, it was almost as if in a movie, makes his way to his lane and in even slower motion pulls out this most marvelous G20. A hush befell the crowd that had gathered and with one magazine Brody obliterated his target. He looks over at me and with a wink of his eye blows down the barrel and holsters his weapon. But.... but when the dust settled? You could see daylight at the end of the range. I **** you not that 10mm went right through the bullet trap and wall behind it. So... Think twice about a compact 10mm because as Brody proved that fateful day. The 10mm ain't no joke.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Full house 10mm is hot. Out of a polymer framed semi auto it is no joke I use hornady custom 180gr in my glock 20 for woods carry and it goes around 1200fps that is a pretty doggone capable load and you need to practice with a good 10mm range ammo to learn to manage the recoil for follow up shots in non ammo apocalypse times you can get s&b 10mm for around the same price as .40 last time I stocked up I'm thinking it was $14 a box right now it is $16

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupers...sellier-and-bellot-10mm-auto-180-gr-fmj-50box

That is a good practice load while not full house it satisfactorily emulates my carry load. You can just shoot .40 out of the stock barrel if you cant find 10mm locally or dont want to order it just make sure to clean the barrel really well as there is a possibility of powder fouling in the chamber. I'm a huge 10mm fan and think you will be too there is something reassuring about having 15 rounds of a rough .357 equivalent when facing the possibility of a pig or something along those lines. I think if you practiced alot it would be perfectly manageable in a compact gun just make sure to practice regularly and get a feel for recoil control

·
19,034 Posts
Whe I first got My G20sf, the firs thing I did was try a box of .40 ammo to see it what everyone said was true about being able to shoot 40 our of a 10mm Glock and it was.

But then just because I didn't like the idea of doing it, and though tthat a dedicated 40 S&W barrel would be more accurate, so I bought a Lone Wolf 40 caliber barrel for it. But later after having done many side-by-side comparisons and found that the accuracy was the same with either barrel and reliability was 100 percent with any kind of ammo I tried.

Now I no longer bother to switch barrels anymore. The fact of the matter is that the two cartridges have the same case head diameter, the same rim diameter, and the same extractor groove dimensions and the only difference is case length but the shorter cartridge will headspace on the beefy spring loaded Glock extractor claw which even a 10mm case will do if it's out of spec.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
"QUOTE"
I would not get a compact 10mm. You're best bet for control of such a powerful weapon is the mighty G20.

Hold on there pardner, I shoot a G29.3 daily--even days free style, odd days weak hand. No interest in a G20. My load isn't a weak one--14.5 #9/180 gr cast/KKM barrel.
I'm 85 years old.:dancing:

40SW runs fine thru a 10MM barrel, I have a 40 SL barrel for the G29.3 that's
never been used.

·
Registered
150 Posts
"QUOTE"

Hold on there pardner, I shoot a G29.3 daily--even days free style, odd days weak hand. No interest in a G20. My load isn't a weak one--14.5 #9/180 gr cast/KKM barrel.
I'm 85 years old.:dancing:

40SW runs fine thru a 10MM barrel, I have a 40 SL barrel for the G29.3 that's
never been used.
Mr. Duck of Death,

Surely I jest.... somewhat. I will say this though. I have a huge amount of respect for folks that are 80+ still shooting. My grandpa is 94, doesn’t shoot everyday but does at least once a week. Used to be the Model 29 .44 mag with hand loads, went to a .357 Model 19, and is now shooting .38’s with his old Model 10. Shines them up like Lucille in Cool Hand Luke.

Tipping the hat to you sir.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thankyou
So much!
As far as 1st hand knowledge goes, I've personally shot several hundred rounds of .40 through my factory Glock 20 barrel. No issues. I do have(they don't sell it anymore) a 6" 9mm conversion barrel for the same gun from Lone Wolf. I use the same factory 10mm magazines too, last round won't chamber tho.
Look into Lone Wolf/Alpha Wolf, KKM, Barsto, Double Diamond, Storm Lake.. all should be drop in barrel conversions. There is a .357sig made by one of them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Full house 10mm is hot. Out of a polymer framed semi auto it is no joke I use hornady custom 180gr in my glock 20 for woods carry and it goes around 1200fps that is a pretty doggone capable load and you need to practice with a good 10mm range ammo to learn to manage the recoil for follow up shots in non ammo apocalypse times you can get s&b 10mm for around the same price as .40 last time I stocked up I'm thinking it was $14 a box right now it is $16

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupers...sellier-and-bellot-10mm-auto-180-gr-fmj-50box

That is a good practice load while not full house it satisfactorily emulates my carry load. You can just shoot .40 out of the stock barrel if you cant find 10mm locally or dont want to order it just make sure to clean the barrel really well as there is a possibility of powder fouling in the chamber. I'm a huge 10mm fan and think you will be too there is something reassuring about having 15 rounds of a rough .357 equivalent when facing the possibility of a pig or something along those lines. I think if you practiced alot it would be perfectly manageable in a compact gun just make sure to practice regularly and get a feel for recoil control
Well, I have and regularly shoot a 4" smith in 357 mag.
How do you feel the recool on a10mm is by comparison in a approximately equivalent barrel length?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts