Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Since there is so much support for the Sea Shepherds on this board, I figured you guys would like to know they have "boarded" another ship. While I do not support this obvious commercial whaling, these Sea Shepherds probably should stop jumping aboard others' boats....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/australianzealandjapanwhaling

SYDNEY (AFP) – An anti-whaling activist has boarded a Japanese security ship to make a citizen's arrest of its captain over last month's sinking of a high-tech boat, an animal rights group said on Monday.

New Zealand's Pete Bethune, captain of the futuristic Ady Gil powerboat which was smashed in two on January 6, jumped aboard the Japanese ship from a jetski under the cover of darkness, the Sea Shepherd group said.

"This was an impossible mission," spokesman Paul Watson said in a statement.

"Captain Bethune boarded a Japanese whaling fleet security ship at high speed in total darkness, breached the spikes and anti-boarding nets and is presently onboard and the Japanese crew are still not aware that he is there.

"He is there to demand justice for the sinking of his ship."

Sea Shepherd said Bethune would try to arrest the Shonan Maru 2's captain for "the destruction of the Ady Gil and attempted murder of the six Ady Gil crewmembers".

He would also attempt to hand over a three million US dollar bill for the destruction of the state-of-the-art trimaran, which set the round-the-world powerboat record under its former name, Earthrace.

"Sea Shepherd anticipates that the Japanese will hold Captain Bethune as prisoner onboard the Shonan Maru 2," the group's statement added.

The activists claim to have saved the lives of hundreds of whales by harassing the annual hunt, which kills the animals using a loophole in an international moratorium which allows "lethal research".

Australia and New Zealand have called for restraint from both sides in their Antarctic clashes, with the activists deploying laser-like devices and stink bombs and the Japanese fleet operating military-style acoustic weapons.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you were throwing **** aboard my boat and just jumping on...I'd probably shoot to kill...no offense to the whales but these ppl are out of line sometimes. Hot button issue with me...I'm down with the harassment and all but they shouldnt be throwing crap and boarding without permission. They need a better method to stop the whaling..

·
Proud Veteran
7,741 Posts
Is this a freaking joke?

Citizens arrest...in the middle of the ocean!?! And the Japanese let them board? I would have shot them dead as soon as they made the attempt!

I don't know the laws on the seas but unless they are military coming on for a valid reason, I wouldn't let anyone board my ship.

Edit: I hope the Japanese eat him, literally!

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Is this a freaking joke?

Citizens arrest...in the middle of the ocean!?! And the Japanese let them board? I would have shot them dead as soon as they made the attempt!

I don't know the laws on the seas but unless they are military coming on for a valid reason, I wouldn't let anyone board my ship.

Edit: I hope the Japanese eat him, literally!
According to the article above he has snuck on board under the cover of night and has not yet but is planning on basically taking the captain hostage as far as I'm concerned. :dunno:

·
Proud Veteran
7,741 Posts
According to the article above he has snuck on board under the cover of night and has not yet but is planning on basically taking the captain hostage as far as I'm concerned. :dunno:
Yeah, I re-read that and saw that.

I really hope the hippies get what they have coming.

·
Unfair Facist
26,891 Posts
"Splash"

Sea Shepherd? what sea shepherd?

No speak engrish

·
Khem-Adam
2,411 Posts
If he boarded my boat I'd simply have him removed. Right then and there. Throw him overboard and see how he does in the middle of the ocean without a life jacket in freezing water.

What I hope happens is that no one ever hears from him again. The whalers continue on and just return home after they're done. And when asked about it they simply say they never found anyone on board. After all the other terrorist don't actually know that he made it onto the boat, they just believe he did. For all they know he could've fallen into the water off his jetski.

·
Banned
12,203 Posts
If you were throwing **** aboard my boat and just jumping on...I'd probably shoot to kill...no offense to the whales but these ppl are out of line sometimes. Hot button issue with me...I'm down with the harassment and all but they shouldnt be throwing crap and boarding without permission. They need a better method to stop the whaling..
Why do they need to stop the whaling? The whales they're hunting aren't endangered.

In a perfect world that SOB wouldn't leave that ship alive or if he did he wouldn't be for long. I'd duct tape his smelly hippie ass to the explosive tip of a harpoon and launch him back into the wheelhouse of his mother ship. :steamed:

·
hates you
32,672 Posts
Make him walk the plank.

Or hang him from the highest yardarm.

What is a yardarm anyhow?
Crosspiece on the mast of a ship that the sails are mounted to and hung from.

<----helpful.

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
"Sea Shepherd anticipates that the Japanese will hold Captain Bethune as prisoner onboard the Shonan Maru 2," the group's statement added.
This is my favorite part. Are they going to cry when he is held captive? Yes. But they readily admit that is what they expected.

I fail to see the logic.

·
Registered
16,889 Posts
Me thinks Mr. Bethune doesn't understand the Japanese justice system.

They have a 90% plus conviction rate based mostly on confessions. Criminal suspects can be held and interrogated for 23 days without being charged. That's 23 days of sleep deprivation and constant interrogation.

They won't publicize his trial or put it on TV like OJ. He won't get an international pulpit to speak out against Japanese whaling. When he is convicted of piracy in a Japanese court he will spend a long time in a very stark prison.

I think he would be better off jumping overboard right now if the Japanese have not found him yet.

·
That's right!
8,151 Posts
Just when the stupidity can't grow...it does.

He could be charged by the US too. Sayonara bisshh.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts