Anticipated Canon 5D not an upgrade to 20D

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by hwyhobo, Aug 23, 2005.

1. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

The long-anticipated Canon 5D turned out not to be an upgrade to 20D but instead a new segment in itself, oriented more to specific professional needs (with price to go along with that). Rumors have it it will be another 6-9 months before 20D successor is revealed.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos5d/

2. j doty

j doty

rumor is also out there about a Nikon D200 coming out later this year with 12 MP at an estimated sub-2000-dollar price! Put me on the list! This MP war is getting exciting!;a

3. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

The exciting part is the increasing size of the sensors, thus lowering the noise. Putting 12.7 MP in a full-frame sensor ala Canon 5D is altogether different than the same number of pixels on a 1/1.8 sensor. The first one is clean, the second would have an unbearable noise.

Now we just have to wait for the camera companies to start moving some of that technology to non-SLRs. There are some technical hurdles to be overcome, but with time and with a minimal added expense, everything can be done.

4. Eagle78101

Eagle78101

Well, I'd love to see one. But I'm not going to buy one, I've heard price is going to be $3000 or so. Yikes! I think I'll treat myself to a Canon Rebel XT for Christmas. I've heard nothing but good things about the XT and it's quite a bit cheaper.

5. spober

spober

from the smaller 1 1/8 sensors the nikon and canon and everyone uses?theres a reason those larger sensor camera cost upwards of more than 3 thousand bucks.im not a pro i have a limited amount of entertainment /fun hobby dollers.1000 bucks is probably my limit maby 1500 tops.theres too many handguns and rifles and optics and well you see where im headed!
    btw back to the unexceptable noise.i think thats a bit of an OVERSTATMENT!;0 ;0 ;0 ;0 ;0 ;0 ;0 ;0 ;0 ;0 ;0 ;0 ;0 ;0

6. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

You mean "UNDERSTATEMENT"? ^8