Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased a gen 4 Glock 21 .45. I plan on carrying it when I'm out hunting, fishing, picking berries, etc.. While I realize it's not an ideal bear gun, I wanted a gun that's very durable but still packs a punch. I live in Maine, so the only bear I'll be running into will be black bear. I was curious what ammo you would recommend if you had to use a .45 on a charging bear.

Edit: I'm a law enforcement major, so I probably won't change the weapon.

P.S. Again, I know that it's not ideal. If I had a holster for it and it wasn't in such great condition, I'd bring out my .44 magnum ruger redhawk

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
Interesting to think about is comparing hollowpoint or round nose -- Would hollowpoint "clog" with thick fur? and round nose would certainly penetrate better fur, bone, muscle.

Also, black bears are not considered nearly as hard to deal with as brown or grizzly. For example, "standard" deer hunting rifle ammo is considered fine for black bear, when you want something more powerful for brown or grizzly.

·
Registered
12,075 Posts
I went to 10mm, G20 for woods gun.
were I in need of more, such as for grizzly bear, I think I would want a bazooka.
taxidermist shop I walked into about 20 years ago with my father and youngest son had a seven foot tall erect black bear just finished. it was impressive. more impressive was the owner took it with I single arrow. he has my vote for huge stones! hunting with no backup and using a bow and arrow is out of my comfort zone.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I carry my g23 with Hornady 180gr xtp and feel very comfortable. I know people will say that .40 is too small, but it works for me.

·
With Liberty and Justice for all.
20,894 Posts
They had better be small bears with a .45 ACP.

·
GTDS Member #49
10,104 Posts
I'd get a holster for the Redhawk. And the proper ammo. This advice thoughtful you by someone who has killed multiple bears with the .44 magnum

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
They had better be small bears with a .45 ACP.
He's talking about black bears, they average a lot smaller than brown or grizzly bears.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I like lightweight. Unless one is near Yellowstone or AK no need to get worked up over black bears. As a 'hunted' population, unless you get tangled up with Cubs they will just scoot 99+% of the time.

I'd rather carry a 40 semi auto than the much heavier Ruger 45 Colt, unless I was on a bear hunt or tracking. Look at statistics of what has the higher likelihood of occurring. It well could be trouble at the gas station or roadside on the way to the bush.

Don't tell anyone, but I have even carried the 9mm, 380, and 22 rim fire while in the same woods bears call home. My dog wouldn't let them surprise me anyway.

·
Ruggedly handsome
24,041 Posts
He's talking about black bears, they average a lot smaller than brown or grizzly bears.
A male black bear can get up to 600lbs which is not as large as a brown bear but I don't think I'd want to rely on a 45acp to face one down of that size no matter what the ammo choice is!

·
Banned
4,989 Posts
I
I carry my g23 with Hornady 180gr xtp and feel very comfortable. I know people will say that .40 is too small, but it works for me.
It works until it doesn't. I hope for you it always "works".

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
Did you double check that you are allowed to carry a handgun while bowhunting? Some states that is not legal.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
I would convert the 21 to a 10mm or 460 Rowland.
Or .45 Super. This of course would require some modifications.

At a minimum I'd go with hard cast ammo through an aftermarket barrel if staying .45 ACP and hope it's not a very big bear.

·
GTDS Member #49
10,104 Posts
I'm going to take a shot at baiting black bear this spring and thinking using the bow, and I'll be hunting alone; no biggie I'll be using a tree stand 15-20 feet in the air.

I have ordered this ammo for the GLOCK 20 which I'll be carrying for back up.

http://www.homedefensegun.net/extreme-penetrator/
I took one with a bow several years ago. One arrow was all it took.

·
GTDS Member #49
10,104 Posts
When you say 'it works for me" does that mean you have used it defensively against bears?

Reactions: ElevenBravoDotNet

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
When you say 'it works for me" does that mean you have used it defensively against bears?
I have not shot a bear with my g23, but I am confident with my ability and 14 rounds that I could stop one if needed. With that being said, I would not go bear hunting with it!

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
Did you double check that you are allowed to carry a handgun while bowhunting? Some states that is not legal.
No special spring bow season for bear in the management area I'm planning to hunt, I could take a bear with the 10mm if I wanted. Just not sure I would want the 10mm to be the primary.

·
GTDS Member #49
10,104 Posts
I have not shot a bear with my g23, but I am confident with my ability and 14 rounds that I could stop one if needed. With that being said, I would not go bear hunting with it!
I have been charged by bears several times. I killed one charging black bear. I know several guys that have been mauled. You will NOT get off 14 rounds. You would be lucky to get off one. Trust me on that.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts