Anti-counterfeitting commercial

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by GlocknSpiehl, Jan 4, 2010.

1. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member

So I was in Brasil for the holidays, visiting my wife's family. Saw an interesting PSA on TV there about counterfeit videos, cds and games. Since the games can cost $150 and up, many people there buy counterfeit ones and install chips in their Xboxs and playstations, if need be.

The commercial showed terrorist attacks around the world, juxtaposed with counterfeit cds, etc. The point being that a lot of the money gets fed back to terrorist organizations. It was a very cool ad. My B-I-L said it was becoming harder to find counterfeit games, tho music cds are still very common.

2. cagnoli

cagnoli Patriot First

Counterfeit games, CD's and DVD's are something we will probably never get away from. As soon as the manufacturers come up with a way to stop it, the counterfeiters find a work around.

I'd rather see adds like that on TV and on the US DVD's we buy here, but I don't see them except on some Sony Blu-Rays.

3. Gary W Trott

Gary W Trott Prickley Fan

Any statistics on how large a share, if any, that terrorist groups have in the counterfeit CD/DVD/video game business? It makes for a good commercial but is most likely just some unsubstanciated hype. A better commercial would be to liken counterfeiters to thieves who are stealing food from the mouths of the families of the people who create these intellectual properties.

4. Rooster Rugburn

Rooster Rugburn Got Pignose?

It is hype Gary. Remember after 9-11, Bill O'Reilly started trying to blame drug use for terrorism. Even the government picked up on it and did some of it's own ads.

It's odd how governments work. They try to blame stuff like crime rings for terrorism, but they look the other way when it comes to the Saudis or the oil cartels actually sponsoring terrorism.

5. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

Just a note of logic here:

As long as long as the signals that permit human beings to see, hear, touch and smell are analog, you will be able to copy....

6. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

Around 100,000 Xbox users found out the hard way that modding an XBox is a no no. They got banned from online play.