Anti-Olympic Protests Turn Violent in Vancouver

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by ronduke, Feb 16, 2010.

1. ronduke

ronduke

Anti-Olympic Protests Turn Violent in Vancouver
    Demonstrators Smash Windows, Kick Cars

By PHRED DVORAK
    VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- Anti-Olympic protests turned violent here Saturday, as demonstrators smashed windows, overturned newspaper boxes and spray-painted buildings and cars downtown.

Vancouver police said that about 100 masked protesters marched through the city Saturday morning, kicking cars, ripping down signs and vandalizing buildings. The masked protestors, who the police say were intermingled with a few hundred other "legitimate" demonstrators, smashed windows of the Hudson Bay Company's flagship downtown store. Down the street, they tossed a newspaper box through the window of a Toronto-Dominion Bank.

Vancouver police said they called on the help of Olympic security forces to stop the vandalism, and had dispersed the demonstrators and arrested several by midday.

The violence came on the first full day of Vancouver's Olympic Games, which have been accused by activist groups of everything from civil liberties violations to destroying the environment.

View Slideshow

Reuters

Simon Ammann of Switzerland reacts as he won the individual normal hill ski jumping event at the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics in Whistler, British Columbia.
    Thousands of protesters staged a peaceful demonstration Friday evening, in parallel with the Games' opening ceremony. Saturday's protests, dubbed "2010 Heart Attack," consisted of smaller groups acting on their own, said Alissa Westeragrd-Thorpe, a member of the Olympic Resistance Network who was participating as an independent observer.

Saturday's protests underscored the difficulties police here face in trying to handle the large and varied group of activists who've gathered to protest various aspects of the Olympics. They include the Council of Canadians, the country's largest citizens' group, which promotes progressive policies on such issues as fair trade and public health care. Vancouver police said Saturday's demonstrators included members of a violent anarchist group. Some of those demonstrators taunted and spat at officers, in what seemed to be a deliberate attempt to provoke trouble, the police said in a statement.

Tensions between activists and police have been compounded by the sheer size of 15,500-strong dedicated security force Olympics organizers have mobilized to protect the Games. Local activists say they've been interrogated by Olympics security personnel at their homes or workplaces.

Reuters

A policeman tries to detain demonstrators during a protest in downtown Vancouver.
    Some protesters damaged property as a way to draw attention to Olympics-related problems, said one female activist who declined to be identified for fear of arrest. The Hudson Bay Company, a major Canadian sponsor of the Games, was targeted because they had exploited an aboriginal group in its sales, she said. Protesters also targeted the Royal Bank of Canada for its role in funding environmentally harmful oil projects in Alberta, she said.

A Hudson Bay Company spokeswoman said the store is working closely with that aboriginal group to sell its products. A Royal Bank spokesman said its branches weren't damaged.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704124704575064011426595220.html?mod=rss_Sports

2. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

What a bunch of ****** bags.

3. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

I mean really what is there to protest it's friggin Canada...Winter Olympics half the american team is baked anyway.

4. Gangrel

Gangrel

Why would you protest the olympics?

5. GPalmer

GPalmer CLM

Uhhh, 'cause you were an ******* and wanted to throw something through the window of someone who isn't a loser like you? :dunno:

6. blueiron

blueiron

Anarchism.

The sooner someone gets the stones to start using gunfire on them, the sooner that type of nonsense stops.

7. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

I was wondering that myself.... PETA cause they serve hamburgers to the athletes in the Olympic Village cafeteria?

I think you're onto something here. Its not about there being something to protest at the Olympics. Its that because of the Olympics, you have a bigger audience for your douchbaggery. Unless you've travelled all the way from Germany to protest, then its Deutchbaggery.

Randy

8. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

I remember a certain Estonian prisoner, (in our system), whom was definitely quite the rabble rouser.

9. Hack

Quite enough of that Mister!

10. blueiron

blueiron

Eh.

He misspelled it anyhow.

11. The-Fly

The-Fly The Bofh

I've always have felt that the only proper response to a violent riot is to machine gun all of the ******ers.

Maybe its because I was 2 hours south of all the fun and games when LA self destructed back in 92.

12. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I am not surprised that this is another "left" leaning protest based in the premise that the Olympics destroys civil liberties and hurts the environment. It seems the left, whatever segment it is, be it WTO protests, environmentalist, PETA, anti-war, G20, etc., cannot peacefully do anything. They have to destroy stuff and act like idiots.

You guys are right, if deadly force is authorized, there would be a lot less of the nonsense. You guys don't see many protests around Area 51 or any other military installations where the MP's with M-16's stand next to signs authorizing the use of deadly force, do you?

13. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Cause everyone else has a ticket.

14. Detectorist

Detectorist

Mexico City, 1968.

15. Hack

As long as they are not on the federal property, they are usually allowed to demonstrate, and do. Once they touch feet to federal property, "IT'S ON CUZ!!"

16. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

They're in CANADA for pete's sake.... why WOULDN'T you be angry about that?

17. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

18. Hollywood D

Hollywood D

I'm going up there to protest the protests. I really want to experience a Vancouver PD beatdown.

19. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

How much trouble can you get into with the I.A. when it is about what you did in another country?

20. Hack

He, he. In our case, it would depend on the country, IIRC.