close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Anti-Bear loads for a Glock?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Jeff_king54, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Jeff_king54

Jeff_king54

I recently purchased a gen 4 Glock 21 .45. I plan on carrying it when I'm out hunting, fishing, picking berries, etc.. While I realize it's not an ideal bear gun, I wanted a gun that's very durable but still packs a punch. I live in Maine, so the only bear I'll be running into will be black bear. I was curious what ammo you would recommend if you had to use a .45 on a charging bear.

Edit: I'm a law enforcement major, so I probably won't change the weapon.

P.S. Again, I know that it's not ideal. If I had a holster for it and it wasn't in such great condition, I'd bring out my .44 magnum ruger redhawk

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  2. Pepiot

Pepiot Yippee ki-yay...

I would convert the 21 to a 10mm or 460 Rowland.

crockett likes this.

3. Tvov

Tvov

Interesting to think about is comparing hollowpoint or round nose -- Would hollowpoint "clog" with thick fur? and round nose would certainly penetrate better fur, bone, muscle.

Also, black bears are not considered nearly as hard to deal with as brown or grizzly. For example, "standard" deer hunting rifle ammo is considered fine for black bear, when you want something more powerful for brown or grizzly.

4. refugeepj

refugeepj

I went to 10mm, G20 for woods gun.
    were I in need of more, such as for grizzly bear, I think I would want a bazooka.
    taxidermist shop I walked into about 20 years ago with my father and youngest son had a seven foot tall erect black bear just finished. it was impressive. more impressive was the owner took it with I single arrow. he has my vote for huge stones! hunting with no backup and using a bow and arrow is out of my comfort zone.

RustyL likes this.
  5. dartor

dartor

I carry my g23 with Hornady 180gr xtp and feel very comfortable. I know people will say that .40 is too small, but it works for me.

6. rock_castle

rock_castle Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

They had better be small bears with a .45 ACP.

ElevenBravoDotNet likes this.
  7. SmokeRoss

SmokeRoss GTDS Member #49

I'd get a holster for the Redhawk. And the proper ammo. This advice thoughtful you by someone who has killed multiple bears with the .44 magnum

8. Tvov

Tvov

He's talking about black bears, they average a lot smaller than brown or grizzly bears.

9. sourdough44

sourdough44

I like lightweight. Unless one is near Yellowstone or AK no need to get worked up over black bears. As a 'hunted' population, unless you get tangled up with Cubs they will just scoot 99+% of the time.

I'd rather carry a 40 semi auto than the much heavier Ruger 45 Colt, unless I was on a bear hunt or tracking. Look at statistics of what has the higher likelihood of occurring. It well could be trouble at the gas station or roadside on the way to the bush.

Don't tell anyone, but I have even carried the 9mm, 380, and 22 rim fire while in the same woods bears call home. My dog wouldn't let them surprise me anyway.

10. Sigobsessed

Sigobsessed Ruggedly handsome

A male black bear can get up to 600lbs which is not as large as a brown bear but I don't think I'd want to rely on a 45acp to face one down of that size no matter what the ammo choice is!

11. Glockworks

Glockworks Who, me? Silver Member

I
    It works until it doesn't. I hope for you it always "works".

12. F350

F350

I'm going to take a shot at baiting black bear this spring and thinking using the bow, and I'll be hunting alone; no biggie I'll be using a tree stand 15-20 feet in the air.

I have ordered this ammo for the GLOCK 20 which I'll be carrying for back up.

http://www.homedefensegun.net/extreme-penetrator/

crockett likes this.
  13. Tvov

Tvov

Did you double check that you are allowed to carry a handgun while bowhunting? Some states that is not legal.

14. Hoochrunners

Hoochrunners

Or .45 Super. This of course would require some modifications.

At a minimum I'd go with hard cast ammo through an aftermarket barrel if staying .45 ACP and hope it's not a very big bear.

15. SmokeRoss

I took one with a bow several years ago. One arrow was all it took.

16. SmokeRoss

When you say 'it works for me" does that mean you have used it defensively against bears?

ElevenBravoDotNet likes this.
  17. dartor

dartor

I have not shot a bear with my g23, but I am confident with my ability and 14 rounds that I could stop one if needed. With that being said, I would not go bear hunting with it!

18. F350

F350

No special spring bow season for bear in the management area I'm planning to hunt, I could take a bear with the 10mm if I wanted. Just not sure I would want the 10mm to be the primary.

19. SmokeRoss

I have been charged by bears several times. I killed one charging black bear. I know several guys that have been mauled. You will NOT get off 14 rounds. You would be lucky to get off one. Trust me on that.

20. crockett

crockett

700gr hardcast in a .500. At least a hot 10mm with 230gr hardcast out of a 20, better 40. just sayin