close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

antivirus / firewall recomendations

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by atlp99, Nov 28, 2006.

1. atlp99

atlp99

I need to update my antivirus / firewall software. I am currently running norton internet security 06. I have been happy with it but it is time to renew the subscription. I can get norton internet security 07 for the same price as renewing my subscription for 06.

Any recomendations for good antivirus programs and firewall programs? If they are sperate programs or together does not matter.

I am running a sony vaio laptop that is about a year and a half old.

Thanks

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

4. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

Washington,D.C. -

A little down south of D.C., my ISP is Adelphia. I use their free security suite called "Freedom". Is there anything to be gained if I run the "A nice useful utility" that you suggested?

If so, do I disable Freedom first or can they run simultaneously?

5. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Catbird,

This utility only sorts the registry,deletes cookies and temp files and history and sets some security defaults for Internet Explorer.It shouldn't hurt anything.The free version must be run manually.I don't run it after installing or uninstalling new software without rebooting first.It should be safe.I haven't had any problems with it.I'm not familiar with "Freedom".

http://majorgeeks.com/Advanced_WindowsCare_v2_Personal_d4991.html

6. gunsite

gunsite CLM

Buy a MAC... I run no virus protection, built in protection and repair program if you run into corrupt files. I have a window desktop five years and I spend more time with updates and renewals on my 5 protection programs... not to mention using up RAM

I’ve been using windows since 93-94, I finally bought a MAC two years ago, and now I actually look forward to going on the computer to work with photos, movies, word, or just to surf the Internet. I will do away with my windows unit eventually.

7. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

+1 for AVG and Zonealarm. Been using them for several years without a hitch ;)

8. grokdesigns

grokdesigns

+1 for AVG (ClamWin is another great free antivirus program), there are better free firewalls (such as Comodo or Kerio) than ZoneAlarm, but ZA is the easiest to use.

9. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

Really...unless you are worried about monitoring what programs are wanting net access the firewall with SP2 isn't bad. I didn't re-install zonealarm the last time I re-installed Windows.

10. grokdesigns

grokdesigns

Outgoing connections are one of the biggest problems with spyware/viruses. Windows Firewall doesn't address outgoing connections at all, I consider it useless. The new version included with Windows Vista is a step in the right direction though.

11. Bronson7

Bronson7

I was running the built-in Windows firewall and decided to install Comodo. Leak tests were good and it also passes the test offered by GRC. It (Comodo) has been playing very well with my AVAST including OE express. Looks like a good combo.
    Bronson7

12. nickg

nickg

after seeing this thread this morning i decided to download Comodo and try it out. first impressions seem pretty good, but we'll see after i put it through the paces.

13. Bronson7

Bronson7

Nick, get back with us on your findings. I'd like to know how you fare.
    Bronson7