Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
Just out of curiosity I did some searches on stow-a-ways on ships.

It is the transportation carrier's job to return the stow-a-way to their point of embarkation or their country of origin.

It looks like the Japanese can hold him prisoner on board their ship until they return to his home country. There have been cases of stow-a-way's being held for over a year until the ship returns to their home country.

Since the terrorist is from New Zealand they could conceivably hold him prisoner on the ship until the next time they go to New Zealand, which could be never.

They also could just keep him on board until they get to the place where he boarded the ship and let him off.

·
Paladin
990 Posts
Time to revive keel hauling.
Boats are a hell of alot bigger nowadays than they were when keel hauling was invented. They also have props now, too. Let's hope they go fore to aft and not port to starboard.

·
That's right!
8,151 Posts
Just out of curiosity I did some searches on stow-a-ways on ships.

It is the transportation carrier's job to return the stow-a-way to their point of embarkation or their country of origin.

It looks like the Japanese can hold him prisoner on board their ship until they return to his home country. There have been cases of stow-a-way's being held for over a year until the ship returns to their home country.

Since the terrorist is from New Zealand they could conceivably hold him prisoner on the ship until the next time they go to New Zealand, which could be never.

They also could just keep him on board until they get to the place where he boarded the ship and push him off.
Fixed it:supergrin:

·
Unfair Facist
26,917 Posts
He's probably got a transmitter implanted in his body so the his fellow ecoterrorists can track the whale boats.

I think they ought to cut him open and look for it. :rofl:
A less messy test to see if he has a tracking device they can put him in a dinghy and set him adrift and see if his fellow eco terrorists can find him.

Preferably in the dead of night just like when he boarded.

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
A less messy test to see if he has a tracking device they can put him in a dinghy and set him adrift and see if his fellow eco terrorists can find him.

Do they have to waste a dingy?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Not waste him, leave him adrift in a small boat. :tongueout:

·
Unfair Facist
26,917 Posts
Do they have to waste a dingy?
It would show their good intentions,

and besides how were they to know the thing had a leak in it?

·
Freelancer
9,789 Posts

Bah, they're whalers. They're not worried about messy...and why get hippy stink all over a dinghy? :supergrin:

·
Unfair Facist
26,917 Posts
Bah, they're whalers. They're not worried about messy...and why get hippy stink all over a dinghy? :supergrin:
THey could clean him up first. Tie a rope around him and drag him behind the ship for a day or two.

·
Registered
25 Posts
First let me say I am NOT taking the side of the hippies.

But you guys do realize that ALL COMERCIAL whaling has been banned by international treaty, and that the Japanese while may not be violating the letter of the law, they sure are violating the spirit of it.

They are allowed to take "samples" for research purposes. It's funny how all the "research samples" end up packaged and sold as food in Japan.

Blame the hippies all you want but the Japanese are not blameless in this.

·
Freelancer
9,789 Posts
THey could clean him up first. Tie a rope around him and drag him behind the ship for a day or two.
Jeeze, man. What'd the ocean ever do to you?

·
Obie Wan, RIP
10,923 Posts
First let me say I am NOT taking the side of the hippies.

But you guys do realize that ALL COMERCIAL whaling has been banned by international treaty, and that the Japanese while may not be violating the letter of the law, they sure are violating the spirit of it.

They are allowed to take "samples" for research purposes. It's funny how all the "research samples" end up packaged and sold as food in Japan.

Blame the hippies all you want but the Japanese are not blameless in this.
Actually they are. You can argue that the convention did not adequately cover the subject of research but the Japanese are complying fully with the document, which they were signatories to, that created the International Whaling Commission. Here is the text of the relevant passage:

INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION FOR THE REGULATION OF WHALING:

Article VIII

Notwithstanding anything contained in this Convention any Contracting Government may grant to any of its nationals a special permit authorizing that national to kill, take and treat whales for purposes of scientific research subject to such restrictions as to number and subject to such other conditions as the Contracting Government thinks fit, and the killing, taking, and treating of whales in accordance with the provisions of this Article shall be exempt from the operation of this Convention. Each Contracting Government shall report at once to the Commission all such authorizations which it has granted. Each Contracting Government may at any time revoke any such special permit which it has granted.
Any whales taken under these special permits shall so far as practicable be processed and the proceeds shall be dealt with in accordance with directions issued by the Government by which the permit was granted.
Each Contracting Government shall transmit to such body as may be designated by the Commission, in so far as practicable, and at intervals of not more than one year, scientific information available to that Government with respect to whales and whaling, including the results of research conducted pursuant to paragraph 1 of this Article and to Article IV.
Recognizing that continuous collection and analysis of biological data in connection with the operations of factory ships and land stations are indispensable to sound and constructive management of the whale fisheries, the Contracting Governments will take all practicable measures to obtain such data.

http://iwcoffice.org/commission/convention.htm#convention
Notice Japan is completely within it's rights to decide how many whales are taken for research. Notice also the convention requires as much of any whale carcass taken for research be used as possible.

Japan also claims the sale of whale products from the harvested animals does not cover the cost of the research.

·
Registered
16,892 Posts

It would be really funny if a killer whale ate him.

·
Impossiblist
43,839 Posts
i support the killing of whales.

gay baby whales too.

by any means possible.

if more whales were out of the ocean, the water levels would drop to offset greenlands melting.

they have to die.

·
MiniCapitalist
1,034 Posts
Why do I have a hard time believing that?
Ditto.

They are whaling.

Samples my ass. A thinking person really has to have a hard time believing they are out there doing research.

Now I hate hippies with a burning passion, but that does not blind me to the fact that the Japanese are whaling, plain and simple.

The few times I have watched parts of that show I am really conflicted over who I want to "win".

·
Registered
789 Posts
It's too bad that dumbass didn't go down with his fancy batmobile ship.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts