Anti-whalers, Japanese fleet exchange water-cannon fire

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Smashy, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Smashy

Smashy

Feb 9, 2010 (5:53a CST)
    By TANALEE SMITH (Associated Press Writer)

ADELAIDE, Australia - Activists vowing to stop the killing of whales exchanged water-cannon fire with a Japanese whaling fleet they are tailing in the Antarctic Ocean, as sea confrontations that have led to collisions and a sunken vessel continue.

[​IMG]

The Sea Shepherd conservation group said its ships, the Steve Irwin and the Bob Barker, confronted the Japanese factory ship Nisshin Maru early Monday.

"The factory ship turned on their water cannons and were surprised when the Steve Irwin responded with a more powerful water cannon that had a couple of the whalers diving for the bridge doors," said a Monday statement from the group.

On Saturday, the Bob Barker and a Japanese harpoon boat collided in icy Antarctic waters, causing minor damage to both vessels. A Japanese whaler struck Sea Shepherd's high-tech speed boat Ady Gil and sheared off its nose on Jan. 6. The Bob Barker then came to rescue the crew of the Ady Gil, which sank a day later.

Japanese Fisheries Agency official Shigeki Takaya condemned the use of water cannons after Monday's confrontation. "As we have always said, we condemn the act. It is totally unforgivable," he said.

A Japanese foreign ministry official said Japan lodged a protest with the Netherlands and Togo over the water cannon fire in the Antarctic Ocean - the countries where the Steve Irwin and Bob Barker are registered.

"We asked the respective governments to stop the ships from obstructing our whaling activities," the official said, speaking anonymously, citing departmental policy. He declined to elaborate further.

Sea Shepherd, a U.S.-based activist group, sends vessels to confront the Japanese fleet each year. Two major clashes have already occurred this year, one a collision that destroyed a Sea Shepherd vessel.

Sea Shepherd founder Paul Watson said his activists have prevented the whalers from catching any whales since Saturday.

"We intend to turn these three whaling-free days into three whaling-free weeks," Watson said in the statement. "I am confident that once again we will severely cut their kill quotas and we will once again negate their profits."

Japan has a six-vessel whaling fleet in Antarctic waters as part of its scientific whaling program, an allowed exception to the International Whaling Commission's 1986 ban on commercial whaling. It hunts hundreds of mostly minke whales, which are not an endangered species. Whale meat not used for study is sold for consumption in Japan, which critics say is the real reason for the hunts.

Watson estimated the whaling fleet has so far killed about 350 minke whales.

Sea Shepherd activists try to block the whalers from firing harpoons, and they dangle ropes in the water to try to snarl the Japanese ships' propellers. They also hurl packets of stinking rancid butter at their rivals.

The whalers have responded by firing water cannons and sonar devices meant to disorient the activists. Collisions have occurred occasionally.

The Sea Shepherd statement said its two vessels have enough fuel to pursue the whaling fleet for another month.

"It does not matter where they go, east or west along the Antarctic Coast," said Steve Irwin 1st Officer Locky MacLean. "We intend to stick to their rear like glue and we will not allow a single whale to be loaded onto the decks of that foul floating abattoir."

http://kai03.qwest.com/WindowsLive/...ient=landingpage&qid=2by05rymardlml45pehwc3ay

2. SVTNate

SVTNate Packers fan

3. Lotiki

Lotiki All that is man

F&$% you whale, and F^%$ you dolphin!

4. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

If I were Japan I'd send in a couple of Naval vessels, board these ships, arrest the crews, scuttle their ship and fly them to Japan to stand trial for piracy and terrorism. Problem solved.

5. Bruce H

Bruce H

I think they should sink the Steve Irwin and the Bob Barker and shoot survivors in the water. Then come to the US and file suit in court and take all every member of this group has.

6. RustySocket

RustySocket

Its just a matter of time before something really bad happens... then the ecoterrorists can play the victim role... hopefully they don't just get one or two of them but rather they take the whole crew down.

I still can't figure out why someone hasn't got shot yet.

7. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

Probably because the Japenese don't allow firearms on their vessels.

8. baliblaster

baliblaster

Oh yeah Paul already did last season,that was the worst piece of acting garbage i have ever seen.Like they are really going to shoot that fat turd off of his own boat.I watch the show because every time i turn it on i am amazed what lengths these ******bags go to,to save the whales.

9. RustySocket

RustySocket

I wasn't aware of that.

10. raven11

raven11

there is a reason why the best Airsoft companys are Japaneses

11. RustySocket

RustySocket

That I did know.

12. mike7465

mike7465 Smirking

I would pay per view to watch those nut jobs on the Sea Sheppard get pelted with BB gun fire...
    :rofl:

13. raven11

raven11

lets just say the Japanese have a different way of thinking. they had a long history of civil wars. due to that they ban pistols. Shotguns and long guns are still available but they are restricted to single shot, and only for hunting. there is a yearly written test and every three months the police come by and inspect your weapons/safe/and ammo

what surprises me about their culture that doesn't encourage immigration,and a strict moral code crime is a non-issue. i have no problem walking around Kyoto at 1:00pm , but try the same thing in Chicago and i hope your will is up to date

14. 2bgop

2bgop

Is it wrong to want them both to sink?

15. Twisted Steel

Twisted Steel And Sex Appeal

I wonder if the whalers could use slingshots and big ball bearings?

16. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

If he really was shot though, a) that was a hell of a shot. b) sign up the shooter for sniper school and put his schools to good use

17. Bruce H

Bruce H

I guess a few like minded individuals could lease a Japanese whailing ship. Things are slow and unemployment is high. Might as well have a little fun.

18. vafish

vafish

What about the big fricking harpoon gun that fires explosive tipped harpoons at the whales?

Wouldn't an explosive tipped harpoon through the pilot house of the Bob Barker send a pretty strong message to back off?

19. mike253

mike253 NRA - IWLA

Whaling ships should be equipped with catapults large enough to launch whales.. :)

20. moeman

moeman

This is dumb hunting... Driving species into endangered status is bad ju-ju.

The Japanese hunt whales behind Japan's so-called "scientific whaling" which data from dead animals is collected as BS to cover trade. Fisheries Agency of Japan has set up its own company to try and sell the 'chopped and boxed' by-products of its science to schools, hospitals and restaurants.

[​IMG]

What's next the white rhino and the Bengal tiger?

[​IMG]

I'm not against sustanable hunting and fishing... Such as done in many wild game parks in Africa etc...