Anxiety

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Grizzlygibbs, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Grizzlygibbs

Grizzlygibbs

I have always had the desire to be a law enforcement officer. I am currently in a criminal justice program at my community college. The local support for this program is great, this is the second year of the program. I have anxiety about the psych exam. I don't have anything to hide but what if I am confronted with a question that I am uncomfortable with or get nervouse about answering. What kind of questions are asked in the psych? If I stumble on an answer would they think I am being deceptive? If you guys could help ease my nerves about this. I have turned out fine and I am not affected by it now. What say you guys? Did any of you have anxiety when taking psych exams? If so how did you do or what did you do to get over it?

2. trdvet

trdvet

Welcome to the club. Taking long *** tests that you don't understand will make anyone nervous. You "what if" it to death. "Could my future career ride on this one test?"

Relax, go in there and answer truthfully. That's about all I can tell you.

3. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

The Psyche test is pretty crazy... (no pun intended) but you have about 1,000 questions depending on which batteries they use. I think the MMPI is pretty universal, that's about 597 questions right there. Then you got a few others.

Then they run those tests through the grader, and then you get interviewed on them by a psyche who asks you pretty much the same thing as the background investigator but they get into your background reasoning for things to get in your head a bit.

All in all, it wasn't too bad. I had a good doctor last time and she was very cool and didn't try to mess with me. The fact that she is a hot blonde didn't hurt either. It made the experience better. I've also had a cop-hating ******bag that tried me mess with me and kept insisting I had a disorder. It happens.

4. Grizzlygibbs

Grizzlygibbs

So basically keep my cool and answer everyhing as truthfully and accuratly as possible. What are some red flags?

5. Agent6-3/8

Agent6-3/8

All you can do is the best you can. Just relax and tell the truth and you'll be fine.

6. Patchman

Patchman Florist

I think the whole trick is to NOT overthink the questions. Just respond with the first answer that comes to mind.

I remember written questions like "do you prefer to drive a bulldozer or work in a library" and "do you like tall women?" Once you start to overthink these types of questions with 'do you mean...' or 'blond or brunet ...', you're done.

Also during my one-on-one followup interview, there were several interviewers present, one of whom was a female dwarf. I couldn't stop giggling every time I saw her walk out of her interview room. I remember telling myself, "Patch, stop giggling or you're sc***wed", but I couldn't help myself. Fortunately my interviewer was of normal size. :whistling:

7. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

That psych test can mess with your psyche too...j/k lawman

OP, my psych was designed to see if I had any racial prejudices, delusions of grandeur, or was just too crazy for public service.
    I do remember the psychologist asking about my tie. I was wearing khakis and a blazer, but had a Peanuts cartoon tie with the characters rolling around laughing and the words hee hee and ha ha all over it.
    The psychologist asked about it and I told him I thought the tie showed I understood the seriousness of the interview but also should that I had a sense of humor.

8. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Yes
    and
    Burma, China, Hong Kong, Kyrgyzstan, Morrocco, Tonga, Samoa, Tunisia, Turkey, USSR, Vietnam, Albania.

9. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Unless you're working UC and it's in the line of duty, that should be pretty much how you handle everything as a police officer.:cool:

It'll help you keep your job, for real.

10. blueiron

blueiron

There are only 200 actual questions. They are each asked about 5 different ways and in 5 different locations. The tests are updated versions/variants of the MMPI, which itself is a BS test.

You must ask yourself honestly why are you uncomfortable with questions about liking mannish women, do you like to work with flowers, would you prefer to work indoors or outdoors, do you ever look at your bowel movements afterwards, etc....

If these are uncomfortable for whatever reason, you may not like law enforcement and its constant assessment of you as an applicant and later, as an employee.

It is merely an exam and a psychologist cannot see into your soul. That test an the interview of about 20 to 45 minutes is about as accurate as a carnival caricature drawing of you.

Believe it or not, the tests are marketed to PDs for their particular 'wants'. Some places want kind and compassionate, some want rigid and courteous, others want a mix. That is what they 'analyze' for and the chief picks who they want. The psychologist does not reject you.

11. blueiron

blueiron

If psychologists are so great at reading people's souls and measuring their worth, why is there such a large divorce rate among them??

12. Grizzlygibbs

Grizzlygibbs

Thanks for the responses, that's exactly what I needed to hear, I don know why I got so anxiouse about thinking about a psych, any other comments are more than welcome.

13. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Because they are all crazy.

14. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Unless the background guy finds severed heads in your fridge, almost everything can be overlooked or mulliganed.

I've personally known of people who got re-poly'ed or re-psyched because the chief wanted to hire them and the recommendation came back negative so they get to go to another place for a mulligan so they can get a good recommendation so the department doesn't have a negligent hiring problem.

15. Gangrel

Gangrel

The impression you give during the psych exam is very important. Psychologists are much like any large wild game. You need to establish dominance as soon as you enter the room to let them know this is YOUR interview.

First, appearing as large as possible is key. I recommend getting some of those "lift" shoes from the back of GQ. Every inch helps, wearing vertical stripes and spiking your hair (the longer the better) gives an even better impression. I would also suggest investing in clothing which adds some bulk, like a black trench coat, for instance. You could even hide objects underneath the coat which will increase your size. It doesn't really matter what... just make sure they are dark and metallic, so when you move around they will catch a glimpse. Psychologists are often spooked by the sight of such items and it will put them off their game.

Also... eye contact. You shouldn't just look at them, you should look through them like they aren't even there. Do your best not to blink. Your eyes will get bloodshot, but it is a sign of discipline!

Just don't admit you look at your poop.

*don't do any of this

16. CAcop

CAcop

You got it right in your first sentence there. It also works for the polygraph or whatever witch doctor they send you to.

As for red flags I noticed when discussing our shrinks and our polys that everybody got the one question that stood out from all the other in the pysche. A question designed to piss you off or get you defensive. Just remember your first sentence and you'll be fine.

17. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

You forgot a few key signs of dominant behavior:

- Show your teeth, curl up your lips in one corner not both, bare lots of teeth, growl menacingly

- Hunch your back while raising both arms in the air and wave them like you just don't care, this will increase your physical size in the eyes of the target

- Bring something that makes noise, pots and pans are good, but in a pinch, you can always use an airhorn, by creating a ruckus, you control the volume of noise in the room and if you hear something you don't like, bang away and own the room, if you didn't hear it, it wasn't asked so you can't be held as if you didn't answer the question

- Bright flashlight, at least 110 lumens, shine it in the psyche's eyes while they are asking questions so they can't see you behind the light, it gives you tactical cover while you move to advantageous positions of cover or concealment before you engage, if they shield their eyes, you got them, time to pounce with your own questions like why is this relevant or can I call my mommy because I'm scared

- For bonus points, bring some Rohrshach blotters and ask the psyche what they see in the ink blots, laugh and discuss their responses, it's a great bond builder, you will be seen as a colleague who understands the arts of making up stuff about other people's mind and charging a lot of money for it

* try the above at your own peril

18. trifecta

trifecta

I think this may actually be true. Every psych major I knew in school seemed like they were more in need of figuring out themselves than diagnosing someone else. To be fair, the actual practicing docs I've met seem more normal. Maybe they teach them that trick in their final year of school?

19. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

They don't get less crazy, they just learn to hide it better.

20. CGMK

CGMK

Would you rather be a park ranger or a park bench?

Do love your mother?

Dont worry about the psych, I know of lots of people that have "failed" one for agency X, then "passed" one for agency Y; myself included.

REAL STORY: A deputy I work with failed a psych test before coming to our county. During his psych test with our county's contracted doc, the doc asked him, "So, I see you failed your last psych test for XXXXX PD?"

Deputy: "Yes."

Doc: "Do you know why you failed?"

Deputy responded while rolling his eyes: "That doc said I was schizophrenic...but WE don't think so."

Doc: "Ummmm"